why does Michael Brauer use that >specific< boombox?
Brian Brock
19th September 2005
Old 19th September 2005
Gear maniac

why does Michael Brauer use that >specific< boombox?

I guess I missed this, although I've searched here and on the web, but as there's already been a couple questions to Mr. Brauer about the boombox, without answering this question, I thought I'd see if there's any common knowledge about this. Specifically, if the boombox is meant as a reference that is similar to what people generally listen on, why use a specific boombox from Japan that is no longer manufactured? Does it have like balanced +4 line ins or something?

Thanks

Brian
19th September 2005
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

Probably because he is used to it. No magic sauce. Funny, I bet the price on those is about to go through the roof on the used market!
19th September 2005
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

I also use an old Sony boom box occassionally, why ??

Three reasons

1. It has RCA jack inputs

2. It's a basic, standard boombox, nothing fancy or no colorization of sound. I used to bring it to work with me and listened to it all the time. So it's something I'm familiar with.

3. Because I just happened to have it laying around.
19th September 2005
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

19th September 2005
Old 19th September 2005

he's used to it

i'm surprised no one's mentioned getting one of those lil ipod FM transmitters and hanging it off the back of your mac.

play the mix in itunes and go listen out in the car... maybe it doesn't have enough range?

seems to me like it'd be a pretty good simulation of what a mix would sound like "on the radio"
19th September 2005
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

My "radio" speakers are the little ones in the flat-screen Sony video monitor I use for the computer. I have them set up as a split off my headphone send. Works great.
20th September 2005
Old 20th September 2005
Head of Bumping Security (B.S)

This reminds me of the thread about Bob Clearmountain and those little Apple speakers he uses. They too are discontinued. In his case it's something about getting the low mids right, or......? I don't know, you might want to search for that thread.
20th September 2005
Old 20th September 2005
Gear addict

Location: The Netherlands (yes that's the country surrounding Amsterdam!)

Do you guys really find it strange?
I always check my mixes on a boombox tooo.... And yes it's always the same boombox... that's why it's a reference. His one just isn't build any more... mine isn't either, but that does not make it special or anything... (I can make you a list of more than 800 different boomboxes, wich are not sold anymore)
If mine breaks down, I have to find a "new" boombox reference... bummer...
2nd October 2005
Old 2nd October 2005
Past Guest Moderator

hi guys, to answer your question, I use it because I think it's really accurate. It has bose speakers in them and the sound also is realeased from the rear. having a line function is great of course(stereo mini). That boombox isn't going to go throught the roof because you'll never find one. It was only available in Japan for a short period of time ten years ago. Early this year, i too started to get nervous at the fact that it might blow up and it was my main reference. I wrote the guy in japan that I got my first one from and he just happened to have the last two in his garage and was considering throwing them out. So, now i'm set.

the point of having such a small little reference, (in my case, located behind me) is the idea of mixing essentially in mono. Mono is good.
2nd October 2005
Old 2nd October 2005
Lives for gear

I agree with Mike, using a mono reference can be a good thing for reference. I also use a cheap table radio with a 4" speaker, just to see how it all sounds on a mono player, that some people may use in a real life setting. That makes much more sense to me than a set of specially designed $1,500 monitors that no ordinary consumer would ever own.
2nd October 2005
Old 2nd October 2005
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I guess the questions is:

Can anyone recommend a good current model boombox that fits the bill?
2nd October 2005
Old 2nd October 2005
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'm using the Philips AZ2555 boombox. It has RCA inputs.
Sounds good...not great. I've had better systems in the past but it helps.
2nd October 2005
Old 2nd October 2005
Lives for gear

I haven't shopped for a boombox for a long time, so I'm not familiar with what's currently available, but I would say look for something mid-priced, not to cheap, not too expensive, something that seems to be a good seller. I saw a similar table radio to mine at a drug store for $29.99 a few months ago. I got mine at a garage sale for $3.00. My Sony boombox cost about $100 many many years ago. If it has a line in, then your all set, otherwise you'll only be able to listen off cd's or tape.

The Shuffle player or an ipod from Apple might also work as a good reference, as many people nowdays are listening to music while on the run. So alot depends on the style of music and the target audience your making music for.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search