Moving to Orlando, FL: Advice sluts?
Old 10th August 2009
Gear addict

Moving to Orlando, FL: Advice sluts?

Hey guys,

I am going to be relocating to Orlando, FL in the near future. I have a job offer that is too good to pass up. I have never been to Orlando, and would love some tips on where would be a good place to rent a safe, one bed room apartment.

Safety is my primary concern. If you could give me any information for downtown apartments, or the surrounding areas, that would be great.

I think I am going to fly down there and check it out myself, but any help I can get would be great.

I have to get out of NJ. haha. Florida, here I come!
Old 10th August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
I'm moving to Kissimmee / Orlando myself at the end of this month.
When we get settled, we should hook up. I will let you know if I get any good information. Please let me know if you find out anything. Thanks bro.
Old 10th August 2009
Gear maniac

Welcome guys!

I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

If you are looking for safe and urban I would stick near the downtown Winter Park, College Park area or Thorton Park, Thorton Park is more hipster but you are gonna pay. College Park is young couple/family and a short hop to downtown on I-4. Winter Park is more old, rich Florida. Around Full Sail and UCF you are going to find a high concentration of college kids. You also might want to check out the Maitland and Oviedo areas. They are quiet and more family oriented.

I would avoid Metro West, the Internatonal Drive area, west of I-4/Orange Blossum Trail area, and Pine Hills like the plague.
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by willerichey View Post
I would avoid Metro West, the Internatonal Drive area, west of I-4/Orange Blossum Trail area, and Pine Hills like the plague.
I agree with that, to the locals Pine Hills is known as "crime hills"

The area of winter park toward UCF is really nice, and there are some really nice areas near rollins college.
Old 10th August 2009
been living in winter park for the last two years. feel pretty safe here.
Old 10th August 2009
Gear addict

awesome, thanks for the information so far. This is really good to know.
Old 10th August 2009
Gear maniac

+100

I lived on Americana and OBT. What an interesting year that was.
Old 10th August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Absolutely we'll get together, There are other slutz around Orlando as well.. we'll have to have a boys night out... Orlando.. if you believe the rumors.. is supposed to be hard rock central these days
Hell yeah!!! I will send you a PM. Rock on. .
Old 10th August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Absolutely we'll get together, There are other slutz around Orlando as well.. we'll have to have a boys night out... Orlando.. if you believe the rumors.. is supposed to be hard rock central these days
I am in O town as well, and we should definitely do a GS night. There are tons of rock bands here, and even a few really good ones. Just last week a few of the bigger unsigned rock bands had separate shows at different venues on consecutive nights that were huge. What's huge? The pic is Ambertone at the Hard Rock Live. Not too shabby (1750 officially) for a "local" unsigned band as the headliner. People down here like their rock for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Orlando, FL: Advice sluts?-ambertone-hrl-july-31-2009.jpg  
Old 10th August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey_outlaw View Post
I am in O town as well, and we should definitely do a GS night. There are tons of rock bands here, and even a few really good ones. Just last week a few of the bigger unsigned rock bands had separate shows at different venues on consecutive nights that were huge. What's huge? The pic is Ambertone at the Hard Rock Live. Not too shabby (1750 officially) for a "local" unsigned band as the headliner. People down here like their rock for sure.
Sick! I am getting pumped to move down there. We will definitely do a GS night! haha.
Old 10th August 2009
Gear addict

Oviedo is nice as well as Altamonte Springs, very close to I4 so you get around quickly. Unfortunately Orlando has gotten so congested in the last 10 years it unbelievable. BTW, there is a great music dealer there Magic Audio, Jim is the owner super nice guy and has all of the boutique brands!
Old 10th August 2009
Gear nut

I totally agree. Orlando slutz unite!

Where's the new job geographically? If you're downtown, a 1BR studio in Baldwin Park would be awesome. There are some deals to be had downtown in the College Park area as well. If you don't mind a bit more of a commute, there are some really nice places in the Altamonte / Maitland area.

If you're on the south side of town (near the attractions) - check out Hunter's Creek / Celebration.

The east side (UCF) of town is nice as well - but the majority of the music scene is downtown.

Thanks!
David
Old 10th August 2009
Gear Head

If your gonna be working downtown try to move as close to your workplace as you can afford. Traffic in Orlando and surrounding areas really sucks and you'll be thanking yourself later on. I had some friends that used to live around montana and mills, reasonable lease rates and a nice neighborhood that was really close to downtown.

