The Perfect Laptop for making music!!
Old 1st September 2009
Gear interested

The Perfect Laptop for making music!!

Hey guys!!

Basically I'm looking for a nice laptop to start recording my own tracks with. So really what I want is some advice and recommendations for a laptop that can handle some good quality music production.

What specs would you recommend for the computer?
What makes and companies have you found to be easy to work with regarding recording music?

I don't want to spend anything more then £1000. So anything below that is ok.
I don't mind if you recommend a widows or apple laptop as long as you tell me why its good and what moved you to buy it!

Haven't really decided what programs I'm going to run yet but, if I got a windows laptop the DAW I'd use would be Cubase and for apple it would be logic.

For effects, I like the look of guitar rig and for a drum program I would go with easy/superior drummer

I'm a guitarist so keep that in mind when you give your recommendations.

The music I would aim to be making would be more of a rock style.

Alot of people could use this thread as a reference in the future so please don't hold back from commenting

Really look forward to your comments guys!!

P.S. If you really feel you need to, you can recommend a good desktop computer that you've had a good experience with.
Old 1st September 2009
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

Old 1st September 2009
Gear interested

Ok. Alot of people have been recommending the macbook. So why is it so good? One thing I really want to know, is the OSX system stable? I know anything is better then vista atm, but is the macbook a realiable peace of kit to have?
Old 1st September 2009
Gear addict

I won't comment on what computer to buy, but make sure you have a good view on your expenses (maybe you already have that budgeted, I can't tell):
-computer/laptop
-recording interface (with DI/Hi-Z input)
-DAW software
-Guitar Rig or the like
-monitor speakers
-a few cables
-a mic if you want to record your guitar amp

I'm not even talking about acoustic treatment. But the above would be a minimum to start with to do something decent. You might save on Guitar Rig or get a small version since most DAWs have semi decent amp simulators included. Subjective thing.
Old 1st September 2009
Gear nut

if i was you danny i would go for a macbook pro i been recently going back and forth on the same issue and have decided to finally go mac after using pc basically my whole life!!!! Macbook is good but you would have to get an older model if you planned on running firewire bc the newer models are usb based and if your going to buy an older model at a cheaper price you better off getting a used macbook pro and upgrading the ram. The reason i say mac is better bc pc are more likely to crash and always seem to have unsteardy operating systems. If you purchase a mac right now you would be able to get the new os snow lepoard that lets you utilize your memory capabilites much better there for crashing much less but if i would recommend anything mac or pc i would make sure its dual core for more processing speed and atleast 2 gigs of ram and 250 gig hd but preferably 4 gigs of ram for better performance.
Old 1st September 2009
Gear interested

OK. In response to leon EA is as follows.

My budget is about £2000. I would like a laptop because of the option of portability. Programs I would use would be cubase 4 or 5 if I had a windows computer or logic 8 or 9 if I had an apple (i said this in original post).

I would also use guitar rig 3 and amplitude metal (maybe). For a drum program I would use easy drummer or superior drummer 2.0. There may be other plug-ins that I might use.

As for speakers I would be using a set either from genelec or makie.

If I decided to go for an apple, the sound card I would use would be an apogee duet. As for windows soundcards there not much out there that is in your face good.

In response to Justin Oxely, the specs on the apple online U.K store tell me that on the new macbook has a 400 firewire port. So I don't know why you tell me to go for a older macbook for firewire.

The specs I would have anyway would be 4gb ram and 320gb hard dirve.

ADK computers have been recommended but there U.S. I live in the U.K.

Hope all of this extra info helps you guys with your recommnedations.

Keep 'em coming!!
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear nut

all current macbooks and macbook pros have firewire
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear interested

The Macbook pro is a very solid choice, and should give you years of trouble free use. That being said, if you don't mind spending a little maintenance time on your computer, PC is a good way to go because of the price. You can get a comparable machine at literally half the the cost, but you have to deal with installing antispyware and such. I have an HP and a Toshiba sattelite, and have had almost no issues with reliability on either one.

[top]Jakeintox

Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

A plus with Apple is that they work well with Apogee interfaces. With laptop stuff, overall quality will probably come from a single interface. If there is a Firewire port and the ergonomics good enough, it should work well as an audio computer.

If you want a bigger screen for less money, you may want to look into PCs (HP, Dell) and RMEs/M Audio 610s. No matter the platform, try before buying.
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear interested

Hey thanks alot for all your replys

I'm really thinking of going for a apple laptop now, so the only question I have left is, should I go for the Macbook basic model and then upgrade ram to 4gb and harddrive to 329gb or go for the Macbookpro standard 4gb model?

So tell me, which do you think I should go for? Which, do you recon would be the more reliable laptop?

Look forward to your answers. Don't hold back from commenting!!

I still welcome any windows laptop arguments and why I should go for one of them. I know someone recomended an ADK laptop and they do look really good, but I'm a uk resident so I don't think I can get my hands on one of those computers. Shame, alot of people have talked highly of them.

Does anyone know if ADK ship to the UK?
Old 2nd September 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySavage11 View Post

I'm really thinking of going for a apple laptop now, so the only question I have left is, should I go for the Macbook basic model and then upgrade ram to 4gb and harddrive to 329gb or go for the Macbookpro standard 4gb model?

So tell me, which do you think I should go for? Which, do you recon would be the more reliable laptop?

