Login / Register

Allen & Heath Zed GSR24
Closed
Subscribe
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Gear interested

ive been using the desk for a few weeks now, everything works great.

Had some issues using the FW interface allong with othe FW devices but i used seperate pci-e fw cards and everything worked just fine.

What i dont like , is the converters of the digital interface.

Im not saying they are crappy, not at all. They are a bit "hard sounding" for my tastes. I did some listening and recording tests with alongside with Paris , RME and Euphonix converters.

They seem to lack some roundess in the low end. Also there are a lot of high frequencies - some might like that though.

On the analogue side , the EQs are really nice and the preamps are high quality. --they worked really really great with ribbon mics!

As far as functionality its very well designed and gives a lot of options when using an external A/D D/A.

I havent had a lot of time to play around with the valve channels -Though it would be nice if they had an on/off switch. I just dont want to see those lamps switched for hours and hours.

Had no trouble with the jog on nuendo. the transport control is nicely responsive. Its not an awesome controller but you wont buy this desk for that!!
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtronik View Post
ive been using the desk for a few weeks now, everything works great.

Had some issues using the FW interface allong with othe FW devices but i used seperate pci-e fw cards and everything worked just fine.

What i dont like , is the converters of the digital interface.

Im not saying they are crappy, not at all. They are a bit "hard sounding" for my tastes. I did some listening and recording tests with alongside with Paris , RME and Euphonix converters.

They seem to lack some roundess in the low end. Also there are a lot of high frequencies - some might like that though.

On the analogue side , the EQs are really nice and the preamps are high quality. --they worked really really great with ribbon mics!

As far as functionality its very well designed and gives a lot of options when using an external A/D D/A.

I havent had a lot of time to play around with the valve channels -Though it would be nice if they had an on/off switch. I just dont want to see those lamps switched for hours and hours.

Had no trouble with the jog on nuendo. the transport control is nicely responsive. Its not an awesome controller but you wont buy this desk for that!!
How is the imaging? How wide are the mixes?
Did you try to clock the int. converters with EUPHONIX?
Do the converters sound worse than Paris' ones?

Does the mixer produce a lot of heat? Did you try to swap the tube in
Valve channels for some NOS Mullard or similar?

Thank you for your answer...
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeljko View Post
How is the imaging? How wide are the mixes?
Did you try to clock the int. converters with EUPHONIX?
Do the converters sound worse than Paris' ones?

Does the mixer produce a lot of heat? Did you try to swap the tube in
Valve channels for some NOS Mullard or similar?

Thank you for your answer...
i didnt try to clock them, its very tricky , because the euphonix converters are in a different room (with the S5F)

Yes the converters were not as good as PARIS. Also the Euphonix converters were SLIGHTLY worse than PARIS.

The imaging can be a bit blury whith "busy mixes" .
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks for the answer.

And how is the summing, I hope not worse than with a dedicated unit like SHills Equinox, or Inward Conn. Mix 690?
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Thanks for the answer.

And how is the summing, I hope not worse than with a dedicated unit like SHills Equinox, or Inward Conn. Mix 690?

I havent had any experience with summing mixers. I spent a few hours remixing an older project . I routed some tracks in the desk , did some quick EQ and everything sounded much more alive , just by that.
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Gear interested

forgot to mention.

Today we did some tests . We recorded some piano (yamaha c3) with neumanns km 184. 2 were going into an Oram octasonic and 2 were going to the desks preamps. (all with Paris A/D)

The desks' preamps were very good with nice low end. Will do more tests tommorow with some guitars as well.
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear addict

can someone press their talkback button and tell me if the monitors dim?

doesn't on mine...
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephi82 View Post
Wow,

I have been reading pages and pages in this thread, starting about mid point when the product actually started to be shipped.

My observation is that this thread has been pretty much dominated by one poster who seems to have had HUGE and continuous technical problems with everything touched by the GSR. My take away is that Pro Tools 9 was not playing well with the GSR, but a new driver fixed it. No more, no less.
He's probably trying to get it going without the proper software (Bome's MIDI translator).

