Greg Kurstin mixing "the fear"
New Reply
Subscribe
gussyg2007
16th April 2009
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

Greg Kurstin mixing "the fear"

reading in sound on sound this month,came across the feature inside track ,it was about Greg Kurstin and how he mixed Lilly Allen's latest offering and i was very surprised to see that he had mixed the #1 smash "The Fear" almost exclusively on logic 8 stock plugins !!!there is a screen shot of his mix and you can clearly see pretty much everything is logic, apart from recording the vocal in a cottage in blighty with a 1176 and a neve 1073 preamp .No UAD no Waves no urs now don't get wrong i'm not trying to start a "ITB OTB" debate or an harwdware v software but it does make you think about the shape of things to come
16th April 2009
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

I have every confidence that you can produce good commercial music and indeed 'hit' singles and albums using stock plugins in Logic Pro. It is not surprising.

What is surprising is the amount of noise to signal on gearslutz about all our so called high end plugs being indispesnible for such quality work.

The Fear is a very good choon - and well mixed.

~ peace ~
gussyg2007
16th April 2009
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

i should know i've spent untold amounts of ££ on so called "high end plugins" next song i mix i'm gonna try just logic stcok plugins just to see what the results are
16th April 2009
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

Sounding like a broken record, but it's not the tools which makes the workman.

Not really surprised that stock plugins from Logic can do the job!

+1 to above,.. the song is pretty well produced / written.
16th April 2009
Old 16th April 2009
Allons-y

Heck I even like the fear, I like the melody, I like the vocal, I like the guitar, it's a good mix, but most other sounds in the songs like the drums and other synths and thingies are not really to my taste, modern plastic, but because of the vocals the lyrics and the melody... I like it.
16th April 2009
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

It seems to me this is more about careful arrangement and quality takes. People send me tracks to mix that are an arrangement disaster and they wonder why it doesn't sound good until it's sussed out. Greg seems to have a knack for arranging sounds that work well together. Not to mention some really nice changes and melodies.
Mixing is not hard when the tracks make sense.
Which plugin was used is far down the list of importance.
gussyg2007
16th April 2009
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

a fair amount of gs dudes would disagree with you me thinks ,guys always bangin on about the purity of the chain ,mic pre's ,acoustic enviroment etc etc also if you read the artical the vocals were done in a very poor acoustic space and he had to do loads of automation to over come bad reflections
16th April 2009
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

I think it proves its not how good the car is, but how good the driver is.

High end gear (be it hard or soft) doesnt make big hits. Its the people behind the gear

xcx
16th April 2009
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by equallyscrewed View Post
I think it proves its not how good the car is, but how good the driver is.

High end gear (be it hard or soft) doesnt make big hits. Its the people behind the gear

xcx
A lot of the "Emagic" plugins were considered high end back in 2003 and you had to pay like $300 to $500 to add some of them to Logic.

Then Apple added everything into the bundle for free.

If you don't get caught up in the culture of A/B'ing everything that is prevalent here on Gearslutz and declaring that "this is the best and that one sucks", you can easily make great music with everything included in Logic.
17th April 2009
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
A lot of the "Emagic" plugins were considered high end back in 2003 and you had to pay like $300 to $500 to add some of them to Logic.

Then Apple added everything into the bundle for free.

If you don't get caught up in the culture of A/B'ing everything that is prevalent here on Gearslutz and declaring that "this is the best and that one sucks", you can easily make great music with everything included in Logic.
Exactly.
17th April 2009
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
Werd
17th April 2009
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

I never know if I can trust those SOS columns. You see these front-line mixers - with rack upon rack of gear - and half the stuff they list in the mag is the plug-in they used. Doesn't always add up from where I am sitting.
17th April 2009
Old 17th April 2009
Banned

two things...I'm repeating others...but i feel is important...if the tracking is great, you won't need much to mix it...and....logic is great recording platform and has amazingly intuitive designs...you can do a lot with the stock plugs...my favourite plug in tools are the comp, the eq (for subtraction), Tape delay (always using this),the gate...and the enveloper once in a while...verbs not so much... my favourite tool in general...automation
17th April 2009
Old 17th April 2009
Gear nut

Just a quick question.

I'm a really big fan of Greg's work, and generally like this album, but does anyone else find some of the vocal tracks to be overly sibilant? I was listening in my car the other day and in places, a few songs almost took my head off. Just curious.
5th June 2009
Old 5th June 2009
Gear nut

Yes there is some SSSSSSing going on but its nothing horrendous IMO....

BTW he mixed the album with an Apogee Ensemble, Adam A7s, completely ITB in Logic.
5th June 2009
Old 5th June 2009
Lives for gear

I-LOVE-THIS-SONG!!!!!!

I agree with all that has been said. The tools in logic are great, but as always,
it has very little to do with the tools.
5th June 2009
Old 5th June 2009
Gear addict

Greg Kurstin is the man.

His work is pretty damn close to perfection.

You guys need to check out the "Bird and the Bee" album -- particularly the first one though the new one is very good too

Yes you can do great things in Logic -- the plugs are just fine if you know what you're doing.
http://www.stepwisesound.com

"Your Music...Brought to Life"
31st August 2011
Old 31st August 2011
Gear interested

Did you guys hear the Greg Kurstin productions on the Ximena Sariñana and Hard Fi albums? These songs sounds incredibly good.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search