Radial Workhorse 5000
2nd December 2009
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
No, 8 mono inputs into a stereo buss. Consoles used to be spec'ed this way. Channels first, then busses, and finally the stereo buss. So you'd see 48x24x2 or 24x8x2, etc.
So the whole mix section is usable -- i.e. you have volume/pan for each of those inputs, correct? I'm digging it; would be really fun if someone made a 500-series A/D/A box...
2nd December 2009
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp View Post
So the whole mix section is usable -- i.e. you have volume/pan for each of those inputs, correct? I'm digging it; would be really fun if someone made a 500-series A/D/A box...
Here's the pre-release info with pic
2nd December 2009
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Yeah, I've read that -- the phrase "the high performance mixer can also be used as an 8 channel analog summer box" combined with the summing mixer inputs being mono seems to suggest that it simply sums 8 channels in mono if you don't have any input modules installed. But, at the same time, it would seem odd to not have the volume/pan controls work for those inputs. Then again, how do you switch between the summing mixer inputs and module inputs if you have 8 modules loaded in the frame? Perhaps that's what the white button below the volume and pan controls is for (it looks like it says "in", which would suggest that you press it to patch in the signal from the module loaded in the corresponding slot).
2nd December 2009
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

I can't believe I missed this. It's exactly what I need to take the 500 series plunge.
4th December 2009
Old 4th December 2009
Gear maniac

This does open the door for me to go 500. I have been waiting to get in but a 1000 bucks for a rack always slowed me down. This is considerably more that just a rack and all the other radial pieces I have are rock solid. I think they hit sometime in December.
pro
14th December 2009
Old 14th December 2009
pro
Gear addict

This makes a lot of sense for the Radial modules! But: If I understand this correctly you can only sum standard 500 modules via the XLR out into the D-Sub ?

If that is the case, then I do not see that much interest unless Radial can alter the 500 module standard across the industry (API)...

Factor in that most retailers will throw in a free 6 slot lunch box if you purchase a few modules...One could always purchase a summing unit separately and have the added flexibility of having two separate units. Factor in the additional space needed for the 5000 power supply and you end-up with the same amount of used rack space.

Am I missing something? Is radial really attempting to take the 500 series market with 24 modules coming to market... pretty ballsy!
14th December 2009
Old 14th December 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro View Post
Am I missing something?
well you can also look at it as a high quality summing box (I think high end non-passive summing boxes can't be found under the price of the Workhorse) with a free lunchbox thrown in. Additionally this "lunchbox" has connectivity in the back that surpasses that of other 500 series racks. Plus there's the link and feed switches, plus the omni ports that Radial is taking advantage of now, and other manufacturers can take advantage of in the future. Then there's the headphone outs. Regarding rack spaces and its power supply here's a quote from the designer of the unit Kevin Burgin:
"Its a medical grade switcher (rear mount preferable) so dosent take a real rack space on the front."
It's probably built like a tank knowing Radial, and it's certainly designed well. Looks good too. IMHO it seems like a very practical box and a hell of a good deal to me.
14th December 2009
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro View Post
Am I missing something?
Yes.

What Ralf said.
27th December 2009
Old 27th December 2009
Gear Head

A couple questions for Mr. Janis:

Have there been any tests made for compatibility between the Chandler GERM 500 and the Workhorse? I know the power supply is supposed to be pretty robust....which leads me to my next question: I've reviewed this thread fairly thoroughly, but a couple posts have me a bit confused regarding the power supply for the Workhorse. Is it actually included with the unit?

Thanks for taking the time to address our concerns on this exciting new product!

Workhorse = dfegadother racks
27th December 2009
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Been following this for a while.. Hope to have something to install in this sometime soon. or a few things.
8th January 2010
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Whens it gonna hit the market`?
9th January 2010
Old 9th January 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemeister View Post
Hi Guys;

Here's the latest on the Workhorse 5000 and the modules:

Workhorse
We did some final listening tests at a studio in Austin a few weeks ago to confirm our results and everything is working well. We are now stuffing the final version over the next week or so. Good news is that we found some of the old API modules will actually work with the Radial mix buss. Seems that the folks at API used the same spare pins as we did. Very cool!