I can sympathise with him, as I believe that no product should have to be 'set up' - unfortunately, the digital DAW scene is so immature and still finding its feet, that we all have to jump through these stupid hoops. A&H are developing their own HUI interface and this should be out very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephi82 View Post

1) this will be my first experience with DAW based recording,
2) my experience level with computers is as a business and home apps user (email, Internet, spreadsheets, Power points etc)
3) I have dowloaded and updated drivers and configued applications on my computers, but I wouldnt describe these skills as skills! I get by.

a. - Am I biting off more than I can chew here in terms of technical skills with the DAW and configurations?
b. - will a DAW and the GSR deliver to my expectations?
c. - any alternatives to suggest?
1) In that case, try Reaper. It works straight out of the box (there is no 'setting up' it just plays!) and works well with the GS-R24. If you don't like Reaper, try ProTools or Studio One (V2).

2) You'll do fine! I can work Reaper, PT, large desks and all kinds of audio and video SW, including InDesign, Premier, Illustrator and other media stuff, but Microsoft rubbish like Word and Excel leaves me totally baffled!

3) You'll get by!

a. If in doubt, either get the retailer to set it up for you, or wait until A&H have developed their own SW interface. I personally would get the moving faders version, but wait for the MADI card to come out.

b. No idea! Read my review of the desk ( http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newb...ia_201202/#/42 ) and the review by Hugh at SOS.

c. Yes, there's the AWS 924 for ten times the price and then there are the various Euphonix offerings at similar price points and above.

AudioMedia - February 2012
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear nut

Great review!
it's actually weird that's only the second one, so far, for a desk a lot of people are talking about.
I'm waiting for the madi interface (or thunderbolt) since, for me, the firewire option is kinda outdated and, as you said, the audio interface is somehow useless in this modern world as well.
Sonicly, where do you put the desk?
let say to the soundtracs pc midi,solitaire and Jade, atb 24, DDA and upper level consoles, like Trident series?

Also, about the converters, where coud they stand?

Thanx
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Crooks Hall Studio

My experience

Just thought I'd come in and tell you about my experience with the console. I bought the GSR-24M a few months ago but I got it out to play with a couple of days ago for the first time. My studio build is nearing completion so I wanted to sort any bugs out early.

Had a few issues with making MIDI control work on Cubase 6 but everything is now sorted. I contacted Allen & Heath Support and they gave me a file with all the mapping for MIDI and audio loaded into a project file and the updated 'Issue 3' setup guide. If anyone is having problems in Cubase this should solve everything. I don't know when they are putting it live on their site but it should be pretty soon. Not sure if there are any updates for other DAWs.

I saw a lot of people are having trouble with the jog wheel. So did I but the solution (at least for Cubase) is in here ALLEN & HEATH // WORLD CLASS MIXING

I appreciate most people seem to use Logic though so I can't help on that much.

Oh one more thing, I got the same custom Argosy desk that another user has in this thread (can't remember who). It's fantastic!

John
Crooks Hall Studio
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram75 View Post
Great review!
it's actually weird that's only the second one, so far, for a desk a lot of people are talking about.
I'm waiting for the madi interface (or thunderbolt) since, for me, the firewire option is kinda outdated and, as you said, the audio interface is somehow useless in this modern world as well.
Sonicly, where do you put the desk?
let say to the soundtracs pc midi,solitaire and Jade, atb 24 and upper level consoles, like Trident series?

Also, about the converters, where coud they stand?
I too was surprised that other mags have not reviewed this desk. I think the very low price makes them think that somehow it is not to be taken seriously!

Sonically, it is a modern desk and cannot be compared with a Soundtracs, Tridents, or any other desks of that period. It would not be fair to the older desks, as they were built, using inferior components and had to use higher currents to get good results for THD and noise. You are talking about desks that were designed 20 or more years ago!

The mic pres are clean and precise and the EQ and bussing are just immaculate. The result is a very clean and 'hi-fi' sound.