Winter Park is nice, but a considerable drive to downtown Orlando.
Old 10th August 2009
i hated orlando.. i gigged at some studios and did alot of live sound down there..but its hard to get paid what your worth cuz there is 1000 more people that will do it for less..and there is ALOT of shadiness...but good luck man..
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

"..but its hard to get paid what your worth cuz there is 1000 more people that will do it for less.."

Florida's like that all over, isn't it? I moved down to Palm Beach twelve years ago. As a licensed Master Electrician from CT, I struggled to find pay down there equal to what a first year apprentice was making back home. I ended up staying less than a year. It must be just as bad now, with the economy the way it is.
Old 10th August 2009
Gear addict

Okay, so if I had my daughter go to a private school in Azalea Park, where would the nicest place be to live, somewhat near there?

I will be working near Sky Lake. Man, I hate feeling so clueless. Avalon Park looks awesome, but might be a bit far to commute with traffic and all.

Thanks so far for all of the great advice. Keep it coming. Thanks!
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

Never say "I'm a friend of Lou Pearlman's"
Old 11th August 2009
Gear interested

I actually live in Winter Park (Orlando is literally a half a mile down the road) I have a bunch of buddies that live in the heart of Orlando...

where will you be working and I can give you better info!

word of advice to start: you don't want to be anywhere near North Orange Blossom Trail!!! ...I saw 4 hookers, 2 fights, and 30 cop cars in the same night! fun to visit though

edit: Avalon Park is really really nice. A bit pleasantville for me though!
Old 11th August 2009
Gear interested

Quote:

The area of winter park toward UCF is really nice, and there are some really nice areas near rollins college.
the places around that area can't be cheap though! every time I go down there I expect to see someone famous... but sadly, I never do
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

The traffic blows and a lot of people can't drive for sh!t.

Winter Park is cool, but like previously mentioned, a drive from there to Orlando can be a pain. Depending on the day, a 6 mile drive in Winter Park itself could last 20 + minutes.
Old 11th August 2009
Gear nut

Old 11th August 2009
Gear addict

Old 11th August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriatarka View Post
I actually live in Winter Park (Orlando is literally a half a mile down the road) I have a bunch of buddies that live in the heart of Orlando...

where will you be working and I can give you better info!

word of advice to start: you don't want to be anywhere near North Orange Blossom Trail!!! ...I saw 4 hookers, 2 fights, and 30 cop cars in the same night! fun to visit though

edit: Avalon Park is really really nice. A bit pleasantville for me though!
Dude, the two things I love the most: hookers and fighting. haha. I will be working off of Lake Ellsenor Drive near Sky Lake. I think it is basically south of Winter Park about 12 miles or so. My daughter is starting Kindergarten at a Christian School in Azalea.

So, if you know of any cool apartment complexes in Winter Park, that would be great. Is it a pretty safe area overall. The slutz have told me about all the bad parts. ha.

Thanks bro!
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Whatever you do...... NOT...... I repeat.. DO NOT......

forget to visit the SLUTTIEST PLACE ON EARTH LOCATED IN LONGWOOD FLORIDA, CALL AND ARRANGE A TOUR!!!!

Welcome to Audio Playground Synthesizer Museum.

This is only about 10% of this magical place, it's right off of I-4 in longwood, peep the website and make time to get a tour if they still have them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11th August 2009
Gear addict

Man, that place is awesome. I'm trying to remember where I read about that place? Must of been TapeOP or one of those mags.

I will definitely check it out.
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

When picking a place to live in Orlando, you want to pick based on school zoning. Trust me on this one. The zone you want to live in is 1 so check out ocps.net and figure out where zone 1 is (the quadrant I'll give u is the southern edge). There are other good schools in orlando, but you'll want to live there for a bit before figuring out what might be right for your daughter. You are thinking private school and that is wise--elementary schools in Orlando are a bit dodgy. You have to get the right teacher even at the 'good' schools and coming in new you'd be at the mercy of the random number generator.

Try looking in this quadrant: Bumby on the west, chelsea on the south, lake baldwin on the east, glennridge on the north. 2/2's run 800 - 1200 or so. I just saw a 3/2 on a "lake" for $1.3kish actually--a lot of lakefront viewage there is more pondlike and this one is no exception. Not sure how that rent smells to you, but its a nice place. Let me know if you need a hookup.

The thing about baldwin, is its nice, and to the west it's pretty nice. Along bennett is a little rough, but one block in is audubon park and thats a pretty nice neighborhood (I think anyway).

Winter Park would be north. If you go north of glennridge, it's still nice but now you might be a little far away from where you want to go.

Your drive time is going to hurt a little bit, but your daughter's school is a little far away from where you work--nothing you can do about that.

