hearing better, with 'damaged' hearing
New Reply
Subscribe
u b k
25th August 2005
Old 25th August 2005
Pragmatic Snob

hearing better, with 'damaged' hearing

on the one hand, over the last ten years i have lost a little bit of hearing, especially in one ear over 14k, and in both ears 2-6k. not much, just a little.

on the other hand, i hear music, freqs, production, conversation, and everything else better than i ever have. i can distinguish small level adjustments at low listening levels, and can smooth out the >10k range of cymbals or voice in a way i simply couldn't one year ago. i notice deep motor hums, rattles, buzzes, and similar ambient noises that others don't.

so while the physiological faculty is diminished, the sensory ability is vastly improved. my brain has not only adjusted, it is kicking ass.

anyone else in the same boat? is anyone here actually *not* in this boat?

gregoire
del ubik
25th August 2005
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

What you say is true. A good musical hearing has not sooo much to do with organic things.
I mean most of the top producers and engineers are way over 50 and it's completely natural to loose quite a lot of high frequencies in that age. Of course some don't, but the majority does.
25th August 2005
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

its strange. i made a hearing test with my girlfriend. my hearing was much better on the scale. but she can hear crazy things i never hear. she can hear people conversation in a restaurant 5-7 meters away, tv program in my neighbors flat. but when i show her 2 vocal-takes sche could not find the diference. maybe my ear is calibrated to totaly diferent things.
25th August 2005
Old 25th August 2005
Gear maniac

Hey Ubik, the line "my brain has not only adjusted, it is kicking ass." made me laugh so hard I had coffee coming out of my nose.

Thanks!

Have a great day!
25th August 2005
Old 25th August 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequency
Hey Ubik, the line "my brain has not only adjusted, it is kicking ass." made me laugh so hard I had coffee coming out of my nose.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

IMO the sort of hearing you need producing and evaluating music and the way it´s been recorded is more of a learning thing than an organic one. But still I´ve been shying away from a listening test for a couple of weeks now, because maybe I don´t like the result.

I still can hear our beeping tv, when it is muted (no plasma display until now ). That makes me think that my hearing can´t be that bad, although it could very well be that other frequencies suck big time. In the end it´s all about adjusting to your personal kind of hearing damage, isn´t it ?

Bill
25th August 2005
Old 25th August 2005
Gear nut

'Everyone' tells us that hearing deteriorates with age......
I don't mind people knowing that I'm 67 years old (yes, I've been in the music business for nearly 50 years!!) and I don't notice any difficulty in evaluating the finer points of mic pres, microphones, compressors and monitors.
I believe you are quite right about there being much more to 'hearing' than those parameters that the audiologist thinks he can measure.
The day someone calls me out for being deaf I shall think again, but so far, I'm quite happy!
(pardon?)
25th August 2005
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think critical listening is a learned dicipline. As far as your age affecting your hearing, I think you adjust naturally.

Just stay away from those loud low frequencies - those are the ear drum stretchers that kill your high frequency response!
25th August 2005
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

I had an ear problem a couple years back which eventually cleared up 100%.
The funny thing was although my ears were extremely plugged and ringing from this problem (my ears were filled with fluid from severe allergies) I aced the hearing test anyway!
The doctor said I was hearing fine when it was obvious I wasn't hearing good at all.
I figured this was because I've been trained to distinguish subtle differences in sound my whole life.
It was interesting.
They might even need a different test for musicians and engineers.
25th August 2005
Old 25th August 2005
Gear Guru

your listening may have improved over the years, your hearing has almost certainly deteriorated.

listening better may make up in some ways for hearing worse, but imagine if you had both: the sheltered girlfriend's razor sharp acuity and the veteran engineer's facility for critical analysis

moral of the story- take care of your ears. While hearing loss due to blockage may improve when the blockage is removed, almost all other forms of hearing loss are one-way only.
25th August 2005
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

Winey what was your allergy that caused the blockage? I ask as I ahve had this problem for nearly 2 years and the quacks cannot make up there mind what the problem is.It does nto effect my hearing too much but on some days the pressure in my head can be very painfull and I will love to get it cleared up.
26th August 2005
Old 26th August 2005
Lives for gear