Converters - well, they sound clean. It has become difficult to make bad converters nowadays, so they sound pretty much on par with something like a later model Alpha-Link.
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear nut

Send a message via Skype™ to TrackLab
Well if the midi control part of the unit configurations are correct; after some reading in configuration manual[s] are:

Logic: emulate Tascam US2400 in mode 7

- faders will be mapped to 24 tracks in logic
- solo/select buttons will be assigned to track solos
- transport buttons assigned to relative controls
- left & right cursor buttons below transport will be programmed as bank switchers and become functional only when more than 24 tracks are used in logic
- no mention of jog wheel functionality

ProTools: midi mode 6 [must purchase bome midi translator]
- faders mapped to 24 tracks in protools
- solo select buttons assigned to track solos
- MIDI pots 1-12 assigned to track pans 1-12 [13-14 while pressing shift button]
- transport buttons assigned to the transport control
- no jog wheel mention!
- no banking either!
- you have to spend more money on a midi translator

the jogwheel:it seems a work around has been done for cubase users, but logic & protools users have been left in the dark in terms of the jog wheel working.

protools users also are left in the dark with banking too which really kind of sucks!

i understand its a great unit, sounds great, A/D D/A converters are great, EQ are amazing, there is clarity in recording etc all these arguments are noted and accepted but i still see it as a consumer, lacking on support for various widely used daws people are working with daily.

i expect like every consumer would who forks out money for this unit that every damn button, knob and wheel to be in full working order. no half working in one daw missing something in another, seriously that is just crap..! [i been feeling i should have just stayed itb with more money in the pocket and less headache - close to selling it & i haven't even used it yet]

i dont accept comments like this unit isn't purchased for its daw control, because its a feature that is apparently implemented & advertised! plus being a hybrid unit it should bloody well be working as advertised - for the money! different people work in different ways, and i am sure for many users whether you are otb or itb or diving into a bit of both in the hybrid world is actually a convenience and experience to have the ability for full functionality of the desk no matter what daw you choose to use.

A&H - address the issues so that the experience in every daw is the same for everyone! i don't think i am being unreasonable about it at all, id like to enjoy the same experience as those with cubase, and those using cubase would like to have the same experience with those with logic and pt etc etc

seriously.

Recording - Editing - Mixing
Online Mixing Service Available World-wide!!
Please visit us at:
www.tracklabstudios.com
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackLab View Post
Well if the midi control part of the unit configurations are correct; after some reading in configuration manual[s] are:

Logic: emulate Tascam US2400 in mode 7

- faders will be mapped to 24 tracks in logic
- solo/select buttons will be assigned to track solos
- transport buttons assigned to relative controls
- left & right cursor buttons below transport will be programmed as bank switchers and become functional only when more than 24 tracks are used in logic
- no mention of jog wheel functionality

ProTools: midi mode 6 [must purchase bome midi translator]
- faders mapped to 24 tracks in protools
- solo select buttons assigned to track solos
- MIDI pots 1-12 assigned to track pans 1-12 [13-14 while pressing shift button]
- transport buttons assigned to the transport control
- no jog wheel mention!
- no banking either!
- you have to spend more money on a midi translator

the jogwheel:it seems a work around has been done for cubase users, but logic & protools users have been left in the dark in terms of the jog wheel working.

protools users also are left in the dark with banking too which really kind of sucks!

i understand its a great unit, sounds great, A/D D/A converters are great, EQ are amazing, there is clarity in recording etc all these arguments are noted and accepted but i still see it as a consumer, lacking on support for various widely used daws people are working with daily.

i expect like every consumer would who forks out money for this unit that every damn button, knob and wheel to be in full working order. no half working in one daw missing something in another, seriously that is just crap..! [i been feeling i should have just stayed itb with more money in the pocket and less headache - close to selling it & i haven't even used it yet]

i dont accept comments like this unit isn't purchased for its daw control, because its a feature that is apparently implemented & advertised! plus being a hybrid unit it should bloody well be working as advertised - for the money! different people work in different ways, and i am sure for many users whether you are otb or itb or diving into a bit of both in the hybrid world is actually a convenience and experience to have the ability for full functionality of the desk no matter what daw you choose to use.