Crime is everywhere in Orlando. To the east of baldwin park is semoran, which is pretty run down. The closer you get to semoran, the more run down / desparate it becomes. STAY AWAY from Semoran / Orange Blossom Trail (OBT). They are fine during the day but at night those nearby neighborhoods change. Also, west of I4 -- Paramour and Pine Hills -- are pretty desparate these days.

Things to consider: I4/408 is a traffic nightmare. You will want to avoid I4 at all costs. 408, a toll road, is ok going east in the morning and west in the eve. Vice-versa, get ready to shoot yourself. Toll roads 528/417 are fairly empty most of the time. Expect about $5-$10 a day in tolls if you take that route, depending on where you live.

I know folks are talking a lot about crime, but Orlando is a really pleasant place to live. There is a lot to do even outside of Orlando.

I personally have found the Orlando crowd to be large, but dead behind the eyes. My worst concert going experiences have been in Orlando, both major and indie. Some venues do bring it though, so its not all bad. The music scene is pretty varied and nice, and the bands are good. The guy next to you, you might want to punch in the face, but hey...thems the bricks!

Anyway, don't worry too much. Post some intersections here and we'll let you know if there is anything to worry about.
Old 11th August 2009
Gear nut

Crufty's right on a lot of fronts...there are very nice places all over Orlando - but you need to be cognizant of the trouble areas.

One thing about traffic - I-4 does suck - but not too bad heading West (South) from downtown in the AM. The worst of the traffic on I-4 is westbound from Lake Mary to Maitland and eastbound from Conroy to 408. So - to summerize, don't live south of 408 and try to come UP to Azalea Park...Start to the north, and go south. The PM commute still might suck a bit.

I-4 is still a decent way to get around. It takes me about 30 minutes from Lake Mary to Downtown in the AM - and 20 minutes on the weekend or off peak hours. If there's an accident on I-4 - it get's nasty. No doubt about that.

I think given the proximity of your daughter's school, Baldwin / College Park / Thorton Park would be a good bet.

-d
Old 11th August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
When picking a place to live in Orlando, you want to pick based on school zoning. Trust me on this one. The zone you want to live in is 1 so check out ocps.net and figure out where zone 1 is (the quadrant I'll give u is the southern edge). There are other good schools in orlando, but you'll want to live there for a bit before figuring out what might be right for your daughter. You are thinking private school and that is wise--elementary schools in Orlando are a bit dodgy. You have to get the right teacher even at the 'good' schools and coming in new you'd be at the mercy of the random number generator.

Try looking in this quadrant: Bumby on the west, chelsea on the south, lake baldwin on the east, glennridge on the north. 2/2's run 800 - 1200 or so. I just saw a 3/2 on a "lake" for $1.3kish actually--a lot of lakefront viewage there is more pondlike and this one is no exception. Not sure how that rent smells to you, but its a nice place. Let me know if you need a hookup.

The thing about baldwin, is its nice, and to the west it's pretty nice. Along bennett is a little rough, but one block in is audubon park and thats a pretty nice neighborhood (I think anyway).

Winter Park would be north. If you go north of glennridge, it's still nice but now you might be a little far away from where you want to go.

Your drive time is going to hurt a little bit, but your daughter's school is a little far away from where you work--nothing you can do about that.

Crime is everywhere in Orlando. To the east of baldwin park is semoran, which is pretty run down. The closer you get to semoran, the more run down / desparate it becomes. STAY AWAY from Semoran / Orange Blossom Trail (OBT). They are fine during the day but at night those nearby neighborhoods change. Also, west of I4 -- Paramour and Pine Hills -- are pretty desparate these days.

Things to consider: I4/408 is a traffic nightmare. You will want to avoid I4 at all costs. 408, a toll road, is ok going east in the morning and west in the eve. Vice-versa, get ready to shoot yourself. Toll roads 528/417 are fairly empty most of the time. Expect about $5-$10 a day in tolls if you take that route, depending on where you live.

I know folks are talking a lot about crime, but Orlando is a really pleasant place to live. There is a lot to do even outside of Orlando.

I personally have found the Orlando crowd to be large, but dead behind the eyes. My worst concert going experiences have been in Orlando, both major and indie. Some venues do bring it though, so its not all bad. The music scene is pretty varied and nice, and the bands are good. The guy next to you, you might want to punch in the face, but hey...thems the bricks!

Anyway, don't worry too much. Post some intersections here and we'll let you know if there is anything to worry about.

Wow bro! thanks for all of the great information. I will put it in the memory banks. You slutz are too cool. Looks we can have one hell of an Orlando Slutz party. haha. We will all have to hook up sometime in the future. I will check out your tips and be in touch.
Old 11th August 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

you got disney world that's all anyone needs
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search