Audio Interface that is JUST ADAT in?
Old 29th July 2005
Gear interested

Audio Interface that is JUST ADAT in?

I'm looking for an audio interface that is only ADAT in maybe w/ word clock. I need this interface to be usb or firewire and very simple. I decided that I would like to sell my Motu 828 MKII, and spend the money toward a really nice A/D converter that I can just take ADAT (8ch) outputs into the computer with a simple lightpipe in. THis is a PC laptop computer btw. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
-aaron
Old 29th July 2005
Gear addict

clarification pls

just to confirm, are you looking for an interface to get the ADAT lightpipe into your laptop only? are you also looking for an A/D? i'm a little confused as to why you want to use lightpipe instead of buying an A/D converter with a Firewire or USB output, skipping the extra digital conversion. Please elaborate. -c

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweatherfrie
I'm looking for an audio interface that is only ADAT in maybe w/ word clock. I need this interface to be usb or firewire and very simple. I decided that I would like to sell my Motu 828 MKII, and spend the money toward a really nice A/D converter that I can just take ADAT (8ch) outputs into the computer with a simple lightpipe in. THis is a PC laptop computer btw. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
-aaron
Old 29th July 2005
Gear interested

Thanks for the response.

I currently have a Motu 828MKII audio interface. The converters sound pretty decent. I was thinking of selling it and replacing it with a simple interface that only receives lightpipe in. The reason for this is that I want to get a high end 8 channel stand-alone converter like a mytek. From what I understand, these converters usually output 8 channels in the lightpipe format.

This is why I only need adat in on the interface. Thanks!
Old 29th July 2005
Gear addict

gotcha

ok, in that case it looks like RME may be the only option.

Digiface
Multiface

both of these are a wee bit overkill for your application, but they definitely conform to your criteria. both would require you purchase the CardBus interface. seems like someone would make a super simple ADAT (maybe with 2ch SPDIF or AES) I/O to PCMCIA card.

there is this thing too, though i tend to question the use of USB for multichannel audio:
GigaPort DG

good luck and let us know what you find.
-c
Old 29th July 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlienyc
there is this thing too, though i tend to question the use of USB for multichannel audio:
GigaPort DG
-c
oh forget that thing - upon further reading, it only supports the original ADAT spec (16bit) and only one way! back to the drawing board, eh?
Old 29th July 2005
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlienyc
oh forget that thing - upon further reading, it only supports the original ADAT spec (16bit) and only one way! back to the drawing board, eh?
yeah. :( Thanks so much for your help so far. There's GOT to be a company that makes an interface like this! I'll find it and let you know if i find anything.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search