New Reply
Subscribe
hazza
26th July 2009
Old 26th July 2009
Gear Head

Mackie Onyx 400F problem

Hi all,

I bought my Onyx 400F a year and a half ago and had a few problems with clicks and pops - some clash with the version of OS X I was running, I think. So I stopped using it. I've now come back to it, hoping that the new Leopard install would like it better.

Unfortunately it's now broken. It won't power up properly and doesn't appear as a device on the mac (although the phantom power light works when I switch it on and off so the power supply can't be completely gone). Obviously it's now past its warranty and the dude I spoke to at the Mackie repair place in London says he can't fix or replace a power supply - warrantied units are replaced, I'm told.

What can I do? Is it possible to get a replacement power supply (if that is definitely the problem?!) even if it means fitting it myself. I'd be happy to sell it and buy something else, but I fear it's worthless in its current state...?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
hazza
27th July 2009
Old 27th July 2009
Gear Head

anyone got an idea of what's best to do? could really use your help!

cheers guys
27th July 2009
Old 27th July 2009
Lives for gear

So if you take the firewire out from the mac and only use the power lead into the 400F, power up, what exactly happens?
27th July 2009
Old 27th July 2009
Geariophile

I had one of those dastardly things.....it gave me plenty jipp all along. On the plus side however, Mackie UK were very helpful. Although I had bought it off Musicians Advocate on ebay US they took my unit and swapped it for a new one, no problem!! So I'd say contact them and see what they can do for you. I took the new one and sold it without even unpacking it.....lol a friend of mine still has one.....it clicks and pops away.......keeps having to change the master reference from Onyx to computer and back.....nightmare......
hazza
27th July 2009
Old 27th July 2009
Gear Head

Thanks for replies so far guys-

@Lee: I've only tried it with the firewire attached. I will try again later without and report back!

@Karloff: was yours still under warentee though?
hazza
27th July 2009
Old 27th July 2009
Gear Head

same story with the firewire unplugged. phantom power will come on when pressed, but no other lights do anything. the level metre peaks on channel 4 and sometimes 3 when it is switched off....

sound like a power supply issue??
27th July 2009
Old 27th July 2009
Geariophile

Probably was less than a year into owning it, but no one from Mackie UK ever asked me when I'd bought it or if I had a warranty cert. Just give them a call and see what they can do to help geezer

Although my friend is on his second one too, and honestly I get the impression that some people are happy with theirs (happy combo of Mackie and computer= lucky), and some are not. Seems if your computer (=firewire card...etc) and the Mackie don't like each other you'll just suffer a load of random click and pop shite. Even if you'd get a new one it might not act any different with your computer. That's why I sold the new one and got an RME fireface Problem over.
hazza
27th July 2009
Old 27th July 2009
Gear Head

cool man i'll give the old sneaky a go and see how i get on.

does anyone know if self repair is in any way possible? if mackie won't replace it, it would be good to be able to sell the unit on.
GRO
30th November 2009
Old 30th November 2009
GRO
Gear addict

got rid of mine. best thing i coud of done clicks and pops. when i turned it off i had to reboot the computer to get my pc to recognize it. the profire.... no problems at all
30th November 2009
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have one and have a similar issue with the start-up. Once it is up and running it goes fine all day, however I just spent 20 minutes flicking the power switch on and off before it finally came to life. By that I mean it has power to it each time this switch is on, in as far as the phantom power switch works and as a stand alone the preamps would work but the clock won't kick into action. No clock or firewire lights come on and the computer doesn't see it. But after repeatedly turning it on and off eventually it all works fine. I have this stupid ritual every day for the last few months. Sometimes it fires up properly on the second or third go and other times it can take 50 or 60 goes (like this morning). A total pain...I even replaced the firewire board but that didn't fix it. Anyone got any ideas as to what the most likely cause is?
24th September 2010
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to Tibbon
Damnit. Mine started doing the same thing as you're describing today. I bought this device to get away from crappy power supplies and planned obsolesce (Digidesign).

I just moved my studio's location and now this thing seems dead. Phantom light works, nothing else lights, except channel 4 blinking once when i turn it on. Sounds like a power supply issue. Since its likely outside warranty, I'm thinking of opening it up and making sure nothing came loose.

