Lotus Bass Guitar???
Old 14th October 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Lotus Bass Guitar???

Is this a great bass guitar. I played with it a little at a local pawn shop and I liked the tone of it. Do you guys have any experience with these??? It looks like this one.

Old 14th October 2009
Lives for gear

if you like the tone and it plays good and the price is good, get it,
there are just good and bad instruments
Old 14th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
if you like the tone and it plays good and the price is good, get it,
there are just good and bad instruments

Exactly! I used to be concerned about what it said on the headstock, and then I bought a used Ibanez Artcore. Sure, I've changed the nut, the tuners, and the pickups... but for less than $400 I've got my "go to" guitar, which plays AND sounds better than my $4000 Gibson or $2000 Jackson!!!
Old 14th October 2009
Lives for gear

thumbsup

e, i play a schecter 200€ guitar at the moment with stock pickups and did an album and many live gigs with it
i had many guitars in my life, some for 20x the schecter price and there is just one rule for a good guitar...it should be a good guitar lol
it´s really easy like this
there are no brands or models for me anymore
off, course there are some great guitars that are expensive, but there are so many guitars unrecognized in the corners of the music stores...and that´s cool
safe money for holiday...
happy shredding :-)
Old 14th October 2009
Lives for gear

I agree that if you like it, don't worry about the name. I own and play guitars and amps that most purists would be offended by. In fact, I have a Lotus strat body that is one one of my test bed guitars, and honestly it sounds pretty good. The frets were screwed up by the previous owner, and I had an old Ibanez neck I slapped on it that was a better neck anyhow.

However, just so you know, Lotus were cheapies. So, I'd check the fretwork to be sure it's up to snuff (unless the action is already low enough for you), and I certainly wouldn't pay more than $150 for it, which is probly about what it cost new.

Whenever I think about off-brand guitars, I remember an interview I read with EVH many years ago. The interviewer asked, "What do you look for in a guitar?" and Eddie replied, "Six Strings". I love that. The guy re-wrote our conceptions of guitar playing with a guitar made of Warmouth rejects.
Old 14th October 2009
Gear addict

Cool

Is it as good as the Lotus car? :D
Couldn't help my self! :D
Old 14th October 2009
Lives for gear

, well said
EVH could play on a tennis racket an still sound like EVH
,oh or is it like Jennifer Batten (i was just a fan) once said ironic to me at a music show "you need this digxxx thing to sound like this"
, it´s all much easier than it seems, trust yourself
Old 15th October 2009

Don't get me wrong guys I am a complete newb at guitar playing. I have plucked the strings on a P-Bass before but with I plucked the string on that cheap ass Lotus Bass, the tone was just incredible. The sound was deep and thick and this was without it being hooked up to an amp. I truly loved the sound. The pawn shop wants $200 dollars for it and everybody keeps telling me that it is way overpriced. What should I do?
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

It IS overpriced. But, if it's what you really want, what's it worth to YOU?

Walk in there with cash, say you'll pay this much now or walk...they'll probably take the deal.
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

You should offer them $150.

I believe the main reason to buy an instrument, any instrument, is because it inspires you to play it. If every time you walk into the room you look at it and think 'I'm just gonna sit here and play bass for a few minutes' then it might be worth $200.

But something you really should think about is that the quality of cheap instruments has gone way up in the last 10-15 years. I worked at a music store in the early 90s, and what we sold back then for $300-$500 is the quality of a $100-$200 guitar now. So this Lotus is probly a good step down quality-wise from a Squire.

So, if you aren't experienced enough to know that it is a good instrument (nothing wrong with that - we all have to learn sometime), I'd pass for $200. If they'd go $150, I'd think about it. You are probly better off getting a used Epiphone or Squire.
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

Very true, what Dr. Mordo says. Those Rondo basses are pretty amazing for the price...a lot less than a used Lotus too.
Old 15th October 2009

One thing I noticed on the Lotus was that the strings were very solid and gave a deep, filtered tone when plucked. That sound I have never heard from a bass that wasn't amped up. I think I'm going to try to show the pawn shop owner some cheaper prices I have found for the Lotus brand. Anybody familar with or like the tond of certaing Lotus Bass guitars???
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

In my experience Lotus guitars have been total crap, but wood moves, ages, bends, warps etc...sometimes it's a good one no matter what the brand.

Played about 20 strats before I settled on one, all were new standards and all played an sounded a bit different.

I ended up buying a SX Jazz a while back from Rondo Music Home Page
It was 115.00 shipped to my front door, got it in under a week. I love it, sounds and plays great after a good setup.

if it plays and sounds good and it's affordable, buy it.
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
One thing I noticed on the Lotus was that the strings were very solid and gave a deep, filtered tone when plucked. That sound I have never heard from a bass that wasn't amped up. I think I'm going to try to show the pawn shop owner sound cheaper prices I have found for the Lotus brand.
From everything you are saying, I can tell you are already in love with the bass and that is awesome. Get the price as low as you can, but if you have to pay the $200, then just pay it and enjoy the crap out of it. When you find an instrument that speaks to you, do not let it get away. Do not miss out on it just because they won't come down in price. That's my advice.

I want to read a post tomorrow that you bought it (tells us all you got a great deal, even if you didn't) and how much you are digging that filtered tone that you have not heard on any other bass.

I'll check back tomorrow.

Cheers!
Old 15th October 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboymusic View Post
From everything you are saying, I can tell you are already in love with the bass and that is awesome. Get the price as low as you can, but if you have to pay the $200, then just pay it and enjoy the crap out of it. When you find an instrument that speaks to you, do not let it get away. Do not miss out on it just because they won't come down in price. That's my advice.

I want to read a post tomorrow that you bought it (tells us all you got a great deal) and how much you are digging that filtered tone that you have not heard on any other bass.

I'll check back tomorrow.

Cheers!
Thanks for the reply. Man, that tone I heard was truly amazing to my ears and was exactly the sound I want in a live bass. Funny thing though, I just put down some money on a Fender 5-String Jazz Bass with an amazing Candy Pearl Blue paint job. My local music shop wants $250 for it and it is listed at $525. Decisions, decisions.
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Man, that tone I heard was truly amazing to my ears and was exactly the sound I want in a live bass.
And what is the decision?

I'm sitting in a room full of guitars and bass guitars, and the best sounding one? You guessed it; the ugliest one.
Tone is everything, they won't be listening to the color of it's paint job.

And guess which one gets the "Oh My God"s when musicians pick it up to play?
Old 15th October 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboymusic View Post
And what is the decision?
Hahahaha............I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. I keep hearing about the poor build quality of Lotus guitars but this one seemed pretty well kept but then again, what do I know.
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

Go play them both again and go with your gut. You'll do fine.
Old 15th October 2009

^^Will do and I'll report back.
Old 15th October 2009
Gear maniac

A friend of mine had a Lotus bass when we were kids. I remember it always sounded pretty cool. I think it was around $350 brand new. I say get it if you think it sounds cool!!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search