Old 17th May 2009
Gear addict

Brimar tubes

Hey,

I've got a load of Brimar tubes (about 30) and am wondering what kind of ££ I could get for these guys? I've got a load of ECC83's and a few others. I haven't looked at all of them but they seem to be in working order...

Any ideas?

Clarky
Old 19th August 2009
Gear nut

Does anyone have any experience using the Brimar E88CC tube? Clarkey, try any of your 83's yet? How do they sound?

I have a Rode K2 mic and possibly will use the Brimar E88CC for it. I am looking to see if anyone here has any feed back on this tube. I posted this question on another thread, but the thread was not really about this tube, so I am trying my luck here.. Anybody?????
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestat26 View Post
I have a Rode K2 mic and possibly will use the Brimar E88CC for it. I am looking to see if anyone here has any feed back on this tube. I posted this question on another thread, but the thread was not really about this tube, so I am trying my luck here.. Anybody?????
Tuco, generally speaking, the Brimar E88CC is a good tube. Very few 6922s are good enough to be used in mics because they are usually microphonic and sometimes noisy. So, that's a potential issue no matter what brand of tube you put in that mic. The only way to know is to listen to the tube.
Brimars are pretty warm and should help take the edge off of the K2 while adding midrange detail and warmth. Brimars are very similar to Mullards but cost less because of the Mullard name being so popular.
Old 19th August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
Tuco, generally speaking, the Brimar E88CC is a good tube. Very few 6922s are good enough to be used in mics because they are usually microphonic and sometimes noisy. So, that's a potential issue no matter what brand of tube you put in that mic. The only way to know is to listen to the tube.
Brimars are pretty warm and should help take the edge off of the K2 while adding midrange detail and warmth. Brimars are very similar to Mullards but cost less because of the Mullard name being so popular.
Thanks for the info Manco>> I was hoping you were going to find this thread, since your quite knowledgeble about tubes. I haven't had a chance to try the Brimar out yet. I found the Brimar and an Amperex E88CC Usa gold pin at an electronic store the other day. I got both of them for $18.00 each. When I get my 002r Sig series back from Bla, I will try them both out in the K2 and hope to god they are not microphonic , or noisy. If they are, then it wasn't much of a loss for I got them cheap. If they are faulty, I will let you know and see what you got to sell.
Old 19th August 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
God, it's hard for me to believe what tubes go for these days...... A 12AX7 used to go for $2 or $3......... And those were the RCAs and Sylvanias that are "collectors tubes" now........ Un-****in'-believable..........

And now $18 each is cheap.........
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
God, it's hard for me to believe what tubes go for these days...... A 12AX7 used to go for $2 or $3......... And those were the RCAs and Sylvanias that are "collectors tubes" now........ Un-****in'-believable..........

I ordered a replacement tube for my NTK today and it cost me $12. On the site I bought it from I could have paid $190 for ONE Amperex USA 6922. It makes me wonder if it is REALLY that big of a difference...

Some of the other sites I looked at had telefunken 6922's for upwards of $500....
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

$18 is cheap for sure. LOL
i spent $110 for power tubes for my deluxe reverb.
$280 for the complete 7 tube retube, all 50's rca long plates/blackplates.
they sound dam good though.
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclark View Post
Hey,

I've got a load of Brimar tubes (about 30) and am wondering what kind of ££ I could get for these guys? I've got a load of ECC83's and a few others. I haven't looked at all of them but they seem to be in working order...

Any ideas?

Clarky
The only way to find out for real is to put them on ebay.

It depends on working condition, physical condition, whether they include original boxes, what tube types, and who made them; Brimar manufactured tubes for many years, but after they stopped doing so they bought tubes made elsewhere and screened their logo on them, which was a common practice; tubes of that type are worth much less than those Brimar manufactured in England.
Old 20th August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleharmonium View Post
The only way to find out for real is to put them on ebay.

