New Reply
Subscribe
skiroy
8th June 2009
Old 8th June 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to skiroy
Dithering in Adobe or Sonar

Okay so I do all my tracking and mixing in Sonar in 24bit. But I like to use Adobe audition to limit it to zero. Their analysing statistics option and their hard limiter just takes the guess work out for me and thats how I like to do it.

But my question is on when to dither and I also use Waves L2 for dithering only and Im havent ever tried to use third party plugs in adobe yet so someone enlighten me. But anyways should I mix the project in sonar from to 24 to 24bit and turn it dithering off then limit it in adobe and then apply dithering? Does it really matter? Im just concerned that if I dither and mix down to 16bit from sonar and then limit it and resave it with adobe that Im might degrade the signal?

Any insight?
8th June 2009
Old 8th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
Does it really matter?
No. At least not for typical pop music.

--Ethan
8th June 2009
Old 8th June 2009
Gear addict

I would keep the audio at 24 bit for export out of Sonar and import into Audition. If you do any internal bounces within Sonar, I would enable the triangular dither, since the audio engine operates at either 32 bit or 64 bit floating point. Of course, when you export your final file out of Audition at 16 bit you should dither with something appropriate like PowR or MBit, etc.
8th June 2009
Old 8th June 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to skiroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dee View Post
I would keep the audio at 24 bit for export out of Sonar and import into Audition. If you do any internal bounces within Sonar, I would enable the triangular dither, since the audio engine operates at either 32 bit or 64 bit floating point. Of course, when you export your final file out of Audition at 16 bit you should dither with something appropriate like PowR or MBit, etc.
Okay cool but that brings up another question. The dithering that you speak about in sonar under the Audio settings under Advanced settings. Is this dithering setting only for playback and recording not exporting? Can this be set to none? Im asking because I never understand if I need to turn this setting to none or just the one that comes up for dithering when to export? Should the one that comes up when exporting be set to no dithering if your using a third party dithering plug in?

I ask because whats the point of having this nice waves dithering plugin if sonar is going to apply its dithering anyways?
8th June 2009
Old 8th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
Okay cool but that brings up another question. The dithering that you speak about in sonar under the Audio settings under Advanced settings. Is this dithering setting only for playback and recording not exporting? Can this be set to none? Im asking because I never understand if I need to turn this setting to none or just the one that comes up for dithering when to export? Should the one that comes up when exporting be set to no dithering if your using a third party dithering plug in?

I ask because whats the point of having this nice waves dithering plugin if sonar is going to apply its dithering anyways?
The dither in sonar is both for playing and exporting, i think recording has only a dc offset correcting option, no dither..... it can be set to none, rectangular, triangular, and pow-r (1,2 & 3) even if you do bounce in high bit rates (higher than 16 bit) its is correctly dithered to the bitrate you use... i set it to none while playing and to pow-r when exporting...

i normally export my mixes to a 32bit (or 24bit for larger files) 96khz file, with the Pow-r dither ... and then do my final dithering leveling and maximizing within sonar... BTW sonar 's pow-r dither does a great job... i use wavelab almost exclusively as a sound editor... before i used it for mastering, now i think sonar makes it easier...

IMHO the dithering in sonar is better than waves IDR.
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear interested

My understanding is that you should only dither once - after you have completed all other signal processing - usually at the end of the mastering stage when you convert to 16/44.1.
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminfrog View Post
My understanding is that you should only dither once - after you have completed all other signal processing - usually at the end of the mastering stage when you convert to 16/44.1.
Yes, that's my understanding, too. And Sonar's dithering is very good.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search