GC 4th of July Sale?
Paulie
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Gear nut

GC 4th of July Sale?

Who is headed to Guitar Centers 4th of July sale? Are they worth it if you have gone in the past? I'm wondering what all the commercials about the "list" are.

I really want to go tomorrow but I'm debating if it's worth trucking the 60 miles.
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Gear maniac

I worked at GC for about 6 months. They're always hyping some "sale" or another. I wouldn't expect too much.
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onion View Post
I worked at GC for about 6 months. They're always hyping some "sale" or another. I wouldn't expect too much.
yup. if you get in good with some cats up there, you can get most of these deals year round.
we have a C level store here and, frankly, it bores the piss out of me. they carry prosumer level gear and everything i want is special order here. hell, i can order it and not pay for shipping and other hidden charges. GC sales are in a word, "YAWN"

dfegad
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Gear maniac

i just got off my shift working at gc, it is a mad house
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Guru

I went today, they lowered the Fender guitars that they paid for before they went up 30 percent, they are still higher...what a joke. Glad I already have my strats, I'm not buying anymore at Fenders prices.
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

got mine already, too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I went today, they lowered the Fender guitars that they paid for before they went up 30 percent, they are still higher...what a joke. Glad I already have my starts, I'm not buying anymore at Fenders prices.
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Guru

They will negotiate the same, every day of the year they are open.
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I went today, they lowered the Fender guitars that they paid for before they went up 30 percent, they are still higher...what a joke. Glad I already have my starts, I'm not buying anymore at Fenders prices.
They were able to keep standard strats at $999.99 for a decade. In that time, practically everything in your life has doubled. Gas was a buck and a quarter in '99. Milk was $2. So on and so forth. Now gas is almost $3. Milk is $4. But a standard strat went from $999.99 to $1200 and that's a big deal?

I NFLATION

Les Paul Standards went from like $1500 to like $2600 in that time.
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
They were able to keep standard strats at $999.99 for a decade. In that time, practically everything in your life has doubled. Gas was a buck and a quarter in '99. Milk was $2. So on and so forth. Now gas is almost $3. Milk is $4. But a standard strat went from $999.99 to $1200 and that's a big deal?

I NFLATION

Les Paul Standards went from like $1500 to like $2600 in that time.
I remember when a new Strat LISTED for $365. Case was another 25 bucks - LIST. Without the whammy bar a Strat was around $350. Typical selling price was around $275 with the whammy and the case.
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I remember when a new Strat LISTED for $365. Case was another 25 bucks - LIST. Without the whammy bar a Strat was around $350. Typical selling price was around $275 with the whammy and the case.
Hey John, we're showing our age here. In 1967 I bought a still new (turned out to be a '65) sunburst Strat with the bar and case for $275 from a local music store.

Re: the GC "list"-I usually seem to find something, especially discontinued stuff. Yesterday I bought a Casio Privia PX200 for $199. They had been selling these for $549, so I was pretty happy that I went since I've been looking for a better keyboard than the Williams I've been using.
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
99% of the time used items are not included in the sale, and you can't use coupons for them either
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
BRAAAAQPP!!!!!

I go to their holiday sales for cheap strings and used cables - that's about it!
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Gear interested

Don't do it. Just don't. It's not worth it. I've made this mistake too many times in the past. The only good thing I got on a "sale" was a Mustang Bass for $150 off. That's all.
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
If you're gonna go to GC for anything major, talk to GC PRO - only. THe other salesmen can't cut serious deals anymore.

Still, most of the time I go to my local indy pro audio dealer.
RTR
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

I got my 25% off card in the mail last week...to bad I dont have $250.00 to spend so I can use the card...but If I did..I would be going to GC!!
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

I will not be.

I do not shop at Guitar Center anymore.
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b View Post
I will not be.

I do not shop at Guitar Center anymore.
thank god for warren, VK, FEA, and the classifieds!
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
BRAAAAQPP!!!!!