Thoughts/help? Anyone had this recently?

If it doesn't work, what other **reasonably priced** 8 channel interface should I get for sub $500-ish these days. I only really need 1-2 mic preamp channels, and the rest can be line inputs really.
24th September 2010
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

Unracked it, kicked it,and it worked again.
24th September 2010
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

See if it works next time you fire it up. Mine turned out to be the firewire board. Mackie no longer supplies replacement boards for them so I hope that's not the problem with yours.
24th September 2010
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I spoke to at the Mackie repair place in London says he can't fix or replace a power supply -
I would imagine this statement is rooted in corporate rules & politics..not that it can't be fixed with a soldering iron in reality. If it is truly a power issue & the unit's out of warranty, find a different electronics repair shop & ask them what they think.

todd
25th September 2010
Old 25th September 2010
Lives for gear

Wow, this all sounds really shitty on Mackie's part.

On the flip side, i called Kurzweil today because I lost the battery cover on my K2500R. A tech called me back really quickly, said he had the part and would ship it to me. Awesome service for a 14+ year old synth. And it seemed that if anything else went wrong with it, he's be able to fix it- no problem. Made me feel all that much more confident about buying their gear.

Sounds like Kurzweil's are made to last a lifetime and they provide service accordingly (and potentially lifetime is a very long time if Ray is right...)

Mackie, less so.
25th September 2010
Old 25th September 2010
Lives for gear

Mackie lost me forever as a potential returning customer over their "quick to discontinue parts for products after they stop selling them new" policy, and their enormous markup on parts if you can get them. For example the firewire board in the 400f was made by Echo........who USED TO sell them at $60 each as replacement parts. Mackie however was selling the same part for over $300 before they dicontinued supplying them as replacement parts to 400f.
2nd October 2010
Old 2nd October 2010
Gear interested

I have been using a Mackie Onyx 400F for about 5 years. I too was having some trouble with the unit not powering up and not being recognized by a Mac computer. I found that the instability was related to the temperature of the unit. When I had the unit where the Room AC was dooling it, the 400F became very unstable and would shut off after a few minutes. I then moved the unit where it stayed warm and was not cooled by the Room AC. Now it stays on and poweres up much better. I called Mackie and talked to a tech regarding rhis issue and he said this was very unusual and could understand why COLD AIR would affect the unit insstead of it being too warm. I have been running this unit without a problem for the last 4 days. It sounds great and works well now. I never had any click and pop problemsw. I use Logic * on OS 10.5.8 booting from an external firewire HD. I have a new Imac with 10.6.4 but Logic 8 does have issues on the newer OS.
Frank
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear interested

Sounds like a temperature issue. Mine just started behaving as described above. I also am using it for the first time at colder temperatures. It had been sitting in a room at approximately 50ºF for 2 days without being powered.

I'll report it's status after warming it up.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Head

Mine also did that stuff, but all it took to make it work again was a new FW cable...
Just my 2 cents...
22nd November 2012
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear interested

ONYX 400F Power Issues

While this thing has caused some pain, I definitely don't have the funds to buy something new. I've been completely happy with the 400F WHEN IT WORKS! Anyway, I took it apart and inspected the fireworks module and the power supply. They looked pretty good and I couldn't visibly see any problems. I gave it a clean-up and it didn't change a thing... when the system is cool or warm, good luck getting it to power on, no matter how many times you flick the power on and off. Like some of you, when the device is hot, your chances of getting it to boot properly are much better. SO... i took a hair dryer to to exhaust perforations above the power supply and heated the 400F up... it took about 10 flicks of the power switch to get it to boot. If you're looking for a remedy, this is the best I've got. Next steps are to get it inspected by my electrical engineers at work. One thing i noticed as i sat there drying it with the hair dryer (skins off and PCB exposed) was that there are lots of places where Mackie has used hot melt glue to fix the caps and other electrical components in place... the glue turns pretty clear when I get this thing hot... since most electrical components aren't supposed to be affected by heat, I'm wondering if Mackie just used some shitty glue... which changes properties as it gets hot... and flows. I'll let you know what my electrical guys find out... for now.. .the hair dryer is saving me from having to make a new purchase... it friggen sux that I have to resort to this... but oh well... it is my only option at this point... Hope this helps...
B
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search