Lil' Freq
New Reply
Subscribe
StuartMac
5th August 2005
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Lil' Freq

I've had one of these for a few months now, but I wanted to wait until I'd really used it before posting any impressions.

First of all, it's an extremely flexible and versatile tool. I know Dave Derr was aiming for something that could be used in both a clean AND coloured way, and I think he succeeded pretty well. Personally, I have been enjoying the subtle colour you can get from it at mixdown on vocals. The two different outputs are very handy as well (electronically balanced or transformer balanced, I believe) and the difference between them is often quite pronounced - especially on bass DI.

It's also a very powerful unit, in that seemingly minor changes go a long way. The filters are well-selected, as are the shelving frequencies (initially I thought the HF started a little low in theory, but in practice it works well). The de-esser is really excellent, although again a little goes a long way - this is one section where it's easy to overdo things and screw things up.

Nice surprises? The HF limiter and the de-esser do a nice job on lessening hi-hat bleed on snare tracks. It is excellent for lead vocals at mix down (in fact, I think I have used it on every lead vocal since I got it, including one singer who has the hardest voice to capture that I have ever heard!!). It can get very surgical with a nice tight Q. It's also very musical and has a very smooth top-end - not quite in the league of the Ibis, but loads better than my Audient console EQ or my Expounders.

Finally, the DI is great for bass. I didn't bother with it for weeks, and then for once had a couple of hours spare one day for a little shoot-out. I've always loved the DI on the IBP for bass, and the Lil' Freq was similar but a little richer and fuller sounding. As mentioned the two outputs were radically different as well - one far more modern, the other softer and warmer.

It's a great unit, really. In fact I'm surprised nobody's snapped up the pair Barforama has for sale,.
5th August 2005
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

cool man, thanks for sharing. i may have to grab one real soon.
joshua
6th August 2005
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

I`d like to get one as well but I`m kind of stuck on the idea of the Great River EQ right now.

I`m wondering why we haven`t heard more on the freq.
You`d think people would be all over it by now.

The HF limiter feature looks really cool.

Dave just thinks up some really neat shit. I`m wondering what he`s gonna come up with next.
8th August 2005
Old 8th August 2005
Gear addict

I agree, I havn't really been able to find alot of "real world" user info. on the lil freq. kinda surprised by that! the distressor was the same way. I ended up getting 4 of those for my kiks and snare and was very happy. my lil freq is reported to arrive this saturday and I'm expecting "big things" if I like it i'll get another. I was going to get a couple of API 560's but, I was so happy with the empirical labs that I decided to try out more of their stuff......The Klauth.
8th August 2005
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Head

How would you compare the de-esser on the Lil' freq, to the DBX 902?

I was thinking about getting 2 of these, for my vocal chain, instead of
trying to get 902's to go along with my current vocal Eq and Compressor.

Thanks
StuartMac
9th August 2005
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

I don't have a 902 here, but I do have an SPL De-esser and a Drawmer MX50. The Lil Freq is a good deal more transparent than either of these when set properly, but takes a little more time to set up initially
9th August 2005
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to studjo Send a message via Skype™ to studjo
I think the little freq is a very deep unit. I have one for checking out at the moment. I know that I need way more time to find all the sweetness Dave put in that thing. But the deesser is THE shit - I really like it. I don't have to turn thos knobs too far - a little goes a long way - if you move one pot, you'll hear it imediately; that's how I like it.

I might get one or two

Jo
6th July 2007
Old 6th July 2007
Lives for gear

I own one channel, and totally love it.

Recently i was able to rescue a poorly recorded lead vocal with it.

I'm now considering a second one.....
6th July 2007
Old 6th July 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to studjo Send a message via Skype™ to studjo
little update - I have 2 now - meanwhile I changed to a bigger desk with an amazing EQ, so I don't use em that much anymore but the De-esser is still great and the HF comp comes in very handy - I won't sell em (I didn't mention that the Lowcut is amazing too - Dave for President)

Jo
6th August 2007
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

I just bought my second Lil Freq - damn that Dave Derr!

(kidding)
6th August 2007
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

It's Lil Freq admiration thread.
Actually, never heard anything less than good or great opinions on them.
IMO they are excellent.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search