Is there any tube gain makeup amplifier out there ??
Old 10th July 2009
Banned

Is there any tube gain makeup amplifier out there ??

Hi

I am looking for stereo tube gain makeup amplifier up to max 6 or 8 db .
It should be high end ,clean but able to provide little tube warmth and to have precise steeped 1 stereo volume knob with steps of 0.5 or even better 0.25 db .
Is there such a thing ?
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

You may want to look at getting a hi-fi stereo preamp. Expect to pay audiophile prices however.

Brad
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

The Manley ELOP Compressor could be custom configured to give you up to 10dB of stepped gain (not sure what exact step size's are available, certainly 1dB at the most, talk to Manley for more info) and you would also get a nice compressor out of it.
Old 10th July 2009
Banned

yes maybe elop or drawmer 1968 but i dont really need compressor only make up gain . Maybe i could find somebody who can build it .
Any other options ?
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

What kind of signal are you trying to amplify?
Microphone, line or consumer electronics?
Old 10th July 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass man View Post
Hi

I am looking for stereo tube gain makeup amplifier up to max 6 or 8 db .
It should be high end ,clean but able to provide little tube warmth and to have precise steeped 1 stereo volume knob with steps of 0.5 or even better 0.25 db .
Is there such a thing ?
Maybe something like a pair of TAB/Telefunken/Siemens V74's?, They have a minimal makeup gain 6-9db I believe. Of course they would need to racked, powered and made with your preferred volume knob. Dave Marquette made a few, check his site.
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes maybe elop or drawmer 1968 but i dont really need compressor only make up gain . Maybe i could find somebody who can build it .
Any other options ?
Building it would probably be: Fun, a great learning experience, good quality & cheap!

Go for it!
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

For what you said you wanted to use it for,
This is all you really need. I've been using it everyday for master buss levelling, and pushing it hard for a little grit on other single instrument tracking.
$300.00 retail.......all day long.. read up on it.

It's a no brainer friend.

Steely
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

Someone here emailed me this link once; CDSoundMaster.com
I haven't tried it yet, but I'd love to buy one.
"The Source + Plus TM has been custom designed to fill a specialized niche in Mastering Facilities and Recording Studios alike, where the absolute highest standard of sound reproduction is desired. The Source + Plus TM is designed to improve the sound quality of your analog signal path, increasing the overall perception of volume, clarity, dimensional stereo imaging and sound stage."
Old 10th July 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
What kind of signal are you trying to amplify?
Microphone, line or consumer electronics?
Ill try to explain as short as possible .

I mix ITB peaking at - 6 to -1 dbfs on the master buss in my DAW .Then i am printing my mixes to my studer A 80 and this is the first stage where i need to push the signal from the apogee rosetta to hit the tape harder or not that hard - depends on the material .
The second stage is going back from Studer to the DAW ( apogee again).
I usually have the room ( haedroom ) to push the signal for extra 1 - 3 db from the studer before cliping or with some invisible clips .
So basically i need really sweet sounding almost invisible but still with some nice character gain makeup unit which is able to give me extra 1 to 6 or 7db of gain .
I am really looking for something unique , invisible but with some nice subtle hi end silk color - if you know what i mean .
Old 10th July 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
For what you said you wanted to use it for,
This is all you really need. I've been using it everyday for master buss levelling, and pushing it hard for a little grit on other single instrument tracking.
$300.00 retail.......all day long.. read up on it.

It's a no brainer friend.

Steely
We already have manley ,1176, etc... but i need some make up gain without compression . I do mostly jazz and acoustic music and very rare use the comp for the master buss . My studer A 80 is my master buss Compressor .
Old 11th July 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
Someone here emailed me this link once; CDSoundMaster.com
I haven't tried it yet, but I'd love to buy one.
"The Source + Plus TM has been custom designed to fill a specialized niche in Mastering Facilities and Recording Studios alike, where the absolute highest standard of sound reproduction is desired. The Source + Plus TM is designed to improve the sound quality of your analog signal path, increasing the overall perception of volume, clarity, dimensional stereo imaging and sound stage."
This toy looks really OK for what i need . The problem is i dont think there is a way to try it before buying it from here .
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ill try to explain as short as possible .

I mix ITB peaking at - 6 to -1 dbfs on the master buss in my DAW .Then i am printing my mixes to my studer A 80 and this is the first stage where i need to push the signal from the apogee rosetta to hit the tape harder or not that hard - depends on the material .
The second stage is going back from Studer to the DAW ( apogee again).
I usually have the room ( haedroom ) to push the signal for extra 1 - 3 db from the studer before cliping or with some invisible clips .
So basically i need really sweet sounding almost invisible but still with some nice character gain makeup unit which is able to give me extra 1 to 6 or 7db of gain .
I am really looking for something unique , invisible but with some nice subtle hi end silk color - if you know what i mean .
Sounds like a job for either Manley (they did at least 1 custom order I know of: a pre for Ray Charles' rhodes) or, nearer you, Thomas Reussenzehn.
If you get a custom-made device, you can choose all the parts: tubes, transformers, etc...
But the cost may put you off, sorry.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search