New Reply
Subscribe
not_so_new
19th September 2005
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

V71 Tube change out.

Hi Oliver

A while back I heard you say that the tubes in the V71 were chosen because they were the best all around tubes for the unit but you found different tubes that you liked for bass only applications. When I win my V71 in the giveaway I will be using it for bass only so I would like to swap out the tube.

Can you tell me what the tube was that you liked more for bass and can you think of anyone you would recommend to do the work? I stay away from working on anything with tubes in it....

Also what is the difference in the tone with the tube swap?

Thanks for taking the time to hang out with us here!!
20th September 2005
Old 20th September 2005
Gear nut

Hi there,

while designing the V71 I had to keep in mind to keep is as all round as possible, over the last three years I build a few custom units, mostly the customers showed up and my shop (still in Seattle) and we played around with different output tubes. So if someone want to try any EF80/6BX6/EF860 or Z719 and 6HM6 will work in place of the EF844, the tone depends on the maker, and no circuit change is needed, just swap and play.

There are several other tubes that can be used, but than a pin change is needed.

If you win the unit I throw in a couple of different tubes to play with...

Best regards,

Oliver
C/G
20th September 2005
Old 20th September 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

All I can say is that the stock V-71 is the dog's balls! Used it on the weekend on a session with a Fender jazz bass and an RE20 on an Ampeg 4 x 10" with an Orange AD200 bass head. The combination of the two was fantastico! The DI had some very nice attack that the cabinet did not have and we dialed in the gain for a bit of grit. Took all of about 10 min to get a great bass sound. It made the synths sound very sweet too. I wonder how the different tubes Oliver mentioned will effect the sound?

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search