Reason record vs pro tools
lemark
19th September 2009
Old 19th September 2009
Gear interested

Reason record vs pro tools

Any thoughts on reason record? Can it compete with the pro tools and the logics out there? Don't laugh...im a rookie.....just wondering what you guys thought.
19th September 2009
Old 19th September 2009
Gear Head

I also wanted to know, whats the difference between RECORD and REASON, i thought RECORD was Propellerhead's new DAW, but i read in MusicTech that "Record needs Reason to feel complete", what does that mean? Do the two programs interact with each other? And I know Reason is good for making beats and stuff like that, whats the main function of Record??? I've never used either program, and ima rookie too so be nice
RiF
19th September 2009
Old 19th September 2009
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemark View Post
Can it compete with the pro tools and the logics out there?
Record is positioned in a totally different type of market (maybe there's a little overlap), so they cannot compete and they don't need to.
lemark
19th September 2009
Old 19th September 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgone5150 View Post
I also wanted to know, whats the difference between RECORD and REASON, i thought RECORD was Propellerhead's new DAW, but i read in MusicTech that "Record needs Reason to feel complete", what does that mean? Do the two programs interact with each other? And I know Reason is good for making beats and stuff like that, whats the main function of Record??? I've never used either program, and ima rookie too so be nice

Well, it seems that record is a stand alone product, but if you have reason along with it...it would be just like having your entire song in one venue. It makes producing easier and a lot faster.

i just hate the compatibility issues wish pro tools ....u have to buy they're freakin stuff to be able to use the program. im all about software.. reasons takes lots of tweaking but...im willing to continue to tweaking away instead of buying pro tools products to run pro tools software.
19th September 2009
Old 19th September 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgone5150 View Post

You pretty much answered your own question, lol. The two do interact, and some would say you need Reason to make Record feel complete because Record doesn't accept VSTi's, so basically all you can do is record audio and use the EQ. Reason has the compressors, vocoders, samplers, delays, reverbs, etc.

You know you could have just gone to the reason webpage and gotten all this info
19th September 2009
Old 19th September 2009
Lives for gear

I have been looking at Record. It interests me. It is NOT meant to compete with Pro Tools. It is still a Rewire application.

What looks really interesting to me is the way it it is designed around a free form style of recording without being enslaved to a tempo track or click track. I definitely will download the demo, and seems pretty reasonable, plus I already own Reason, which is one of those products I really like, but don't use much.
20th September 2009
Old 20th September 2009
Lives for gear

i did beta test record, and am thinking of buying it...

great tool for composition, great ssl desk simulation, very nice time compression/expansion (maybe the best there is!), great for recording, but lacks quite a few of the tools the other top daws (pro tools, sonar, logic, cubase) have for mixing and, of course, it does lack vst support.. but it's a great program and i miss it a lot since the demo expired... i don't think it substitutes the other daws but it really is a very useful tool for anyone's musical arsenal... definitely awesome!
20th September 2009
Old 20th September 2009
Gear Head

Great replys guys, and yea i know i could've went on the website an all but the question was asked and i thought i just add something to it....it wasn't like it was bugging the hell out of me i just was curious...thanks for the expertise.
20th September 2009
Old 20th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PELicanWord View Post
Record doesn't accept VSTi's, so basically all you can do is record audio and use the EQ. Reason has the compressors, vocoders, samplers, delays, reverbs, etc.
Pretty sure the only thing Reason adds is the instruments. Record still comes with the effects plus the new SSL emulation mixer with in built EQ & Compressors.
20th September 2009
Old 20th September 2009
Lives for gear

If you want to know more about it, check it out...

RECORD

I have had REASON since it first came out but only started using it in 2005. Amazing... I did my first record without it, if I only knew.

Anyway, RECORD looks pretty interesting, but I`ll wait until they work out all the bugs so I`ll probably get it in 2010 with the next version. If the SSL emulations are at least half decent, that alone would warrant the $149 upgrade.

I use REASON with DP in REWIRE mood and it works amazingly well. My only gripe is the slight delay in REASON so I record all my MIDI tracks first and then the audio. If I need to re-record something in REASON, I have to quit DP and go into REASON alone just to get the accurate timing back. I`m a songwriter/producer so I don`t know all the tech terminology but the word is "latency", I believe.

Anyway, RECORD looks like a very cool writing tool. It will be mine.
24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

Bump>>>

Does anyone have it in a Power PC enviornment? I have Reason 4 and am a reason fanatic so imagine how sad I was when it says INTEL MAC!!!! I have a G5 quad with 11 gigs or RAM. Not sure if it will work though? I think it would be cool to jot down IDEAS.

Thanks,
24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiorsound View Post
Bump>>>

Does anyone have it in a Power PC enviornment? I have Reason 4 and am a reason fanatic so imagine how sad I was when it says INTEL MAC!!!! I have a G5 quad with 11 gigs or RAM. Not sure if it will work though? I think it would be cool to jot down IDEAS.

Thanks,
Im a Reason 4 fanatic as well. I use Audtion 3.0 alongside of it and its great.

