Subscribe
jakes
16th May 2009
Old 16th May 2009
Gear nut

Plugin that recreates Yamaha SPX90

Hi there,

Maybe a foolish question, but is there any plugin where you can create the same
pitch shift as the preset #23 pitch change c in a Yamaha SPX90 ??

Regards

Jakes
jakes
16th May 2009
Old 16th May 2009
Gear nut

bump
16th May 2009
Old 16th May 2009
Gear Guru

what is specific to the spx90 pitch shift that you feel you're unable to get from any of the current plugs? try some free ones at kvr

KVR: rs-met Pitch Shifter - Virtual Effect

I have and love my old spx90 ][, I still use the stereo delay on it.

If I remember correctly that pitch shift was pretty cude, I mean - like 1985 or something, and in a multi-efx box... shouldn't be that hard to get in the ballpark.
jakes
16th May 2009
Old 16th May 2009
Gear nut

The setting on SPX 90 is a Dual pitch shifter. How do I create the same with a plugin ??

J.
P.S. I´m on OS X
16th May 2009
Old 16th May 2009
Gear Guru

dual as in left right, or dual as in two pitches at the same time in the same channels? I would imaging it's probably different pitches in each channel?

this one from Audio Damage might be the ticket:
Audio Damage :: Discord v2

way more complex than the SPX, but should be able to be dumbed down to what you need.
16th May 2009
Old 16th May 2009
Gear Guru

"Vintage Pitch Shifting"

jakes
16th May 2009
Old 16th May 2009
Gear nut

I already own Discord2 but cannot come near what SPX90 Pitch Shift C sounds like.

Maybe someone could help here with settings in Discrord2 ??

Jakes
16th May 2009
Old 16th May 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, +1 for Discord. Great Plug on the cheap.
16th May 2009
Old 16th May 2009
Lives for gear

The thing to realise about digital pitch shifting, especially older real-time digital pitchshifting - is that it is a destructive process that introduces artifacts to your sound. Maybe this is what you want, but I suspect all you really want is the pitchshift detune effect that they were aiming for, less the artifacts.

Imagine you have a perfectly digitised audio wave, and you want to raise the pitch. We can easily play back that sample at a slightly higher rate, and this results in a higher pitch. But - just like tape varispeed - the sample plays for a shorter time. To compensate for this, the digital algorithmn has to "time stretch" the sample. To do this, we need to create more audio information to make it play for longer at the higher sample rate. To make up this audio data, we can take parts of the audio wave and loop them, to stretch them out for longer.

There is a similar problem if we want to pitch shift the sample down - this time the sample would play for too long at the lower rate, therefore we need to discard audio data. We can find parts of the wave that can be thrown away.

It takes some time for the logical operations to figure out which parts of the waveform are best for looping or discarding. You will find that most of the early digital pitchshifters gave you some options. You could have a very small time delay (while it was calculating this stuff), but the results were fairly gnarly and glitchy. Or you could have a longer delay, which gave it more time to figure things out, and that resulted in a smoother output with less artifacts.

I believe the basic pitchshift chorus effect you want is basically two pitch shifts, one pitched up and one pitch down by a few cents. There will be a small delay as well - which fortunately gives depth to a chorus effect.

You can recreate this very well with most DAWS without using plugins. Simply clone your mono track to two new tracks. Use your best offline pitchshifting algorithm that most DAWs have. This is best done offline, where the software can make the best quality rendering instead of having to make compromised decisions in real time.

I would recommend +10 cents and -10 cents as a starting point. Pan the detuned tracks hard left & right. Shift these tracks forward by about 30 milliseconds (or use a delay - 100% wet - no repeats).

By tweaking the detune amount and the delay, I believe you could recreate the effect you want very well, and probably better. On the other hand, if you are digging the noise & artifacts of the real thing, then nothing will replace it. You could try grunging your detuned tracks slightly with perhaps a bitcrusher or distortion, eq, pipeline impulse etc, etc.
17th May 2009
Old 17th May 2009
Gear Guru

lwr
17th May 2009
Old 17th May 2009
lwr
Gear addict

agreed. youre not going to just get that sound from a plugin.
its the convertors, the way it processes, everything
buy one. ive got one, cant get a sound like it from a plugin.
17th May 2009
Old 17th May 2009
Lives for gear

Had to happen - SPX-90 now officially classed as vintage!

Do the plug-ins recreate the Niagara Falls level of noise as well - if not, it's not a faithful emulation!

My fave preset was 'Ensemble' - please someone help me remember what preset number it was - 40-something I think, unlike my age... ahem...!

· Use your real name - keep Gearslutz authoritative, accountable and courteous.
· Stop the superlatives madness - just say no to gear threads with the word 'best' in the title.
· Words or WAVs? The former are interesting, the latter are convincing.
· Author of the unofficial GEARSLUTZ APPLICATION FORM
17th May 2009
Old 17th May 2009
Lives for gear

If ya really love that "SPX90 thing", and you want it in your DAW minus conversion and noise issues, and you have some money to spend: the SPX-2000 has all the old SPX-90 patches in a separate bank, and it interfaces digitally into and out of your DAW.
"Go back and re-mix your fav test mix making sure that at every place in all chains (including between all plug-ins) level never gets bigger than -6dBr. Make sure your final output also never peaks beyond -6dBr. Now do the comparison between this ITB mix and a similar OTB mix. You might have a big surprise." - Paul Frindle
18th May 2009
Old 18th May 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwailoh View Post
If ya really love that "SPX90 thing", and you want it in your DAW minus conversion and noise issues, and you have some money to spend: the SPX-2000 has all the old SPX-90 patches in a separate bank, and it interfaces digitally into and out of your DAW.
would be nice a spx90 vs. spx2000 spx90 emulation.
18th May 2009
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Guru

So buy an SPX-90 - they're cheap enough......
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to dkelley
just got one for $20, so yea you can find 'em out there. this one had input level dropout problem, cleaned the pot carefully and it's fine now.

Don
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear maniac

24th June 2009
Old 24th June 2009
Gear maniac

I second that, for the price of a plugin you could get the spx90, or better go for the 90II version, or if you want it to be less noisy go for a spx2000, but that wouldn't make it the ol vintage spx90 now would it :D. Succes!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search