What 500 series pre to get, stereo pair
CosmeLiccardo
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Gear nut

What 500 series pre to get, stereo pair

Hi guys, I want to take the plunge into 500 series modules, but I want to get two of a specific model, just to have a stereo pair to use with stereo synths, overheads, or any other stereo miking application. I have the Great River MP500NV in mind, as well as the A Designs P-1, what would you preffer? or would you suggest any others?
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Gear addict

nice pair o' Juggs...

i recently bought the Juggernaut 500 Series - it is awesome...you should look into the nu pair that they have just put out...it is like having 50 pre's in one!
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I've tried/owned a few different preamps, and you really can't go wrong with Great River, API/Brent Averill, A-Designs, Chandler Germanium, or Shadow Hills.

But, if I was stereo micing acoustic sources I'd probably choose the Great Rivers.
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Oh man theres so many good 500 series pres to have as a pair these days. I guess it all depends on what youre looking to record mostly.

I just got a 'box myself, i've been trying to hold off because i already have a rack full of nice pres, but i could resist no longer.

I'm definitely planning on a pair of 512c's for mine, but then, im thinking about using those for kick, snare and sometimes vocals.

The Shadow Hills GAMA would be sweet to have a pair of for the things you're looking to do, especially if you outfit them with all of the transformer options. I would absolutely look into them, maybe demo or have a listen to them somehow. They sound fantastic. thumbsup

I doubt you could go wrong with a pair of Great Rivers either.

500 Series Database | LunchBoxHero | 500 Series Database

Here's a database of pretty much everything available for 500 series.

Happy hunting!
CosmeLiccardo
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear nut

Thanks man! I'm gonna go crazy with all these little criters! There are just so many options! The great rivers are a great option because they're great and not so expensive, besides I plan on getting an api 3124+ also so API fever is cured with that one. My original plan was to buy the rack and fill it with a Juggernaut, 2 great rivers, 1 La Chappelle and 1 OSA L3, but I'll have to keep looking, maybe I'll change my mind. By the way, do you know where I can hear demos of these pres?
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear maniac

Which mics are you using and what style of music do you mostly record with?
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Guru

Everyone who is into 500 needs 2 512c if not 3..
I guess the reason I have not got a Great River is the unit takes up 2 spaces, I have not been willing to give up my extra space because I can always use it for something else juicy.
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I guess the reason I have not got a Great River is the unit takes up 2 spaces, I have not been willing to give up my extra space because I can always use it for something else juicy.
Trust me dude, it's well worth the extra space!! We've got 3 different A-designs, API and GR in our API rack, as well as tried out a purple biz, and the GR definitely has it's place!
CosmeLiccardo
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Which mics are you using and what style of music do you mostly record with?
Mostly pop and rock, I sometimes get some folk and hip hop, but only ocasionally. I use the SM7 a lot, MD41s, D112, RE27s, e609s, e604, SM57s and I'm planning on getting a pair of Royer 121s and a great LDC to replace my AT4050 which I fell out of love with (any suggestions on a mic with crispy high end and full bottom for vocals under 2500$? I was thinking maybe a Geffel UMT70S, Brauner Phantera or a Pelluso 2247LE)

Quote:
I'm already getting a 3124+ that basically uses the same 2025 preamp as the 512, the 500 series would be like a buffet of different flavors.
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Head

I'm also about to join the 500 series game. I'll start off with a pair of pres for a while before I can afford anymore. These will be my first high end pres, so they will be used for pretty much everything. I do a range of stuff, usually from hard rock to pop rock. I've heard a lot of good things about the P-1. Is there any reason that these shouldn't be my first pair?
CosmeLiccardo
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear nut

BTW I'm also thinking of buying a 1176 type compressor, I didn't want to get into the UA 1176 LN because of all the badmouthing it has drawn in GS, but now that I'm getting into this whole 500series issue: isn't there another FET compressor I can use for the 500 rack? What do you think of the Buzz Audio Potion or the Purple Audio FET, or even the little devil?
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmeLiccardo View Post
BTW I'm also thinking of buying a 1176 type compressor, I didn't want to get into the UA 1176 LN because of all the badmouthing it has drawn in GS, but now that I'm getting into this whole 500series issue: isn't there another FET compressor I can use for the 500 rack? What do you think of the Buzz Audio Potion or the Purple Audio FET, or even the little devil?
Pete's Place BAC 500 compressor. FABULOUS! Buzz comps are excellent also. The others I've tried...ehh. Never tried the API, or Chandler comps.
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
Pete's Place BAC 500 compressor. FABULOUS! Buzz comps are excellent also. The others I've tried...ehh. Never tried the API, or Chandler comps.
+1 on the BAC 500. Love that thing.

Plus, for all of those who are in love with the P-1, I encourage you to also try the EM-Silver. Both are really great 500 series preamps.
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

I would say a toss up between the Juggernaut and some API 512C's. I use those the most. Followed by Shadow Hills GAMA.
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009

If I could only get one 500 series preamp, it would without a doubt be the Avedis MA5...
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
If I could only get one 500 series preamp, it would without a doubt be the Avedis MA5...
I recommend MA5, too. Also a lot of love for P-1 here.
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanrobr View Post
I've heard a lot of good things about the P-1. Is there any reason that these shouldn't be my first pair?
Nothing wrong with going for the P-1s, I have owned a few in the past as well as some MA5s, both are great preamps, however I have higher priority's for my LB so they had to go.
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Jai guru deva om

The Great River NV series has a wide range of tone available. The gain staging is unique, the ability to drive it is WILD compared to most any preamps if you like a driven sound.

