final touches on a mix
New Reply
Subscribe
Unknown soldier
20th April 2009
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

final touches on a mix

So I've got a mix that I like overall, but compared to commercial releases it's just a bit flat/unexciting. Like it needs a bit of distortion to "excite it up".

Using mytek converters, PTLE, dangerous dbox for summing. Again, the tracks are good, mix is good, but just missing that last little something.

A compressor or EQ on the 2bus? A certain plug in? Ahpex exciter? (nah)
20th April 2009
Old 20th April 2009
Gear addict

PSP Vintage Warmer can be just the ticket. However, be warned you must be very careful not to overdo it!
20th April 2009
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

Don't compress it too tight and send it to somewhere to be professionally mastered.

You'll be surprised.
20th April 2009
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empora View Post
PSP Vintage Warmer can be just the ticket. However, be warned you must be very careful not to overdo it!
actually I do have the vintage warmer. Like you said it's a pronounced effect and easy to overdue it. You got some good settings for it? I've used it on the mix and it does seem a bit heavy handed. Maybe operator error?
20th April 2009
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

Start with the "lite driven tape" preset, then back it off until it sounds musical again. That should get you started.
20th April 2009
Old 20th April 2009
Gear addict

Okay, and I'm no expert you understand!! And this is off the top of my small head

Now this is only right for some, not all mixes.

I like to start at the factory default. With the mix setting on 100% I tend to dial in some of the character I am after in a pretty over the top way to get things going.

I might have the drive at about +2 if needed (again depends on the material).

It is the knee adjustment I find that can really add some punch to a mix, especially drums, you only need to nudge the dial to like 5, 10 max.

I think the eq settings are too dependent on specific requirements of a mix to recommend any settings and I think we are talking more "excitement" than eq.

When I find that in an "over the top" way I am getting some good "mojo" I will back the mix knob completely off, then slowly turn it up and find the sweet spot before the point of it doing too much, subtle stuff!!

Also this can be good starting with some of the presets and backing things off etc. Don"t forget the other settings on the back (click on the PSP logo) adjusting the attack release times, saturation etc can get some great sounds! Worth a tweak me thinks....

Hope that helps
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search