Subscribe
28th July 2009
Old 28th July 2009
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
what's your take on the sliders Jim?
Crappola. Run the input at -10 db and push that Alps fader to the top, sounds nice. Set gain at 0 and put the fader at 0 and the losses occur.

Those can and should be replaced. I use TKD faders in mine. They also let you change the wire, something you can't do with P+G. Anal tweakers can invest in BI Tech conductive plastic 16 mm pots, order a few hundred and go for it.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
28th July 2009
Old 28th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
I recently picked up a midas 320 and I am very impressed.
It sounds incredible. Low noise. Noisey drum machines and synths are no longer noisey. Seriously. It is really amazing.
It's built like a tank and feels solid to the fingers.
The summing is stellar. I used an api 8200a previously and I'm not hearing any degradation at all.
It has EQ.
It has 4 busses.
It doesn't have inline monitoring, so, for a 16 track setup the 240 wont' do ... you'll need a 320. But for just mixing .... it's no brainer.
It's changed my life. Screwing around with patching, patching, patching outboard/summing mixers/etc. ... ugh that noise! blah.
It's not a problem anymore. I can patch in my fav comp and EQ where I want it and it sounds sweet.
2500 on the drum bus, ssl xrack comps on whichever channels I choose, 384 across the mix bus.
The build quality issues with the Toft turned me off to it. The Allen and Heath mixers that I used, while nice sounding, are NOT a Midas. This board is in a different league ... forget about mackie etc they do not compare.
interesting... how does the eq compare to other consoles in that price range (Soundcraft/Mackie/Toft ect) So the summing is as good as API an summing box? Is the eq anywhere near API sonically ?
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Gear addict

Just before i bought my desk, We did an A/B steming 16 channels to a toft - behringer - makie - old Soundcraft Spitit Sudio 24/8/2.
We Listened to how well they all did Summing, Imaging Tone Width ect
We aslo tried the consoles EQs. I ended up Buying the souncraft.
Soundraft Sounded best.
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
Analog Audio Consoles - APB-DynaSonics.com

The APB Dynasonic are new and fabulous. I'm putting in a prorack for etra inputs and summing.
Yes. At the last SF AES show I met Chuck Augustowski, who is the "A" in APB and had quite an extensive conversation with him. I was very impressed with both the design and build quality of his consoles.
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRockit View Post
interesting... how does the eq compare to other consoles in that price range (Soundcraft/Mackie/Toft ect) So the summing is as good as API an summing box? Is the eq anywhere near API sonically ?
What? You want to know if a console that costs $6000 list for 32 inputs has EQs that compare to units costing $1200 per channel? Are you nuts?

The Midas Venice EQs are excellent in their price range and are derived from EQs that are recognized as probably the best on any live consoles. You cannot get better bang for the buck.

Are they comparable to API EQs that have stepped attenators made of hand matched 1% resistors? No.

You're comparing apples to avocados.
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

Hey I know that .... I certainly don't expect Midas to be in the same category as API it's just I have some API stuff and a Mackie console so it's a reference point for me... And BTW yes I am quite insane, ty
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

JCrockit,
The EQ isn't API, but it's definitely nice. It is far superior to the prosumer range that you mentioned. An analogy would be: what the RNP or Grace designs mic preamps are to mackie/soundcraft/A&H, is what the Midas EQ is to the EQ in those boards. The EQ isn't as open or focused as the EQ in a world class preamp, but it isn't anything to put down. And, of course, it isn't going to be as sweet as the EQ in a dedicated unit. But it is really nice and easy to use.

So, if you've mic'd and recorded your sources well, you won't need that much EQ anyway. I find it's more about compression after the fact anyway. Just capture the source well and the EQ'ing will be subtle. For character, I use compressors or a piece that has the "character" of the "brand" that I'm looking for i.e. Neve, Chandler, API etc.

The thing about the Venice board, when compared to the prosumer level, is the build quality and sound quality. It has a tight, clean sound with nice stereo separation. Yes, the summing, both recorded and monitoring, is as nice as the API 8200a. It is present, punchy, wide and focused. It has a lot of inputs and outputs, grouping, faders, monitoring, inserts etc. It also has some decent preamps that are good for DI'ing synths etc. And the EQ is great for balancing things that are recorded well.

Here's another analogy: prism et al. might be analogous to buying a desk by rupert neve or ssl or api, whereas Lynx aurora is analogous to Midas and Toft etc whereas RME, digidesign etc is A&H and soundcraft .... to my ears at least.

I monitor using Genelec 8030's with sub and through JBL loudspeakers with an 18 sub .... plus Sennheiser hd650 cans

To me, it's all about work-flow and I can't get into the the modular thing that summing boxes require. I want things to be centralized.
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

trashman thanks ! excellent explanation, I see what you are saying I think. I also have to try and capture the coloration eq/compression when tracking as much as possible, and will probably only use the console as you say for light EQ duties/routing and summing. For me it will probably eventually come down to going the API 8200 route and patching it into the 2 buss on the Mackie or a console like we are discussing. You sure do get a bigger bang for your buck though if the summing is equal to API ! I mean it would be nice to have EQs on the modules you dont hesitate to go to in a pinch as you build up lunchbox stuff...
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I am having a delta modded by Jim Williams. He has done some stuff in the past and I am sure I will love it.