The A-Designs "EM BLUE" is a favorite for a present but forgiving sort of sound, it just sounds good on everything and is capable of more clean-ish sounds by comparison to the Great River.

Both of those units are transformer in and out, the A-Designs again being capable of more clean and sparkle and the Great River capable of more creative use of distortion.

If you're looking for more detail or cleaner sounds the transformerless choices would be where I would take a look also.

War
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Head

I have a pair of Great Rivers and a pair of api 512c's. Love them both but they are differnt. GR is smooth and hi-fi. api's have awesome mid-range and can really get good bite when paired with the right compressor. Buy a 6-space lunchbox and get the pair you need the most then add the other pair. You'll thank me later (or not, but it's still a good call).
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Hi guys, I want to take the plunge into 500 series modules, but I want to get two of a specific model, just to have a stereo pair to use with stereo synths, overheads, or any other stereo miking application. I have the Great River MP500NV in mind, as well as the A Designs P-1, what would you preffer? or would you suggest any others?
i love both of these pres, very much, i don't feel either would be a bad move.
the P-1's are more mid forward and get a lot of love from me.
the Great River probably sees as much use.

Quote:
take a read.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...-new-post.html
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdick View Post
i recently bought the Juggernaut 500 Series - it is awesome...you should look into the nu pair that they have just put out...it is like having 50 pre's in one!
I want this pre so bad it hurts. I'll be getting it hopefully in a few months.
CosmeLiccardo
25th August 2009
Old 25th August 2009
Gear nut

Hi guys, thanks so much for the input, I think I'm going with these for sure: 2 great rivers, 1 la chapelle, three spaces left for other pres I'm going to have to demo (contenders are the P1, the juggernaut, the OSA and the rest of the A Designs pres) and 1 space for the BAC, although I'd like to demo it as well. Thanks again!
25th August 2009
Old 25th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys, thanks so much for the input, I think I'm going with these for sure: 2 great rivers, 1 la chapelle, three spaces left for other pres I'm going to have to demo (contenders are the P1, the juggernaut, the OSA and the rest of the A Designs pres) and 1 space for the BAC, although I'd like to demo it as well. Thanks again!
If you get 2 great rivers and a LaChapell, you won't have 3 spaces left, you'll have 0. Those all take up two rack spaces. No worries though, just get a bigger one thumbsup
25th August 2009
Old 25th August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
If you get 2 great rivers and a LaChapell, you won't have 3 spaces left, you'll have 0.
25th August 2009
Old 25th August 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Hi guys, thanks so much for the input, I think I'm going with these for sure: 2 great rivers, 1 la chapelle, three spaces left for other pres Thanks again!
some great gear and i say go for it!
you can NOT go wrong with the Great River or the LaChapell, two favorites of mine for sure, the P-1 and a 512 ( more favorites ), would round out the mid forward and upper mid push very nicely.

i say look at a rack, and start saving your money.
as mentioned, that will leave you 0 spaces in a lunchbox, in a rack you could have four or five depending on the rack.
25th August 2009
Old 25th August 2009
Gear Guru

yup with those pres your house gets full quick, may need to upgrade to a 10 space rack.
25th August 2009
Old 25th August 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
+1 on the BAC 500. Love that thing.

Plus, for all of those who are in love with the P-1, I encourage you to also try the EM-Silver. Both are really great 500 series preamps.
Yeah the silver is freaking amazing! Definitely a different flavor than the Cream, but the silver has won a special place in my heart!
25th August 2009
Old 25th August 2009
Banned

My suggestion would be what I'd love to own someday; a pair of LaChappel 583E's! I would assume there is some 992 heritage in there, helping out for OH duty and, the EQ could be used on the front-end (helping the pre) or for later in post... I've been reading up on the unit and it sounds pretty attractive.

My second thought would be a pair of the new ForsellTech module ... SPM500 I think???

Quote:
25th August 2009
Old 25th August 2009
Gear nut

I have an A-Designs Red and Blue unit in my lunchbox, and recently added a DIY Fivefish Studios SC-1mk500 pre.

The A-Designs Red and Blue units are both transformer in/out, where the FiveFish is transformer in only.

The Red is very mid-forward with a super tight low end, with a tame top end. It sounds awesome on stuff like guitars and toms and even snare. It also does well on acoustic guitar.

The Blue has a high-end glassiness that I like when paired with a darker mic like an SM7 or a 57. Paired with a LDC, it sounds great, but sometimes has a higher-end harshness.

Both the A-D pres have around 65dB of gain. They are SUPER QUIET.

The FiveFish pre has seen limited use so far, but it sounds awesome on the stuff I've tried it on - electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and vocals. It has a similar mid-forward character (due to the input tranny) as the A-D Red, but it has a nicer high-end gloss. The lows aren't as tight - maybe a little sloppy - but for the sources I've tried it on, it represents an incredible value. It lacks some of the build quality of the A-D pres (I built the darn thing after all, crappy solders and all), but once it's in the lunchbox who cares?

The A-Ds go for around $700 while the FiveFish retails for $299 without the tranny/$360 with. While I love my A-Ds, I will probably buy another SC-1mk500 just to have a nice stereo pair.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search