What is the "500 series" mic pre's
Old 7th May 2009
Gear nut

What is the "500 series" mic pre's

So I can tell I am really "green" on this. I don't understand the pro's and con's at all... or even what the heck the difference IS?

Can anyone explain the 500 series to me?

Do most manufacturers make models of their preamps for this... thing... what ever it is?

HWat are they housed in? How much does it cost?

What are the pros to using this stuff instead of "regular" mic pre's? Cons?

I emailed one of the techs at Great River and asked why there was such a price difference in the 500 series and the ME-1 NV ... it's about 3 to 400 $$$ difference... but the guy said that there was NO difference in the sound or components... just that one had an interior power supply and was a stand alone unit, and the other was a 500 series and was meant to be used with.... well, I don't even recall....

Any help on this stuff....

Cory
Old 7th May 2009
Gear maniac

Great Question .
Old 7th May 2009
Gear maniac

The 500 series refers to a form factor that API used in some of their consoles. At some point they released a product called the lunchbox, that allowed you to mount several (4 I think) of their 500 series modules in a chassis w/ power supply for use untethered from a console. API also released a 10 space chassis/power supply to house up to 10 of the 500 series modules.

Over the last few years, many manufacturers have designed new or redesigned existing products to fit the 500 series form factor. They have released all kinds of modules (preamps, dynamics, etc) and chassis/power supply options.

I hope this helps. There are many on Gearslutz that can give you a much better answer than I, but I figured I'd get you started.

Jim
Old 7th May 2009
rk.
Gear nut

It's a format developed by API. You will need a 'lunchbox' or rack housing to supply the power and mount the 500 series units.

API 500-6B 6 slot Lunchbox with built-in Power Supply

API 500VPR 10 slot Rack with Power Supply

Several other companies make thier own lunchbox/racks too.

If you are particularly looking to buy a Great River then you'll end up spending a little more intially if you go for a Lunchbox + MP-500NV, but you'll start saving with every other pre you buy from there onwards (since you only pay for the PSU once). A regular 6 space lunchbox will house 3 MP-500NV's since it's a double space module. Or you could get 2 channels of GR with 2 EQ's or whatever.

I would say the main benefits are portability (for lunchbox), versatility and value.

edit: Jim beat me to it!
Old 7th May 2009
Gear nut

I just recently bought a lunchbox for the simple reason of price and versatility. I found a new api 6 space from a fellow slut here for a good price. I plan on slowly filling the rack, one piece at a time. I plan on 4 api 512c's one api 550b, and one api 560. I have found several good deals here in the classified section and hope to have it filled in a year. Basically, once you have the rack it will power several different pre's, compressors, eq's, gates, de-esser's and even di's. The great river is cheaper because there is no internal power supply, therefor lowering the cost. The cost of a 4 channel api pre and 2 channel api eq is about $5,100 when the used route I am taking I should be able to get it all for $4,000. Hope this helps a little.
Old 7th May 2009
Gear Guru

I cannot live w/o both formats.

19' rack gear delivers some preamps that 500 does not.
O my, 500 gives a lot of flavors that are not in a 19' rack.

Have you saw a Avalon 2022 in a 500 series ?, wow pretty funny.
However I would love to see some UA gear in 500.
Old 7th May 2009
all this talk of lunchboxes is making me hungry...
Old 7th May 2009
Lives for gear

It's like this - if audio gear is as addictive and wallet-busting as cocaine, then 500 series gear is crack.

Hope that helps.
Old 7th May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Roberts View Post
The 500 series refers to a form factor that API used in some of their consoles. At some point they released a product called the lunchbox, that allowed you to mount several (4 I think) of their 500 series modules in a chassis w/ power supply for use untethered from a console. API also released a 10 space chassis/power supply to house up to 10 of the 500 series modules.

Over the last few years, many manufacturers have designed new or redesigned existing products to fit the 500 series form factor. They have released all kinds of modules (preamps, dynamics, etc) and chassis/power supply options.

I hope this helps. There are many on Gearslutz that can give you a much better answer than I, but I figured I'd get you started.

Jim
Old 7th May 2009
Lives for gear

FWIW I think Mercenary (and maybe others?) does a deal where any 500-series unit you buy from them gets a $50 rebate if you bought the PSU from them too? So a 6-space unit pays for itself when you fill it up ($300 in, $50x6... )

Maybe one of them can chime in w/ the exact policy...

I'm saving up for some 500-series stuff right now, b/c yeah I think over time you can save big bucks and its easier to swap units out as you outgrow them or look for the elusive perfect piece... From what I've been able to tell so far (haven't actually HEARD any of them yet ), I'll probably be picking up a Great River MV whatever it is, API 5xx EQ and Pre (not sure which ones... I think the 550b was the one I was leaning towards - again, never heard em...), and maybe the purple compressor? Some of the tube preamps looked cool, too... Sometime in the year 3000 I'll be able to afford all this haha....
Old 7th May 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojo67 View Post
So I can tell I am really "green" on this. I don't understand the pro's and con's at all... or even what the heck the difference IS?

Can anyone explain the 500 series to me?

Do most manufacturers make models of their preamps for this... thing... what ever it is?

HWat are they housed in? How much does it cost?

What are the pros to using this stuff instead of "regular" mic pre's? Cons?

I emailed one of the techs at Great River and asked why there was such a price difference in the 500 series and the ME-1 NV ... it's about 3 to 400 $$$ difference... but the guy said that there was NO difference in the sound or components... just that one had an interior power supply and was a stand alone unit, and the other was a 500 series and was meant to be used with.... well, I don't even recall....

Any help on this stuff....

Cory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Roberts View Post

Jim
s Tony put it!

although i thought B&B did the first lunchbox?
i am still researching so input is welcome and wanted..
P.M. me or email me.
Old 7th May 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
FWIW I think Mercenary does a deal where any 500-series unit you buy from them gets a $50 rebate if you bought the PSU from them too? So a 6-space unit pays for itself when you fill it up ($300 in, $50x6... )

Maybe one of them can chime in w/ the exact policy...
You've got it! We subtract -50$ for each module you put in a 6 space Lunchbox [-300$ discount is possible when you fill the frame at the time of the sale] and any of the 10 Space Racks we also carry, IE Purple Sweet Ten, API 500VPR with External PSU, [-500$ discount is possible when you fill the frame at the time of the sale] Also, Empirical Labs has just released a Two Space Rack [with built in DI and internal PSU] which will provide a solid option for single space 500 modules. We're also discounting -50$ per module [-100$] from with the purchase of this 2-space frame as well.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search