AES/EBU to SPDIF conversion : Neutrik transformers
New Reply
Subscribe
MicSlut666
18th June 2009
Old 18th June 2009
Gear addict

AES/EBU to SPDIF conversion : Neutrik transformers

I am thinking of picking up some Neutrik transformers for converting AES/EBU to SPDIF and vice versa. The model numbers would be NADITBNC-FX and NADITBNC-MX + 2 extra BNC to Cinch adapters.

The boxes seem to get the impedance issues between AES (110 Ohm) and SPDIF (75 Ohm) right, but what about voltage? I heard that AES/EBU has an output voltage about 5 volts and SPDIF only 0,5 volts.

I would like to know if there would be any risk to damage my SPDIF port when using this converters.

Do these boxes work flawless for running AES/EBU units connected to a SPDIF port.

Happy about any feedback !
18th June 2009
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Most modern SP/DIF receivers are tolerant of AES/EBU input. You might want to look into the receiver chips involved to see whether any conversion is in fact necessary.

-synthoid
18th June 2009
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
The impedance change is important as the type of cabling has different 'characteristics'.
For SHORT cables it is not much of a deal and many receiver chips can recover the signal well but if you use long cables you start to get 'reflections' and the signal gets corrupted. Having the correct cable and TERMINATION sorts this out. It is not as crucial as wordclock but should still be done 'correctly'. The Neutrik transformers will not damage your gear.
Matt S

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search