I still welcome any windows laptop arguments and why I should go for one of them. I know someone recomended an ADK laptop and they do look really good, but I'm a uk resident so I don't think I can get my hands on one of those computers. Shame, alot of people have talked highly of them.

I work fine with a 2gb 2.4ghz macbook (bought sept 2008) you could upgrade the RAM if you want if you are running a lot of tracks and plugs.

Once you go mac you won't go back,
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

A great laptop for the price is the Dell Vostro. It's a dual core laptop you can find on ebay, and some of them have windows xp. Lots of ram too.

Plus, some have 4 pin firewire, and others have a pci express slot so you can put in a firewire bus card and stream audio from a firewire drive that way.

Look on ebay for 'delll vostro laptop xp'.
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear maniac

Mac Book Pros have bigger screens and different connectivity than the standard Mac Book, particularly FW 800 instead of FW 400.

Apple - Mac - Which MacBook are you? - Comparison Chart

Macs are well made computers, and the Mac OS is more stable than Windows OS. Mac Books and Mac Book Pros are substantially more expensive than laptop PCs with similar power and features. Some laptop PCs come with PCMIA Card bus slots that allow for more connectivity than a Mac, particularly with audio interfaces.

Mac comes with "boot camp" which allows you install Windows OS on your Mac, so you can run either, and any Windows program.

You really need to look at what software and audio interface you wish to use, and then decide on a computer to run it. Mac gives you the option to run both Windows and Mac, but it comes at a price. You should also consider if your software of choice will allow you to record to the system drive, or if you will need an external hard drive for audio. (usually a good idea in any case)

~deadears
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Hello Danny,
By the way, Apple's RAM is overpriced, you can get it same specs a lot cheaper and upgrade easily if the initial conf. is too slow.
Have fun producing.

PS:can't see a valid reason to go PC except the lower price (on the other hand Logic is really good value so...).
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear interested

Thanks sahiaman! Nice to have a recommendation that will balance out the decsion making process. I will check out the laptop as I can hold a firewire port.

I suppose one of the things that make me lean to the mac more is the apogee duet. That sound card has alot of good reviews and alot of people recommend it.

I just haven't found a firewire soundcard or at least a usb soundcard for awindows computer that has the same good reviews like the apogee.
Old 2nd September 2009
Jai guru deva om

I have had good results with Dell laptops, even using firewire cards in the PCMCIA slot...no issue.

The most important thing is to make sure it has enough RAM or is upgradeable to enough RAM, and then make sure you shut down other programs so they aren't trying to run while you record. There are XP tweaks that can be done to keep things running smooth and glitch free.

Should not be an issue.

XP has been 100% solid for me, but then again I've always been a PC guy.

War
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadears View Post
Mac Book Pros have bigger screens and different connectivity than the standard Mac Book, particularly FW 800 instead of FW 400.

You really need to look at what software and audio interface you wish to use, and then decide on a computer to run it. Mac gives you the option to run both Windows and Mac, but it comes at a price. You should also consider if your software of choice will allow you to record to the system drive, or if you will need an external hard drive for audio. (usually a good idea in any case)

~deadears
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/images/smilies/thumb.gif
One audio interface + external HD + USB dongles + one MIDI controller... UAD express card?... lots of ports
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

the macbook pro is well worth the small amount of additional money. Do not buy that white model, they have problems with the plastic case.

I just got the MBP 13" with the processor upgrade. it was about US $1500

well worth the money
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks sahiaman! Nice to have a recommendation that will balance out the decsion making process. I will check out the laptop as I can hold a firewire port.

I suppose one of the things that make me lean to the mac more is the apogee duet. That sound card has alot of good reviews and alot of people recommend it.

I just haven't found a firewire soundcard or at least a usb soundcard for awindows computer that has the same good reviews like the apogee.
Save money getting a PC, and put the rest of the money into a used Apogee Mini Me(read up on the different options it had). Those are great sounding units, the preamps are absolutely killer.
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiaman View Post
Save money getting a PC, and put the rest of the money into a used Apogee Mini Me(read up on the different options it had). Those are great sounding units, the preamps are absolutely killer.
The MiniMe doesn't support PC anymore. I think the current drivers work on XP, but certainly not on Vista.
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon EA View Post
The MiniMe doesn't support PC anymore. I think the current drivers work on XP, but certainly not on Vista.
Yup, that's why I suggested the Dell Vostro with XP.
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years View Post
Do not buy that white model, they have problems with the plastic case.
not a big deal really
if you take apple care anyway, they'll replace anything during 3 years
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

I just got a standard Sony Vaio (4G RAM, well under 1000 £), and had Vista downgraded to XP. No problems recording 8 tracks simultaneously at 88.2 / 24. It doesn't have a FW port, though, if that's your sound card's connection.
Old 4th September 2009
Gear addict

or you can go my route and have the best of both worlds! I have a dell xps 1530 core 2 duo 2.4ghz with 4gb ram. Im actually running a dual boot system with Windows 7 and osx! The mac side really is stable, Im running logic on that side and cubase on the pc side. There is no reason to pay over 50% more for a macbook.... sorry!
Old 4th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonviolin View Post
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=Nzk2MDczNA
/THREAD

don't buy the while plastic model, the plastic will break just by breathing too close to it
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search