Old 17th August 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Low pass vocals?

Just wondering does much people low pass or at least cut high freqs much out of vocals
I actually noticed today I tend to cut alot and its not just on one particular mic its on most.
Just personal taste i guess
Old 17th August 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
larry b's Avatar
 

I dont.

I high-pass vox. Sometimes very conservatively at around 80-100Hz, other times more aggressively (especially when im doing electronic/dance music) at 180Hz or higher.

I dont think ive ever shelved or rolled top end off of a vocal in my life either.

de-essing, yes, but that more in the range of 5-8kHz.
Old 17th August 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 

You can use a fair amount of filtering.
If it's a male vocal you could easily go up to 80 hz.
If it's a female vocal, you could go up to 120-150hz.

Of course it's still should sound musical.
Old 17th August 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I high pass up to around 80-100
but lately im taking nice notches off the high end 16-20k region
Old 17th August 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
Are you doing this with vocals tracked through a variety of mics, or generally one?

Is there a lot of high frequency content in some of the other tracks in the mix?

Usually I don't lowpass vocals unless it is for an effect.
Old 17th August 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Protools Guy's Avatar
 

High Pass around 80
No Low Pass (I de-ess though which takes care of some of the harshness)
Old 17th August 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
By low pass im using it very slighly but maybe im just digging the soundin im getting it might wear off haha
Ok sleep time
Old 17th August 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
FireMoon's Avatar
There was a thread a while back about vocals on which any number of heads were drooling over the vocals of some guy, gushing about how natural they were and how he was just a *great vocalist*. I chucked them into Wavelab and checked the frequency levels. There was nothing and i mean virtually nothing at all, under 200 hz, apart from one short section where he dropped his voice for a more * intimate* section...

I'd guess that someone had used a high pass filter at around 18o-220, depending on how much his voice kicked out around there... and then quite possibly, stuck another high pass filter on it to just make sure...
Old 17th August 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
 

Usually I'm putting highs into the vocals, either by mic choice or through an eq. Occasionally, I will pull some highs out if the voice seems to poke out too much from the rest of the music.

Perhaps you should try tracking with ribbon mics for vocals? It might be better suited for your style.
Old 17th August 2009
  #10
Gear interested
 

Filtered vocals

Like almost everyone here I do High Pass my vocals. At least up to around 100hz. With female vocals a little higher.

But I do Low Pass some vocals too on almost every thing I mix, at least in hip hop/urban, where you usually have stacks of vocals on verses. On the 'adlibs' or stacks I will filter out everything below 250 - 300 hz and everything above 6 or 7k. This helps them sit in with the lead vocals.

Something else I noticed while mixing. I would often get a nice natural' sounding vocal and then in one part of the song want to get that 'telephone' filtered effect. I would always be surprised that after doing that the natural sounding vocal just sounded boring. It made me start filtering the lows out of my vocals more and being a little more extreme in my approach.

Hope this helps.
Old 17th August 2009
  #11
Gear nut
 

I low cut around 80-100 for male vocals depending on the track. At least to 80hz on all tracks. Higher for backing vocals.
Old 17th August 2009
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
There was a thread a while back about vocals on which any number of heads were drooling over the vocals of some guy, gushing about how natural they were and how he was just a *great vocalist*. I chucked them into Wavelab and checked the frequency levels. There was nothing and i mean virtually nothing at all, under 200 hz, apart from one short section where he dropped his voice for a more * intimate* section...

I'd guess that someone had used a high pass filter at around 18o-220, depending on how much his voice kicked out around there... and then quite possibly, stuck another high pass filter on it to just make sure...
Yeah I will cut that high sometimes depending on the mic, pre and vocalist. I have recently found a pre that pretty much allows me to not have to EQ anything (additive or subtractive) as it sounds just like whoever is in front of the mic but in the past I have found that cuts that high are needed with lots of chains. It seems high but when someone is close to the mic it often results in a lot of material at the lower range of the human voice that sounds very unnatural. At first it sounds like you are losing a lot when you cut it away but if you get your head out of the way you are used to hearing recorded vocals and listen to someone speaking or singing in the room next to you you will hear how unnatural that much low end actually sounds.
Old 17th August 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 
rty5150's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
You can use a fair amount of filtering.
If it's a male vocal you could easily go up to 80 hz.
If it's a female vocal, you could go up to 120-150hz.