A&H - address the issues so that the experience in every daw is the same for everyone! i don't think i am being unreasonable about it at all, id like to enjoy the same experience as those with cubase, and those using cubase would like to have the same experience with those with logic and pt etc etc

seriously.
Hi there Tracklab,

I've been reading this thread for some time, and with increasing excitement, as my GSR24M is en route this very minute. As a Logic user, I anticipate very little in the way of difficulty with the controller functionality, but I totally understand the frustration felt by many here with the problems they have encountered. On the other hand, I would say this:

This is a new product, the first in its line. It is an immensely complicated piece of kit and depends on interfacing with technologies, both hardware and software that are produced by an endless array of other companies, who have each implemented these technologies in ways that suit their own design principles. There are common protocols and standards, but we all know how closely those are followed! Probably, the reason why this is board is a singular and unique achievement at its price point (and beyond its price point) is that this is extraordinarily hard to do something like this! You have been more than patient with Allen & Heath, but they have, from what I can tell, been nothing short of fantastic with doing their best to address the concerns of their customers.

I, for one, look forward to hearing what you mix on this board when your space is ready. You and Yulogy have done the rest of us a huge service by helping to bring this issues to light and by "thinking out loud", so to speak on so many matters that relate to its use and abuse. For that I thank you!

What are the chances you could post a picture or two of your space-in-progress? I'd love to see how it is all coming together.

Cheers,
Andy
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shudderingnoise View Post
Hi there Tracklab,

I've been reading this thread for some time, and with increasing excitement, as my GSR24M is en route this very minute. As a Logic user, I anticipate very little in the way of difficulty with the controller functionality, but I totally understand the frustration felt by many here with the problems they have encountered. On the other hand, I would say this:

This is a new product, the first in its line. It is an immensely complicated piece of kit and depends on interfacing with technologies, both hardware and software that are produced by an endless array of other companies, who have each implemented these technologies in ways that suit their own design principles. There are common protocols and standards, but we all know how closely those are followed! Probably, the reason why this is board is a singular and unique achievement at its price point (and beyond its price point) is that this is extraordinarily hard to do something like this! You have been more than patient with Allen & Heath, but they have, from what I can tell, been nothing short of fantastic with doing their best to address the concerns of their customers.

I, for one, look forward to hearing what you mix on this board when your space is ready. You and Yulogy have done the rest of us a huge service by helping to bring this issues to light and by "thinking out loud", so to speak on so many matters that relate to its use and abuse. For that I thank you!

What are the chances you could post a picture or two of your space-in-progress? I'd love to see how it is all coming together.

Cheers,
Andy
Hey Andy,

thanks for your response man.. its appreciated!

i guess my frustrations stem from the fact my decision to go down this avenue with the unit was to step up my studio while also having control in the daw [ie all functions working]; and i can understand how life is a little easier with daw control to be working when mixing/editing.

I don't want to use the desk with a Presonus fader port to bank and Avid transport to jog its bloody ridiculous! especially when you have spent a lot of money for the product and more money to set it up with cabling, patchbays etc.

I do believe i have a valid point.. but it seems for those using protools; a presonus fader port and a avid transport is the answer for a 'companion' with this unit.

So on that note this is the response i received today from A&H, i still wish they could give a ETA though:

Thanks for your email.

At present using Bomes midi translator with Pro Tools you do not have functionality of the jog wheel and the option to switch fader banks using the our templates.

However, A&H has received huge demand to integrate HUI natively in to the GS-R24 and this is something we are currently working on, i'm afraid I cannot give you a timeframe when this feature will be available.

Kind regards
Mike
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Hi there Tracklab,

Cheers,
Andy
I have not been religiously taking photos of the progress; but no problem ill gladly arrange some images i have to be posted and let you know.
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Hi there Tracklab,

Cheers,
Andy
here is a link for you andy, or anyone else.

TrackLab
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
He's probably trying to get it going without the proper software (Bome's MIDI translator).

I can sympathise with him, as I believe that no product should have to be 'set up' - unfortunately, the digital DAW scene is so immature and still finding its feet, that we all have to jump through these stupid hoops. A&H are developing their own HUI interface and this should be out very soon.

1) In that case, try Reaper. It works straight out of the box (there is no 'setting up' it just plays!) and works well with the GS-R24. If you don't like Reaper, try ProTools or Studio One (V2).