It depends on working condition, physical condition, whether they include original boxes, what tube types, and who made them; Brimar manufactured tubes for many years, but after they stopped doing so they bought tubes made elsewhere and screened their logo on them, which was a common practice; tubes of that type are worth much less than those Brimar manufactured in England.
I haven't got to try out my Brimar just yet. But it looks pretty old, and I am hoping it is genuine and made in England (although it says that it is on the tube), without any noise problems.
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

hope they work for ya. Some of those nos tubes (new old stock) are expensive because it is hard to store them for so long with out them degrading. don't worry about the burnt looks, thats from the factory that way (getter flash).

if they have a lot of nosie or not enough gain, you might want to cook them in by jigging them up on some tube sockets and running just the heaters on them for a day or two with a 6 volt ac transformer. this will cook off the oxidization of the cathodes due to time and improper storage.

Last edited by drtechno; 20th August 2009 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: 6 volt heater instead of 12 volt
Old 20th August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
hope they work for ya. Some of those nos tubes (new old stock) are expensive because it is hard to store them for so long with out them degrading. don't worry about the burnt looks, thats from the factory that way (getter flash).

if they have a lot of nosie or not enough gain, you might want to cook them in by jigging them up on some tube sockets and running just the heaters on them for a day or two with a 12 volt ac transformer. this will cook off the oxidization of the cathodes due to time and improper storage.
drtechno

here is my brimar tube. It is probably hard to tell from the pics, but does this one look like the older ones, or a remake? Is there anyway to tell? If anyone else has any input, please don't be shy
Attached Thumbnails
Brimar tubes-brimar-6922.jpg   Brimar tubes-brimar-6922.jpg  
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

what are the numbers on the near the bottom before the pins.

they could have been a set that was marketed together as a service replacements and was sold in groups of two. They were two places made them, one set was made in england the other was made by Amperex which also had a manufacturing contract with Service Masters at the time.
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

After consulting my library of tube data:

The print is 1960's brimar, these were hand stamped.if they have a machine stamp number at the bottom depending on the number, they could be relabled tubes early 60's mullard made in india millitary grade cv5358 or cv2493. ESt price: $100-$150 NOS $40-75 used. They would sound like 50's brimar (same print type but red ink no bottom print)

this tube is a 6922/E88CC/CV5358
or the
6922/E88CC-01/CV2493

nice sounding 6DJ8
Old 20th August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
The print is 1960's brimar, these were hand stamped.if they have a machine stamp number at the bottom depending on the number, they could be relabled tubes early 60's mullard made in india millitary grade cv5358 or cv2493. ESt price: $100-$150 NOS $40-75 used. They would sound like 50's brimar (same print type but red ink no bottom print)

this tube is a 6922/E88CC/CV5358
or the
6922/E88CC-01/CV2493

nice sounding 6DJ8
Thanks for the info.. The stamp numbers above the pins say "R9L3". With white ink, but pretty faded. I had to put it under direct light to see the stamp. It looks machined. With this stamp, is it possible to narrow down the info to which one it is?
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

You can still sniff out some deals if you look in the right places....
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the info.. The stamp numbers above the pins say "R9L3". With white ink, but pretty faded. I had to put it under direct light to see the stamp. It looks machined. With this stamp, is it possible to narrow down the info to which one it is?
Mullard's Mitcham factory, December, 1969.

With all respects to the other poster, folks should be very cautious when using the rejuvination methods described earlier. It should be reserved only for tubes that are nearly exhausted (time and storage are rarely an issue, but actual use is) and it's usually for a period of seconds, not hours. Performing rejuvination risks descruction of the tube. Again, I mean absolutely no disrespect to the other poster, I just felt obligated to offer this word of caution.
Old 20th August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Mullard's Mitcham factory, December, 1969.

