Login / Register

Damn, the "Empyrean" Frusciante record is good!
New Reply
Subscribe
Inca
22nd April 2009
Old 22nd April 2009
Gear addict

Damn, the "Empyrean" Frusciante record is good!

Seriously, with all of the crap out there, this record kicks ass! The more I listen to it, the more it grows on me. It just has that vibe that makes you go, "nice!". Very tasty playing and such a good use of non-playing or the use of space. I really like the effects and how they are done too.

You should check it out. Oh, and there is an interview with John about the record in the British Guitarist mag. He really says some stuff I couldn't agree with more.

Rock on John. If you keep writing stuff like this, you won't need the Chilis. ha
rk.
22nd April 2009
Old 22nd April 2009
rk.
Gear nut

Yeah i'm really liking this record too, some of the effects are just beautifully done (flutter echo in Song to the Siren!). I think God is probably my favourite track at the moment, can't get enough of that one for some reason - there's just something about it.
22nd April 2009
Old 22nd April 2009
Lives for gear

22nd April 2009
Old 22nd April 2009
Banned

Not much musical content there.
A few interesting sounds.

I don't think those songs are bothering too many people in the Chili Pepper's camp.
Not much competition.

It reminds me of vanity records that people would occasionally come to my studio and record except Mr. Fruscuiante has a WAY bigger budget.

Kinda' meandering stuff.
22nd April 2009
Old 22nd April 2009
Gear maniac

thumbsup +1
There was a already post a few months ago about the album when it came out.
Nice interview in Tape Op too.

F.
22nd April 2009
Old 22nd April 2009
Lives for gear

[quote=dbbubba;4119606]Not much musical content there.

??

speechless.......
22nd April 2009
Old 22nd April 2009
Gear addict

I have to say I'm not enjoying it as much as his previous work, especially his 6 albums in 6 months, now that was really good. I haven't listened to the Empyrean more than about 4 times but it certainly diddn't capture me like all his other records did (Own them all, was a huge fan for a year or so)
22nd April 2009
Old 22nd April 2009
Banned

[QUOTE=steelyfan;4119740]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
Not much musical content there.

??

speechless.......
What-ever floats your boat, but it is pretty devoid of any melodic themes that caught my ear.
It was pretty much piano meanderings and a few rock GTR, bass and drum sections.
Interesting sounds, but the material being treated isn't very satisfying.

I am open to any new music and I have been a huge fan of progressive music since the mid '70s.
I probably have the largest library of 20th century orchestral music of anyone I know as well as at least 75% of the music pf Zappa and other progressive musicians.

To be honest, I hold the bar pretty high for musicians.
I just don't think that John Frusciante offers up much that puts him in the great players category.
A short, sloppy, impromptu performance of Zappa's "Rollo Interior" as a show-off GTR solo at a Chili Pepper's concert doesn't allow admittance into great guitar player staus land.
22nd April 2009
Old 22nd April 2009
Lives for gear

I bought this based on the previous thread and quite frankly it has some great production and a few interesting ideas, but it is not something I can stand to listen to more than a few times, like a few other folks it is really devoid of any actual good songwriting.

Just my opinion.

XJ

"The gear doesn't really care what kind of music you pump through it, be it rap or classical " thethrillfactor

"Maybe it doesn't sound much like the original, but given that only 0.00000000000000137% of the population would know and only 0.00000041% of those would care, I'm not too worried about it." Dean Roddey
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search