Having an all-in-one workflow would be even better. Theres a high degree of "follow the idiot" in what we all do. Meaning, theres alot of people who use certain DAW's, etc, because some other guy is using it. With a bit of advertising, Propellerhead could make Record the DAW it should be.
And Propellerhead makes solid, reliable, low-CPU intensive software. Reason is so well coded, you can have multiple Reason sessions open, not that you'd want to other that to transfer some modules or tracks between songs/projects, but your CPU will hardly fidget ~ Its like a 10 ton program thats running that your CPU hardly knows is there. As far as software coding goes, ive been extremely impressed with Propellerhead and Reason.

So Records quality is certainly there. Reason has suffered a hit, of sorts, in its reputation early on, as it was known for making techno/electronica so well. Well, Reason 4 allows you to make seriously organic and natural sounding sounds. Theres so MANY sounds, its really youre own fault if the overall sound ends up cheesy, or too synthy.

I cant afford Record right now, and Im not a fan of the dongle. Right now, I work with Reason 4 and Audition 3 and its a great match for what I need. Be assured, that 'quality' is something you get with Propellerhead ~ gotta give the devil his due, there.
24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

Reason is great. But i think propellerhead should open his Reason Rack format to third party companies do racks for your Reason. Reason's "VSTs"

Best software to write beats and songs ever.

It would be really great.
24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
Gear Head

a bit off topic
but this is pure genius, and pretty darn evil:
off propellerhead's site:
"

[top]Demo Mode

If you have neither the Ignition Key nor is able to use Internet Authorization, you can launch the program and select "Run in Demo Mode". In Demo Mode, you can work without time restrictions - and even save your creations to disk. That's right. You can SAVE in Demo Mode. The only thing you can't do, is to open your saved files."
24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

man, i was looking at record, you guys got me even more interested in it.

sounds like a great compliment to reason, which i use almost exclusively. record would open up the ability to get real live instruments in there without so much pain in the ass it seems.

I didn't enjoy the changes to the edit window in reason 4 however. still using it here and there and still really don't like it all that much. 3 just works so much better for me.

I would love to see a hardware version of the scream distortion processor. i doubt it would happen, and im sure it'd be hard to do but id buy like 3 of them. but maybe in record i could get the same results out of record....
24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemark View Post
Any thoughts on reason record? Can it compete with the pro tools and the logics out there? Don't laugh...im a rookie.....just wondering what you guys thought.
Honestly Reason/Record is not designed to compete directly with Pro Tools and Logic. Its a great environment for composing but if you want to do extensive audio editing, pitch correction/tuning, plugins and using of external gear then you'll still need to get Pro Tools or Logic as well.

Pro Tools/Logic are more like Swiss Army knives, they try to do everything under one roof, but they do not necessarily excel in all areas. As such Reason/Record is great for general composition, as a sound module and as a scratch pad for ideas. Its also easier to learn.
24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
Gear Head

a bit off topic
but this is pure genius, and pretty darn evil:
off propellerhead's site:
"

[top]Demo Mode

If you have neither the Ignition Key nor is able to use Internet Authorization, you can launch the program and select "Run in Demo Mode". In Demo Mode, you can work without time restrictions - and even save your creations to disk. That's right. You can SAVE in Demo Mode. The only thing you can't do, is to open your saved files."
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Back to my question? Is anyone using it with a Mac PPC instead of Intel? I want it but not going to buy a new computer as mines more than suffices.

Cheers!
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiorsound
Is anyone using it with a Mac PPC instead of Intel?
record is intel only on mac. feel free to check out propellerhead's published system requirements.
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

PROS:
------------------
1.looks great
2.easy to get started out of the box.
3 SSL mixer
4.rebirth,reason 4 works within the program
5 works within protools with rewire
6 CPU light

CONS:
----------
1. too much crap on the screen.
2. if you don't 2 or more monitors, expect to get lost looking for things.
3. lots of "mousing about" to "reach things"
4. Doesn't have the editing ease that PTs offers.
5. no 3rd party plugin support

i like record a lot. but it seems to be utilized 4 use with multiple monitors, 3 for the perfect fit.
i like the way it sounds and i like the way its so simple i have over complicated it a few times. (oh! it just does it automatically!)

i have messed about with it for about 8 hours total. (the demo)
and i must say, if i hadnt been trained in PT with 6 years or so of daily use. id seriously consider making it my main daw.

however, it doesnt seem to be as in depth as PT.
they have said thier not trying to compete.

my main complaint is that there is too much crammed onto one screen.
and i get tired of "mousing about" to get to the gains on the mixer, then "mousing about" to get to the fader.
yes, i know there are options to eliminate the problem. but its not as intuitive as id like.....

hope that helps
27th December 2009
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Apologies if this is a "Skosh" off target for this thread, but I've been running with reason 2.5 for a few years now, and my girlfriend surprised me with an upgrade to 4.0, and so far all I can say is HOLY S*%T.. I had a LOT of fun working in 2.0, and 2.5, but 4.0 blows them out of the water. Those Swedes over at Propellerhead are some busy little beavers! Maybe it's just me, but I love creating in Reason. I can't believe the quality of sounds vs the CPU load. How do they do it?? I also agree with above poster that it's a VERY stable program. A lot of the sounds have matured significantly, and some of the drum patches are ready to go. Thor is a huge upgrade, but so far my vote for MVP is the Combinator. That thing streamlines the work flow. The new pattern automation in arrange mode is helpful too. Then to top it all of with the M class Mastering suite, and Reason is competitive. If I hadn't been invested in Sonar already, I'd have been keen to try Record to see if it could fulfill my acoustic and vocal recording requirements..
I'm really impressed with Reason 4.0. I was impressed with 2.0, and 2.5 but this new version is sick. I can't wait to get deeper into it.
Happy holidays to all you Reason junkies out there.
6th February 2011
Old 6th February 2011
Gear interested

Different... and the same...

