Any opinion on Apogee Trak2?
New Reply
Subscribe
h4nc0
17th April 2003
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Any opinion on Apogee Trak2?

How is its pre? Will the converters be alot better than RME ADI8-DS? Will it improve A/D on the RME with its Apogee clock being master? I've heard it has fans and they can be pretty annoying, is it that bad? (I prefer monitoring at lower volume)

Thanks
17th April 2003
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

I've had one for a few months. It has served as my master clock and digital router. On the plus side, I think it sounds great, very happy with the pres and A/D. It also has some fairly cool features buried inside. I don't think the fans are that noisy, but this thing runs HOT.

On the negative side, once you load it with 8DA and ADAT i/o, you've spent some serious cash relative to what's on the market. Luckily I bought mine second hand very inexpensively. But I bought and installed the upgrades myself.

The interface and workflow are atrocious. I fired up my old iMac and hooked it up to the Trak2 just to get better access to the command interface. Documentation is minimal, with almost no knowledge base on-line regarding any of the complex functions. I was actually thinking of writing up a web page with my findings since I plowed through it all myself.

I haven't used the Soft Saturate feature much, not sure I like the way it sounds. I have used Soft Limit on occasion while tracking drums. In short, IMO the Trak2 is a competent unit at an overblown price.
17th April 2003
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by heinz

The interface and workflow are atrocious. I fired up my old iMac and hooked it up to the Trak2 just to get better access to the command interface. Documentation is minimal, with almost no knowledge base on-line regarding any of the complex functions. I was actually thinking of writing up a web page with my findings since I plowed through it all myself.

I haven't used the Soft Saturate feature much, not sure I like the way it sounds. I have used Soft Limit on occasion while tracking drums. In short, IMO the Trak2 is a competent unit at an overblown price.
Heinz,

Please do post up your findings. I'd really appreciate it, sure others would too.

Relatively speaking for what you get I don't think it is an overblown price,
I got the digi ambus card so i could sell my adat bridge and connect direct to my PT mix system...
17th April 2003
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Renie, when I get this project finished I'll write up a Trak2 doc and post a link. I often feel using it is more like an adventure game than a lesson in clean design. Fun but sometimes curiously maddening.

I suppose in retrospect I exaggerated... at a $4500 street price loaded up, it is comparable to other high-end systems with 2AD/8DA/io/clock setup. I guess it comes down to how you compare the quality of the features to their counterparts on the market.
17th April 2003
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by heinz
Renie, when I get this project finished I'll write up a Trak2 doc and post a link. I often feel using it is more like an adventure game than a lesson in clean design. Fun but sometimes curiously maddening.

I suppose in retrospect I exaggerated... at a $4500 street price loaded up, it is comparable to other high-end systems with 2AD/8DA/io/clock setup. I guess it comes down to how you compare the quality of the features to their counterparts on the market.
You're an angel!!! That could save me going boss eyed....

18th April 2003
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

da balls

I find that in addition to sounding great, for some reason, I find the interface very intuitive. My work flow has improved. Plus, with presets, I can store settings for my DPAs, various synths and all kinds of mics for particular applications.
The sonic possibilities are endless and the soft limit is better than my 8000SEs.

Very nice indeed.
19th April 2003
Old 19th April 2003
Gear Head

As an all in one unit you can't beat it. The pre's are top notch as are the converters. Only 2 of each but they are the simply great. I had the RME and the Trak2 and sold the RME. RME is a good unit but the Trak2 is tops.

If you need more than 2 pre's and conveter's T2 is not the right choice. My buddy is this case, went for the AD800SE with 4 great Rivers and 4 Neve pre's. In a word - WOW!!!

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search