2) You'll do fine! I can work Reaper, PT, large desks and all kinds of audio and video SW, including InDesign, Premier, Illustrator and other media stuff, but Microsoft rubbish like Word and Excel leaves me totally baffled!

3) You'll get by!

a. If in doubt, either get the retailer to set it up for you, or wait until A&H have developed their own SW interface. I personally would get the moving faders version, but wait for the MADI card to come out.

b. No idea! Read my review of the desk ( AudioMedia - February 2012 ) and the review by Hugh at SOS.

c. Yes, there's the AWS 924 for ten times the price and then there are the various Euphonix offerings at similar price points and above.

AudioMedia - February 2012
Thank you very much for your detailed and thoughtful reply!
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear maniac

Are the converters in GS 24 better or worse than the ones in vintage Avid 192 blue?
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear maniac

Noone?
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Noone?
sorry man, i don't own/or know of anyone that owns a avid 192 blue to compare it too..

GS does seem like its slowed down lately.. hmm...
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear nut

Send a message via Skype™ to GIM Productions
Hi all,this thread is awesome!
I'm evaluating to buy this beast to upgrade my studio and i'm a very happy Sonar X1 Pro user.
Can you give me some feedback?

Best.

Roby
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to scoob Send a message via Yahoo to scoob
I along with GIM would like input from sonar users or at least someone willing to try out the sonar demo with it.
The GSR24M is my next goal comming from my current 24channel summing setup.

"Whether you say you can, or you can't. You're right." - cant' remember.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by YULOGY View Post
NEED HELP!!
Anyone using the GSR24 with Pro Tools?? Mine is just consistantly crashing, its been totally unusable at this point and ive had to set up my old crappy interface again and now just passing L-R audio through the GSR24.
The session ive been trying to run works fine on my old interface, a 002, but is just useless with the GSR24. Im sure its just a software thing and may be to do with the driver as Mike said, but i was planning to use it on this mornings mix session and its just not possible....
So if anyones succesfully running it with PT9 please explain how, settings, drivers etc.
Be much appreciated!
My opinion is Pro Tools - just a past century workout. This DAW has so much troubles, limitations etc.. Pro Tools has sense only if u use HD version. Other way, and I think better and flexible is to use the other DAW. Plenty of DAWs stepped much more forward than Pro Tools in work with sound. They can't even make x64 in 10 version of Pro Tools. PT is morally dying. Just marketing and old engeneers hold its breath.

And it looks very funny, the advertising of PT10 at the bottom of this page)))) Good Bye PT.)

_
Fhl
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Fhl
Lives for gear

Sorry to chime in like this, but I was reading about the console and I came to realize (again) that using an analog mixer would ruin my workflow.

So my two questions are:

1. How do you limit yourself to say 24 channels. What does the GSR24 do if you have a 25 channel project? (Refering to motorized faders)

2. What about recall? The EQ on the GSR24 is analog.

Cheers

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhl View Post
Sorry to chime in like this, but I was reading about the console and I came to realize (again) that using an analog mixer would ruin my workflow.

So my two questions are:

1. How do you limit yourself to say 24 channels. What does the GSR24 do if you have a 25 channel project? (Refering to motorized faders)

2. What about recall? The EQ on the GSR24 is analog.

Cheers
a) I think there lots of sounds in your project that do not sound simultaneously. And not on every channel you are using the EQ of a console (at summing amps there are no any EQs), so you route the tracks to channels where sounds do not appear at the same time. With EQ bypassed. (or you can pre-record EQed tracks). Bingo ;-)

b) If you really have a huge project you can mixdown twice. Mixdown first part of tracks then mix with the rest.

c) You can compromise beetwen digital/analog mixing with routing several (2-3) tracks to 1 (or 2 for stereo) channel. Not only this console. Especially if you have DSP mixer at your interface. I do this way sometimes. Mix some tracks through DSP, then put that little mix to analog channels.

Even with these compomises your sonic dimension will be a lot wider, deeper and more natural than a digital mixdown.

d) Recall is a photo of your set up). (It's just about a habit to work this way)
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear interested

I'm also seriously looking at this mixer as a step up from my current set-up using a Yamaha O1V-96 (with sometimes an older O1V used for more input channels when necessary) but ideally I'd like to maintain something like my current workflow, or possibly come up with something better.