PJ
Which "old API modules" work with the Radial mix bus? I assume you mean by this that no additional patching is required via the XLR and dsub connectors on the back of the unit.

Michael
10th January 2010
Old 10th January 2010
Gear maniac

This is awesome, can't wait for this...

Having the feed control on the front would have been nice, or even a 8x8 push or switch Patch system in place of the headphones - example:

Slot 4 is going into slot 8.

_1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8
1.[][][][][][][][]
2.[][][][][][][][]
3.[][][][][][][][]
4.[][][][][][][][x]
5.[][][][][][][][]
6.[][][][][][][][]
7.[][][][][][][][]
8.[][][][][][][][]

What would great about this is you could then you could go slot 4 into slot 8 and slot 8 into slot 1

_1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8
1.[][][][][][][][]
2.[][][][][][][][]
3.[][][][][][][][]
4.[][][][][][][][x]
5.[][][][][][][][]
6.[][][][][][][][]
7.[][][][][][][][]
8.[x][][][][][][][]

Nothing a patchbay couldn't solve though.
10th January 2010
Old 10th January 2010
Gear maniac

13th January 2010
Old 13th January 2010
Gear maniac

Alot of dealers have a deal where if you buy a certain amount of 500 modules you get a free 500 bay... Is it expected there will be similar deals for the workhorse??? Anyone know?
13th January 2010
Old 13th January 2010
Gear interested

I have an Ensemble/Dangerous D-Box/API LunchBox set up...would it make any sense for me to look into the workhorse?
13th January 2010
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

if a tree falls in the woods, does anyone hear it?
29th January 2010
Old 29th January 2010
Lives for gear

Shipping yet?
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Any news? Im looking for a 500 frame, and I want this one!
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Gear interested

Radial Vaporware Lameness

Last company I'd suspect of lame vapor tactics. I'm sure they're coming, someday. Nice line of products but they should have only shown them when they can really sell them. I think that should be true for any company but especially one with a good name and reputation like Radial. This episode has changed my opinion of them a bit. However I still like my Radial products and am sure I'll like their 500 stuff once I'm over this lameness.
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

whereas I like pre-announcements. Say I was in the market for a 500 series rack, I would like to know what is available and what is to come so I can make my decision on that vs. buying what is available and finding out a month later something which is better suited for my needs became available.
rsp
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Gear addict

I was holding out for one of these and then just broke down and got another API 500V. I may still nab one of these in the future but no real rush now with 5 slots available in my current set up.
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Gear nut

Wow, between the Radial, the unreleased Daking 500 stuff and Bricasti 2.0, 2010 so far has been an exercise in... waiting... patiently...
12th February 2010
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrisl View Post
Wow, between the Radial, the unreleased Daking 500 stuff and Bricasti 2.0, 2010 so far has been an exercise in... waiting... patiently...
when they advertise something, you can expect that it won't come out for another two years at least after they say it will be available!!!!!

its always this way!!!!!!! damnit
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Come on Radial! I'll buy this thing the day it comes out.
20th February 2010
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

Paging Radial!!!!!

You have real customers here that would like to buy your products. Hello???

We all know you get the emails saying there are replies to this thread, we get them too!!!

You're not doing much for your companies good reputation here IMO.
20th February 2010
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

maybe they disabled it in their user cp .
Seriously though folks do you think it is finished and they are not releasing it just to piss us off?
rsp
20th February 2010
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
maybe they disabled it in their user cp .
Well, that's not very smart now is it? A valuable direct line to your potential customers and you cut it? An opportunity to learn a lesson for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
Seriously though folks do you think it is finished and they are not releasing it just to piss us off?
rsp
No, but I think they'll earn our respect with good, open, communication.
20th February 2010
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

Could be one of those... "Crap it's not ready yet" type of things.. but no reply is not good.. Say something..Even if it's we are behind more then we thought.
20th February 2010
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
Could be one of those... "Crap it's not ready yet" type of things.. but no reply is not good.. Say something..Even if it's we are behind more then we thought.
Exactly!!!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search