Login / Register

Yamaha Electone Organ (BK-4C)... any experiences?
New Reply
Subscribe
dubrichie
11th May 2009
Old 11th May 2009
Lives for gear

Yamaha Electone Organ (BK-4C)... any experiences?

alrighty,

i'm going to take a look at a Yamaha Electone BK-4C organ that is for sale in my locality.

just wondering if anyone has any experience of any such Yamaha Electone organs.

this one is from 1976, is all analog and allegedly in immaculate condition.

i'm thinking of buying it as a Hammond substitute.

the seller is asking for €400 but i reckon i can get him down to €200.

it looks like this:

i'm on a bit of an instrument shopping spree at the moment. bought a nice P Bass tonight, fishing around gumtree and the buy & sell (aka the broken & stolen!) for guitars and amps.

any advice on 1970's electric organs that are not Hammonds?!

cheers,

Richie.

"a paradigm of restraint and good taste at a time of frequent excess"
dubrichie
11th May 2009
Old 11th May 2009
Lives for gear

12th May 2009
Old 12th May 2009
Gear maniac

I'm not familiar with this particular organ, but I can tell you that if it's not tonewheel, it won't sound like a Hammond. Even most of the non-tonewheel Hammonds are basically worthless.

I went down a similar route, getting (for free) a 80's Galanti organ, thinking it would give me a Hammondish sound. But then I found a Hammond L100 spinet for sale locally and the difference is unbelievable. They are ancient tube powered electromechanical wonders that often require some TLC, but there are tons of resources on the web to help you, and it's a rewarding endevour to preserve a piece of history. Abd, they sound wonderful.

The Hammond spinets to look for are M3, M1xx and L1xx, in order of preference. Of course if you have a bigger budget you get a console, but the prices are much higher - especially B3.
12th May 2009
Old 12th May 2009
Gear maniac

I have a Hammond C3 and a Yamaha E70 here. The Yamaha was the top of the line model from 1977 and has some really cool analogue sounds. Plus, it can get pretty close to some aspects of the CS80 (which is the reason I got it). But it ain't no Hammond! It can do a good Vox/Farfisa 'cheese' organ sound though, and has a built-in rotary system. BTW, I got it from the UK for £200.

If you want the Hammond sound, you need a Hammond - and Leslie. Native Instruments B4 will get you a lot closer in a recording than the Yamaha or Lowrey you're looking at.

But you could have good fun with either of them, although I think they're both overpriced. The organ market (apart from Hammonds) has seriously bottomed out, and I think €400 for that Yamaha is cuckoo land... I'd offer €50.

Frank
12th May 2009
Old 12th May 2009
Lives for gear

thanks for the advice guys.

pretty much what i had suspected!
12th May 2009
Old 12th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Funk View Post
I have a Hammond C3 and a Yamaha E70 here. The Yamaha was the top of the line model from 1977 and has some really cool analogue sounds. Plus, it can get pretty close to some aspects of the CS80 (which is the reason I got it). But it ain't no Hammond! It can do a good Vox/Farfisa 'cheese' organ sound though, and has a built-in rotary system. BTW, I got it from the UK for £200.

If you want the Hammond sound, you need a Hammond - and Leslie. Native Instruments B4 will get you a lot closer in a recording than the Yamaha or Lowrey you're looking at.

But you could have good fun with either of them, although I think they're both overpriced. The organ market (apart from Hammonds) has seriously bottomed out, and I think €400 for that Yamaha is cuckoo land... I'd offer €50.

Frank
Yes, we have several of those (or their like) in the shop and we have a difficult time getting rid of them. They should be going for €50 but... (boss...)

Anyhoo, they're cheezy in a cool way IMO, very "analog" sounding and .. old. And heavy. There's a certain CS -quality in them and some very surprisingly good sounds.
www.masterstroke.info | "Broken" - new album out now!
12th May 2009
Old 12th May 2009
Lives for gear

JUNK

Pay me to haul it out of their house
dubrichie
12th May 2009
Old 12th May 2009
Lives for gear

yeah, so we checked it out today.

it's in great shape and works fine, but the tone is pretty damn cheesy. we're doing much better with a hammond soft sim through a nice guitar amp.

some magic smoke came out of it after a few minutes, but it kept working!

if he still has it in a month, which he will, i'll offer to take it off his hands for free, just to have around for a bit of fun.
13th May 2009
Old 13th May 2009
Gear maniac

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search