I would say that any decent Analog EQ is better then any plugin EQ. I find that to be the case all the time.
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Yes. At the last SF AES show I met Chuck Augustowski, who is the "A" in APB and had quite an extensive conversation with him. I was very impressed with both the design and build quality of his consoles.

+1 I have one and love it for recording (mixdown only) it is a very pro mixer and sounds & functions better than many other more expensive "vintage" desks I have....
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobichaud View Post
I am using Pro Tools LE 8 with a 003 mixer and I want to be able to mix the 16 outs through a board and am looking at what the best option would be. I was looking at a Toft Audio ATB16, Midas Venice 240 (because it has 16 pre's + 4 stereo channels for other uses), or the Mackie Onyx 1640.

If anyone has any suggestions for something better or thinks I should go with one of these, let me know. Thanks.
Look into a Soundtracs Topaz or a Ramsa WRS series. Not much love for them around these parts, but they are nice pieces and the Ramsa has major mojo. The e.q. is useable but not surgical, the preamps on the Ramsa are wonderful (to me). With the money you saved from buying one of these instead of the trendy choices, you could buy a nice stereo e.q. for the master Buss and have a sweet, sweet setup/sound.

I'd look for a used Allen and Heath GS3000 before buying the Toft or Midas. The 3000 is a recording board with all the routing/options you'll probablly ever need. Just something else to consider.

Music I'm working on here:
http://www.myspace.com/eucalyptuspond

Paintings:
http://shannonjsimmons.wordpress.com/
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
So, if you've mic'd and recorded your sources well, you won't need that much EQ anyway. I find it's more about compression after the fact anyway. Just capture the source well and the EQ'ing will be subtle. For character, I use compressors or a piece that has the "character" of the "brand" that I'm looking for i.e. Neve, Chandler, API etc.

That's my feelings about it too. Boards with killer e.q's are very nice, but in the big scheme of things, if you're the one tracking , e.q is usually something that doesn't even need to happen and can be avoided entirely
with moving mics/ spaces.....yada yada yada. As long as low and high e.q can do what it's supposed to, you should be golden in my book my just an average e.q. on a board.

Folks receiving material to mix that they DIDN'T track will see this differently for ovious reasons.

What trashman mentioned is the basis of my suggestion too by not having to really "correct" anything, with extra cash saved, a killer stereo e.q or compressor could be used to sweeten/tighten the whole mix and be used for others duties.
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=steelyfan;4751384]Look into a Soundtracs Topaz or a Ramsa WRS series.

Hate to differ w/you, but I have both of the above AND the APB - Both of those sound like toys compared to the APB......
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Claude G.;4751707]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Look into a Soundtracs Topaz or a Ramsa WRS series.

Hate to differ w/you, but I have both of the above AND the APB - Both of those sound like toys compared to the APB......
It's ok. Differences make the world go round.

You wouldn't be the first to differ either.

I like my Ramsa alot though. Has the perfect amount of smokeyness/haze to it. Maybe it's the built in grainyness, inferior whatever , fuzzy e.q. ?????? I can't really pinpoint what it is really , I just know I like what it does to audio. Not for everyone for sure.
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=steelyfan;4751741]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude G. View Post

It's ok. Differences make the world go round.

You wouldn't be the first to differ either.

I like my Ramsa alot though. Has the perfect amount of smokeyness/haze to it. Maybe it's the built in grainyness, inferior whatever , fuzzy e.q. ?????? I can't really pinpoint what it is really , I just know I like what it does to audio. Not for everyone for sure.

...and in all fairness to these mixers, mine were bought used, and I am NOT technical enough to know if they were functioning properly...I do love my brand new APB, though!!thumbsup
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Claude G.;4751908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post

...and in all fairness to these mixers, mine were bought used, and I am NOT technical enough to know if they were functioning properly...I do love my brand new APB, though!!thumbsup

My Wrs-4424 is still crackly on some channels!
I've heard lovely things about the ATB, and know they are regarded as nice pieces to work with. E.q. is supposed to be bees knees.

Honestly, I have spent alot of time researching and hand picking every piece in my studio. When I decided to get a mixer, I had the money to get something of more $$$$, but understood the Ramsa to be a critical part of the big picture for me. I think it's a smart move to understand what you are going for, the end product, and what pieces you need to get there. I guess an example would be like getting a really nice clean boutique preamp, and then later trying to find something to "fix" those sterile/vanilla clean tracks (like distressors or vibey compressors) when the front end could have provided that to begin with. At least that's how I try to work. Drums and DI bass L O V E the Ramsa.

cheers,
Steelyfan
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009

6th November 2009
Old 6th November 2009
Lives for gear

14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search