My main question centers around this: When recording a sizable ensemble, I often use all 16 analog inputs (and sometimes another 8 from the old O1V), and route them all direct to the computer, currently through a Presonus Lightbridge lightpipe to firewire interface. I then route 16 outputs from the computer back into channels 17 - 32 of the O1V-96, configured in 8 stereo pairs (panned L & R etc) in the mixer. The computer track outputs (from however many tracks) are sent to the 8 stereo pairs in some sort of logical scheme - often something like the 1st pair drums, 2nd pair bass, 3rd pair rhythm guitars, 4th ld vocals, 5th organ, strings, steel, violin etc, 6th ld guitars, 7th piano and other keys, 8th background vocs. This allows me to create multiple headphone mixes where I can choose what goes to each mix from both the input channels (with no latency) and also the previously recorded tracks when doing overdubs. I send 8 different aux sends out via lightpipe to the headphone amps (using an old ADAT to change from lightpipe to analog) and thus can usually keep everybody happy.

Can I do something similar with the GS-R24? I've looked at the manual and I think I can but I'm not sure. I think the question centers around whether the mixer channels can simultaneously handle the analog input and a return from the computer in some sort of "split" manner or configuration, sending the signal to the computer after the mic pre and then using the rest of the mixer channel to deal with the return from the computer. It seems with the various routing/configuration switches this is doable - is that the case? This means basically using the mixer as a summing mixer at the same time as tracking through the preamps, if that makes sense. I'd greatly appreciate anyone's comments on this - thanks to all -
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear interested

Of course - for the headphone mixes that would mean I'd have to be able to access aux sends from both the inputs and the returns, on the same channel - so I think I may have answered my own question - not it would not be possible to maintain the same workflow. However - there may be a better one or at least another one. Thanks for any thoughts -
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Crooks Hall Studio

I think this answers your question but I'm not sure:

When you set up a track in your DAW you set the input and output of track 1 to be mono in and out 1 (for example). In this setup, with no routing buttons pushed, the input to the desk will be the mic input and the DAW will record this. If you press the B button on that track then the input to that channel will then be the recorded signal from the DAW on that track. Since this is sent in pre Aux, the headphone monitoring through the aux channels can be switched to monitor the live signal or the recorded signal on a track by track basis. There are lots more routing options too but I think this is what you're referring to.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear interested

Thanks Psythe - but basically, I was hoping to be able to configure it to send both the input signal and the returns from the computer to the aux sends, like they were two completely different channels, which seems and I'm sure is impossible. I'm just trying to figure out a way that this mixer will work for me changing from my O1V-96 with 32 different and separate channels, which I normally have configured as 16 inputs and 16 returns, sometimes augmented by my other O1V for more inputs. I guess I can create playback headphone mixes in the DAW and send them out to a few mono tracks, or just have everyone live with the same playback mix in tracking sessions. Currently I'm able to customize both the input headphone mixes and the playback headphone mixes for all the different players in the session, and I'm looking for a way to not lose that.

But I do want this mixer!
Fhl
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Fhl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarthop View Post
a) I think there lots of sounds in your project that do not sound simultaneously. And not on every channel you are using the EQ of a console (at summing amps there are no any EQs), so you route the tracks to channels where sounds do not appear at the same time. With EQ bypassed. (or you can pre-record EQed tracks). Bingo ;-)

b) If you really have a huge project you can mixdown twice. Mixdown first part of tracks then mix with the rest.

c) You can compromise beetwen digital/analog mixing with routing several (2-3) tracks to 1 (or 2 for stereo) channel. Not only this console. Especially if you have DSP mixer at your interface. I do this way sometimes. Mix some tracks through DSP, then put that little mix to analog channels.

Even with these compomises your sonic dimension will be a lot wider, deeper and more natural than a digital mixdown.

d) Recall is a photo of your set up). (It's just about a habit to work this way)
Thanks. Very informative I reckon workflow is one of the most important factors here.
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search