They gave me Flonase and Claritin for the allergies.
Then they also put me on sudafed for about a month to help dry out the fluid.
It was either that or have tubes put in my ears to drain them.
It cleared up just like they said. Thank god.
It actually took a couple months for the clogged feeling to completely go away.
26th August 2005
Old 26th August 2005
Lives for gear

Although I've been standing next to a pair of half-stacks for most of my adult life, I think the cymbals have done the most damage. But what really got me was the job I had after high school washing dishes; the banging of plates on plates would leave my hearing feeling muddy for hours after I would leave work.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd like to know it. I feel like I hear better than I ever have, although I do have tinnitus.
26th August 2005
Old 26th August 2005
Motown legend

It's very well established that people having hearing damage will hear things very differently because they have holes in their response that can no longer can mask certain sounds.

This is one of the traps of working in audio. There will always be things that each of us will completely miss that others will hear clearly. This isn't a matter of absolute hearing acuity but rather one of an amazingly wide range of individual hearing differences.

We are all mixing and mastering for a great big moving target.
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
26th August 2005
Old 26th August 2005
Lives for gear

HUH??? Did somebody say something??? Speak up, I can't hear you!
GPl
26th August 2005
Old 26th August 2005
GPl
Lives for gear

Haha...so true. What do you get when you put 1,000 AE's together to mix 1 song? 1,000 different mixes........

"Two degrees in bebop, a PHD in swing, he's the master of rhythm, he's a rock and roll king" -Lowell George-

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates"
26th August 2005
Old 26th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

I wonder what long term (and short term) effect hard drives are having on us all. No matter where I am or what I'm doing, there's that high pitched whine.

War

26th August 2005
Old 26th August 2005
Gear addict

I notice that most of the mixers i admire played in rock n roll bands for a long time and it's hard to do that without having some degree of hearing damage.
26th August 2005
Old 26th August 2005
Gear Head

I have only about 20% or less of normal hearing in my right ear. It's depressing, but then I say two words to cheer me up: Brian Wilson.
4th February 2007
Old 4th February 2007
Gear nut

I'm with ya, Sean, only mine is in the left ear. Still, I'm working, and plenty of other guys aren't, so keeping the ears trained seems to go a long way.

And here here, to Brian. Also, let's not forget Beethoven.

"Getting the job is luck. Keeping it is skill."

-Zen

"It don't mean a thing to me unless I see it on TV
So just launch that satellite and get it right"
-- ChromaKey
jdg
4th February 2007
Old 4th February 2007
jdg
Lives for gear

old thread.. but it applies to me now

last year i went thru 3 rounds of chemo which left my hearing (among other things) damaged.

my freq responds went from ruler flat all the way to 18k (highest the tests went)
to a slow 16dB curve starting at 8k dipping -60dB SPL at 18k

i was severely depressed, etc etc.
now its only been two months since my last treatment and my mind has more then made up for any loss. i dont hear things as dull anymore. my mixes and masters have been coming back perfect (just like nothing ever happened)
my confidence is back.

the brain is one magical mofo.
i've been training it to regrow my lost cells in the mean time so it wont have to work so hard to compensate

panicStudios - mastering in seattle
5th February 2007
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to blaugruen7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
the brain is one magical mofo.
:-)
thank you for that and congratulations!
5th February 2007
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

The reason that is because much of engineers do is recognizing and sculpting timbre. Its not about doing perfect on a hearing test.

Know this though. Its a benefit to be able to hear as a normal person does. How would you like to paint if you saw red diferent than the average person?

But skill can make up for much of that, but it is a disadvantage. Lets not pretend it isnt..and no I dont have perfect hearing anymore.
5th February 2007
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
on the one hand, over the last ten years i have lost a little bit of hearing, especially in one ear over 14k, and in both ears 2-6k. not much, just a little.

on the other hand, i hear music, freqs, production, conversation, and everything else better than i ever have. i can distinguish small level adjustments at low listening levels, and can smooth out the >10k range of cymbals or voice in a way i simply couldn't one year ago. i notice deep motor hums, rattles, buzzes, and similar ambient noises that others don't.

so while the physiological faculty is diminished, the sensory ability is vastly improved. my brain has not only adjusted, it is kicking ass.

anyone else in the same boat? is anyone here actually *not* in this boat?

gregoire
del ubik

Exactly. I call it hearing comprehension. We just know what to look for, as it were.