Of course it's still should sound musical.
awesome as always, tony!
Old 17th August 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 View Post
awesome as always, tony!
Thanks!
Last year I did a vocal reverb breakdown. Click here for the link.
Old 17th August 2009
  #15
Lives for gear
 
rty5150's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
Thanks!
Last year I did a vocal reverb breakdown. Click here for the link.
BTW, tony, you have any links/samples of Rebekah's stuff that you recorded? i found some stuff on youtube with her, but mainly live stuff and stuff with other acts. was looking for something specificly yours. also, ray's vox are incredible as well. how did you end up meeting up with these guys?
Old 17th August 2009
  #16
Gear interested
 

As long as there isn't excessive rumbling due to the singer dancing frenetically in front of the microphone (or due to other reasons...) I don't cut the vocals. Rather than cutting I would use a shelve because I feel that harsh lowcuts on vocals tend to flatten the sound. But this rather is the case with single lead-vocals, if there are many vocal-tracks or a huge background choir I'll probably have a lowcut too.

But I normally never cut the highs off anything...

Greetings,

T.
Old 18th August 2009
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
Just wondering does much people low pass or at least cut high freqs much out of vocals
I actually noticed today I tend to cut alot and its not just on one particular mic its on most.
Just personal taste i guess
Yeah you're not the only one..quite a lot of people do that
Old 18th August 2009
  #18
Lives for gear
 
RKrizman's Avatar
 

If the vocal's too bright I'll eq accordingly.

-R
Old 18th August 2009
  #19
Gear Head
 

Funny how the thread-starter asked about if there are some people who tend to low-pass their vocals and over a half of the answerers here talk about where they like to high-pass their vocals.
Old 18th August 2009
  #20
Lives for gear
 
DaveC's Avatar
 

I like to cut off high frequencies in vocals.
16KHz and above doesn't add anything special, unless you like Mariah Carey,
her voice starts from 1KHz and up nowadays, used to be something else...
When it comes to low frequencies, I usually listen to the lowest sung note, and fiddle with a highpass filter until the tone falls apart, from there I ease back until the tone of the lowest note is nice and full again, you found the frequency to cut.

Just 1 out of a billion tricks.
Old 19th August 2009
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 View Post
BTW, tony, you have any links/samples of Rebekah's stuff that you recorded? i found some stuff on youtube with her, but mainly live stuff and stuff with other acts. was looking for something specificly yours. also, ray's vox are incredible as well. how did you end up meeting up with these guys?
Rebekkah just came over the studio last week and we will be working on some material in the next month or so.
Old 19th August 2009
  #22
Gear addict
 
soulfield's Avatar
 

+1 For HP @ 80-120 on vox

Although I'd say every singer, performance and mix requires different touches of eq. HP above is just a starting point but certainly not a rule of thumb.

as for LP, I do occasionally but this applies to many diffrent sources, not just vox

Old 19th August 2009
  #23
Gear maniac
 
obliterations's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
I high pass up to around 80-100
but lately im taking nice notches off the high end 16-20k region
Ok, so High Pass 80- 100 is good, but what kind of slope do you guys use on Male/Female vocals?
Old 19th August 2009
  #24
Gear nut
 
rayne's Avatar
 

I've been working on a bunch of dense mixes/remixes and after the ridiculous amounts of compression i have to put on the vocals, i continue to low pass the vox at 12.5k-15k. That section of the vocals tends to get in the way of certain synths, snare, hat, etc.
Old 19th August 2009
  #25
Lives for gear
 
rty5150's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by obliterations View Post
Ok, so High Pass 80- 100 is good, but what kind of slope do you guys use on Male/Female vocals?
i am pretty aggressive, but it all depends on the voice and the mix. see what you can get away with, all without clouding/cluttering up the low end.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
kcmoonshine / So much gear, so little time!
19
PCB / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
6
Mike24 / So much gear, so little time!
1
Mike24 / So much gear, so little time!
4
Audio_Vault / So much gear, so little time!
3

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.