With all respects to the other poster, folks should be very cautious when using the rejuvination methods described earlier. It should be reserved only for tubes that are nearly exhausted (time and storage are rarely an issue, but actual use is) and it's usually for a period of seconds, not hours. Performing rejuvination risks descruction of the tube. Again, I mean absolutely no disrespect to the other poster, I just felt obligated to offer this word of caution.
Thanks Bowie,

Since I don't have much experience with the mechanics or cosmetics of tubes, how does the one that i have look? Think it looks like it needs rejuvenation methods? I will get to hear this tube in my K2 mic here by next week , so I will hear how it sounds which matter most huh?, but until then I don't know if the pins look corroded or dirty and if that matters alot,, I am sure usage is a factor as you say, but any more details here is greatly appreciated.
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Bowie,

Since I don't have much experience with the mechanics or cosmetics of tubes, how does the one that i have look? Think it looks like it needs rejuvenation methods? I will get to hear this tube in my K2 mic here by next week , so I will hear how it sounds, but but until then I don't know if the pins look corroded or dirty,, I am sure there's more to the inside as well, and usage, but forgive my noobyness here.....
The appearance of your particular E88CC gives no indication as to the condition. Some people think there are certain tricks but the truth is, if the getter flash is large (like it is in yours), you can never tell. Corroded pins are common. Use 2000-grit (automotive style) sandpaper until the pins are clean. Then, treat them with some kind of protectant (like deoxit/pro-gold).
If the tube is near the end of it's life, it will probably sound dull and lifeless. Regarding rejuvination, IMO, it's a last-ditch effort and should be strictly regarded as an alternative to throwing the tube away. I don't bother with it because I would never sell a rejuvinated tube as they are not reliable.
Bad/weak tubes are not usually found at electronics stores because most responsible techs have the good sense to throw them out. So, yours should be ok. Weak tubes are usually found on ebay where tube fraud is rampant.

I think your main concern here is going to be microphonics. Out of the hundreds of 6DJ8/6922 variants I've had, only about 1 in 10 ever makes it to a microphone and about 1 in 20 can be considered for high-end mics. Chances are, yours may be tolerable but succeptible to vibration noise. Here's hoping for the best.
Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 20th August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
The appearance of your particular E88CC gives no indication as to the condition. Some people think there are certain tricks but the truth is, if the getter flash is large (like it is in yours), you can never tell. Corroded pins are common. Use 2000-grit (automotive style) sandpaper until the pins are clean. Then, treat them with some kind of protectant (like deoxit/pro-gold).
If the tube is near the end of it's life, it will probably sound dull and lifeless. Regarding rejuvination, IMO, it's a last-ditch effort and should be strictly regarded as an alternative to throwing the tube away. I don't bother with it because I would never sell a rejuvinated tube as they are not reliable.
Bad/weak tubes are not usually found at electronics stores because most responsible techs have the good sense to throw them out. So, yours should be ok. Weak tubes are usually found on ebay where tube fraud is rampant.

I think your main concern here is going to be microphonics. Out of the hundreds of 6DJ8/6922 variants I've had, only about 1 in 10 ever makes it to a microphone and about 1 in 20 can be considered for high-end mics. Chances are, yours may be tolerable but succeptible to vibration noise. Here's hoping for the best.
Keep your fingers crossed.
Perfect,, appreciate you feedback. I am very curious to see how this tube performs then. I will reinstall the Chinese stock (looks very new), record a guitar with it, then do the same with this tube. Possibly post the guitar samples and give you guys a listen to the differences.
Old 22nd September 2009
Gear interested

I would agree with anyone who says Brimar tubes sound pretty good and cost less than Mullard however those in the know who have experience with Brimar would tell you that they are not by nature a very reliable tube. They have a specialty which are the black box plate 12at7wa's which are very fine and they have the 13d series of premium tubes which are very good. Not as good as some of the other top shelf from Mullard Cifte Amperex or the better USA brands but still good high end reliable tubes. Standard Brimars however are not a tube which I would want to rely upon. They seem to be working well and one day they may just go noisy or fail.
Old 22nd September 2009
Gear addict

I use Brimars in V1 in my amps - Hiwatt Custom 50 and Sligo 5e8a.I`ve tested Brimar ecc88 in my AT4060 and it had the nicest sound from other ecc88 i tested but it was a bit microphonic.Detailed , liquidy top and midrange not as pronounced as Mullard.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search