I go to their holiday sales for cheap strings and used cables - that's about it!
Used... cables?
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Check the fine print...everytime I get a coupon in the mail from GC I'm tempted to go, until I read all the brands that the discount is not eligible for.
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

you can get better prices online anyhow.

most of the time when i'm looking at a high priced item, i ask GC to match it and they refuse to adjust for tax (no tax on online orders from other retailers, depends on your state).

dfegad

and besides that, the deals on CL for used gear are craaaaaaazy right now!
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

I just got Komplete 5 there yesterday, but they whined and made a fuss before using the 15 percent off coupon on it!
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAiken View Post
I just got Komplete 5 there yesterday, but they whined and made a fuss before using the 15 percent off coupon on it!
I've tried buying (wanted them to price match) a couple things recently from Guitar Center, and they practically wanted me to get a blood test/lie detector/court signed documentation before they would do anything. That just isn't cool to me, and as a consumer, I just won't do business anymore with a company like that.

On the other hand, I called Zzounds.com on the phone Friday morning, and told them I had a 20% off coupon from GC (I didn't have the coupon on me, and couldn't remember if it was 15 or 20% off - it was the 4th of July postcard GC sent out), and asked if they could price match it. The guy said, "Yeah, no problem, we'll do it for $10 less too." So I bought my Pedaltrain Pro pedalboard w/ ATA case for $230. Awesome. No hassles or BS, or being treated like a fookin crook. They also did the same a few weeks back when I bought my Marshall 2061CX cabinet from them. Price matched by word of mouth only. Amazing.
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
I've tried buying (wanted them to price match) a couple things recently from Guitar Center, and they practically wanted me to get a blood test/lie detector/court signed documentation before they would do anything. That just isn't cool to me, and as a consumer, I just won't do business anymore with a company like that.

On the other hand, I called Zzounds.com on the phone Friday morning, and told them I had a 20% off coupon from GC (I didn't have the coupon on me, and couldn't remember if it was 15 or 20% off - it was the 4th of July postcard GC sent out), and asked if they could price match it. The guy said, "Yeah, no problem, we'll do it for $10 less too." So I bought my Pedaltrain Pro pedalboard w/ ATA case for $230. Awesome. No hassles or BS, or being treated like a fookin crook. They also did the same a few weeks back when I bought my Marshall 2061CX cabinet from them. Price matched by word of mouth only. Amazing.

zzounds and samedaymusic are two awesome retailers to deal with
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Screw GC's 4th of July Sale. I bought a mattress instead at Macy's. 230 bucks, delivered! A $1,029 mattress at that!
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiaman View Post
Screw GC's 4th of July Sale. I bought a mattress instead at Macy's. 230 bucks, delivered! A $1,029 mattress at that!
holy crap. i'm in the market for one. did it come with the box spring?

lol, mattress talk on GS
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by awakened View Post
holy crap. i'm in the market for one. did it come with the box spring?

lol, mattress talk on GS
I have a platform bed, but the box spring is only a bit more!
mattresses - Macy's

Check that link!
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Every time I go there, it's Thing Wanted, Not Found.

In fact, it's Thing Wanted, Have No Idea What That Is. Followed quickly by an intense push for "We can special order that". Well guess what, it's 2009, and so can I. Why would I travel to a store to order something over the internet?

Want something simple like an EZ Drummer expansion? Uh, we don't carry those here, but would you like to purchase entirely different drum software and start all over again?

Uh, no.
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

You seem a little tense Mark. Help yourself to a $230 mattress!
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for beer

A good mattress is a beautiful thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiaman View Post
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman View Post
Every time I go there, it's Thing Wanted, Not Found.

In fact, it's Thing Wanted, Have No Idea What That Is. Followed quickly by an intense push for "We can special order that". Well guess what, it's 2009, and so can I. Why would I travel to a store to order something over the internet?

Want something simple like an EZ Drummer expansion? Uh, we don't carry those here, but would you like to purchase entirely different drum software and start all over again?

Uh, no.
That's what I experience about 75% of the time I go there. It's gotten to the point that I only go there to get things that I have seen there before.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search