Jasper
5th February 2007
Old 5th February 2007

ha what a cool thread.
I notice that, if there's music playing (in the background), my brain "zooms in" unvoluntarally, and I start to miss part of what someone (my girlfriend) is saying. very dangerous! It's very difficult to explain to ppl. too. LOL

for sale a complete SERGE SYNTHESIZER (Creature, EQ-Shift, BOG)

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

5th February 2007
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
ha what a cool thread.
I notice that, if there's music playing (in the background), my brain "zooms in" unvoluntarally, and I start to miss part of what someone (my girlfriend) is saying. very dangerous! It's very difficult to explain to ppl. too. LOL
funny!

not to derail the topic but as i've said in hearing loss threds - after a long day you can heal your hearing (to some extent) overnight with this same phenom. just turn down some classical music to the lowest possible level you can, and the ears will retune their range to the tiny dynamics while you sleep. calming the flapping drum

"great big moving target" ... nice one bob

"listening is a discipline, hearing is natural" ... right on as well
Mastering Engineer - The Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Ray LaMontagne, Chet Faker, Mary Lambert, The Soft White Sixites, Bombino, Hanni El Khatib, The Shins, Dr. John, The Growlers, The Sheepdogs, David Lynch, Beck, Sigur Ros, Newsted and 1000s of others.

Spiral Groove - Studio One - a truly useful nearfield mixing speaker
5th February 2007
Old 5th February 2007
Gear addict

This is a cool website, care of my audiologist.
Just bought some ER15 earplugs last month. If you don't already have some, get some! They're great.

Adam
5th February 2007
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

There is a study that has determind that compressed audio fatigues womans ears faster or /more than mens!! Radio research.
5th February 2007
Old 5th February 2007
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to vandertone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kerr View Post
There is a study that has determind that compressed audio fatigues womans ears faster or /more than mens!! Radio research.
If this is true I have a bunch of compressors for sale.
Now I know what Bruce`The Viking`Swedien meant with `Compression is for Kids`
This man is only after the ladies...
5th February 2007
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandertone View Post
If this is true I have a bunch of compressors for sale.
Now I know what Bruce`The Viking`Swedien meant with `Compression is for Kids`
This man is only after the ladies...

Yep!, Lite FM BABY!!! .....allright I'll stop. ....You ever stay up all night listining to the Dead and kind of go through a .....change if you will? Well maybe not a change but just one of those things? Man! I'm re-configing my home rig and I, ahh Coffee and the tunes! Back on track (ALL NIGHT!) Lite music = woman. Heavy stuff "MEN!" and I was thinking the best of both worlds. The Grateful Dead are phenominal. Anyway. My girl is a hairband freak and can not stand smelly people that bug on music. So who the heck knows. I love space jams, whoa! My apoligies if I took this a little to far. Yes I am listining to incredible incredible mixes of the AUD and SBD type!

stike

This is what I am and was listining to while posting. Check this out.
http://www.archive.org/download/gd95...1.wav_64kb.mp3

This one is real fun!
http://www.archive.org/download/gd95...d3t01_64kb.mp3
5th February 2007
Old 5th February 2007
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to vandertone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kerr View Post
Yep!, Lite FM BABY!!! .....allright I'll stop. ....You ever stay up all night listining to the Dead and kind of go through a .....change if you will? Well maybe not a change but just one of those things? Man! I'm re-configing my home rig and I, ahh Coffee and the tunes! Back on track (ALL NIGHT!) Lite music = woman. Heavy stuff "MEN!" and I was thinking the best of both worlds. The Grateful Dead are phenominal. Anyway. My girl is a hairband freak and can not stand smelly people that bug on music. So who the heck knows. I love space jams, whoa! My apoligies if I took this a little to far. Yes I am listining to incredible incredible mixes of the AUD and SBD type!

stike

This is what I am and was listining to while posting. Check this out.

http://www.archive.org/download/gd95...1.wav_64kb.mp3

send me some of what you had/took before/while posting
track is great btw, I especially love the second bridge
cheers,
mirko
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search