How are your 512c knobs?
New Reply
Subscribe
Akoppenheffer
14th June 2009
Old 14th June 2009
Lives for gear

How are your 512c knobs?

In my lunch box, i have two 512c's. The first one I bought, the gain knob is very free turning. Not really much resistance or anything, just smooth and good. The second one I got, the gain knob has much more resistance. I don't know, it just bothers me. And sometimes it doesn't want to stay where you put it. I mean it will, but it'll fight. I dont think its worth sending back to API, but is this something that can be loosened or tightened? Any ideas are welcome!
15th June 2009
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

I have 2 that I bought at the same time a few years ago,

They both seem the same to me.

Maybe they changed a part between the 2 you bought.
15th June 2009
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

open it up and see if there is a thread you can loosen internally, that potentiometer needs to be able to be tightened and loosened one way or another.
SRS
15th June 2009
Old 15th June 2009
SRS
Lives for gear

I have 6 of them in a Lunch Box and they do vary some between them. One in particular is noticeably stiffer than the other 5. But it stays where I put it. It does not bother me though. There are 2 set screws in each knob. It is possible that the knob was pushed in all the way, then the set screws tightened, causing the knob itself to bind on the post or outer portion of it. Take an allen wrench and loosen the set screws and pull the knob out a bit and retighten it and see if that changes the resistance.

I would shy away from spraying any lube or cleaner into the pre though, unless you really know what you are doing and have the right spray (Caig Pro-Gold or Fader Lube, or Deoxit...)
16th June 2009
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
I have 6 of them in a Lunch Box and they do vary some between them. One in particular is noticeably stiffer than the other 5. But it stays where I put it. It does not bother me though. There are 2 set screws in each knob. It is possible that the knob was pushed in all the way, then the set screws tightened, causing the knob itself to bind on the post or outer portion of it. Take an allen wrench and loosen the set screws and pull the knob out a bit and retighten it and see if that changes the resistance.

I would shy away from spraying any lube or cleaner into the pre though, unless you really know what you are doing and have the right spray (Caig Pro-Gold or Fader Lube, or Deoxit...)
That sounds about right... I'll have to check it out. And I won't be going in there with like a can of WD-40, haha. I know better than that. Thanks for the suggestions.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search