Some of my thoughts about Reason/Record and ProTools:

So, I have used Reason for years (love it), Protools for years (it's a love/hate thing but it's the studio-standard & I can do anything in it), and I recently bought record (I've been VERY impressed).

- REASON seems to be the pre-emminent way of combining virtual instruments; it's really good for a project-studio when you are a one-man-band

- Yes, REASON is fabulous for arranging and getting things down quickly, then piping to PT but... working back-and-forth quickly becomes messy & time-consuming

- With the addition of RECORD, my workflow is much easier -- it's more intuitive, wastes less of my time, and I get more polished results quicker. PLUS....
- The REASON and RECORD main buses sound SO MUCH BETTER to my ears -- I have to tweak, add plugs, maximizers, analog emulators, etc to get my PT rig to sound the way it sounds OOB in RECORD. That said, I like the sound of the SSL emulation; some may not.

- I DO LIKE the idea of 'combinators' or 'bundles' of plug-ins that you end up using over and over. This idea doesn't work for me as easily in PT
- Routing in R/R is easy and intuitive; hit the TAB-key, drag some wires and it's done. I usually route PT with physical patch-bays.

- (Prior to PT9) I could run R/R on my standalone MAC much more easily. Not so, with PT [I haven't played with PT9 enough, yet, but that problem appears to be solved, now].

- Very creative (but not computer-savvy) friends of mine gave up on PT; they ARE using R/R, though (instead of analog, or Garage Band) which makes my life easier.

Sometimes I think PT is kind of like a surgeons knife; R/R is more like a great Chef's knife -- you end up using it on most everything you cook, b/c it's sharp, easy to work with, and you get results fast. Sometimes, though, you'll want a specialy knife...

OTOH...
- When I submit stems for mastering, a project to a client, or someone in the industry they usually want PT-format; it's the standard. When I am discussing or trouble-shooting a song or workflow; everyone knows what I'm talking about in PT terms,

- R/R IS limited in how you can edit audio -- no per-sample pencil tool, here. The limitations in how you 'comp' different 'takes' is sometimes annoying

- I love my PT plug-ins. It's like a mechanics tool chest. But, I've gotten used to 'throwing a plug-in' at a problem in PT whereas this won't work well in R/R. Maybe I've just become complacent; adapted to limitations in PT. I often find that I have to spend time constructing a 'combinator' that I would already 'have on hand' in PT (maybe this'll change, with time).

- I've got a lot of time, training, & $ invested in PT, so R/R is really kind of a 'disruptive technology'; the way digital initially compared with Analog

- A tweaked 'professional' mix/master with PT sounds better than a final mix in R/R (maybe that's not a fair comparison, though).

my final $.02?
All in all, I use both, but R/R gives me more 'joy'.
6th February 2011
Old 6th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper1400 View Post
PROS:
------------------
1.looks great
2.easy to get started out of the box.
3 SSL mixer
4.rebirth,reason 4 works within the program
5 works within protools with rewire
6 CPU light

CONS:
----------
1. too much crap on the screen.
2. if you don't 2 or more monitors, expect to get lost looking for things.
3. lots of "mousing about" to "reach things"
4. Doesn't have the editing ease that PTs offers.
5. no 3rd party plugin support

i like record a lot. but it seems to be utilized 4 use with multiple monitors, 3 for the perfect fit.
i like the way it sounds and i like the way its so simple i have over complicated it a few times. (oh! it just does it automatically!)

i have messed about with it for about 8 hours total. (the demo)
and i must say, if i hadnt been trained in PT with 6 years or so of daily use. id seriously consider making it my main daw.

however, it doesnt seem to be as in depth as PT.
they have said thier not trying to compete.

my main complaint is that there is too much crammed onto one screen.
and i get tired of "mousing about" to get to the gains on the mixer, then "mousing about" to get to the fader.
yes, i know there are options to eliminate the problem. but its not as intuitive as id like.....

hope that helps
Lots of good points here!

I use reason and record to do all of my writing and rough mixes, and by rough I mean 85-90% complete.

I use PT9 to do any editing, and to do the final mix.

Record is IMO horrid with editing. It sounds great and the SSL style mixer is an absolute blast to use, but the program definitely cannot reach the level of quality that you would be able to achieve using some of the amazing VSTs that are currently available.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds great, but its that last 10% that can really make a difference.

I would definitely recommend reason and record for writing and getting your ideas in good order, its very simple and fun to use.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search