How to record a Drum Machine?
JforJason
3rd April 2009
Old 3rd April 2009
Gear interested

How to record a Drum Machine?

Tips?
Can anyone give me any tips or a walk tru of some good ways to record an older drum machine. I have a Roland R-70, which has midi out, stereo out ect. Any suggestions would be cool or reference to a good site.

3rd April 2009
Old 3rd April 2009

I'm not sure exactly what information you are looking for

plug the output of the drum machine into your DAW input and press record.

Thats it!

or are you asking something else? how to change the sound of it? or to sample single hits? etc

narco
JforJason
3rd April 2009
Old 3rd April 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco View Post
I'm not sure exactly what information you are looking for

plug the output of the drum machine into your DAW input and press record.

Thats it!

or are you asking something else? how to change the sound of it? or to sample single hits? etc

narco

No, just simply, "whats the best way to get a drum pattern on my computer so I can complete a song. So no midi huh? just use the stereo outs?

Should I separate any aspects of the beat (snare, kick) or leave it the same?
3rd April 2009
Old 3rd April 2009
Lives for gear

The whole point of using older drum machines is to capture that crunchy sound. Midi cant help there. You have to plug the output into a DI.

If its a stereo drum machine, and you have a stereo mic pre with 2 DIs, plug it in there and mess around with the gain and output on the mic pre until you get a nice sound. Also, a compressor or EQ can help get the sound there quickly on the way in.

My favorite units for this trick is are:

1) Vintech 473 --> Fatso
2) Langevin DVC

Although going straight into the inputs on your audio interface and using plug ins is an option, it probably wont sound as good as using some hardware upfront first.

3rd April 2009
Old 3rd April 2009
Lives for gear

1. Sync the R70 to your DAW using midiclock and record the midi out of the R70 to get the MIDI into the computer
or
2. RECORD AS AUDIO, Use all FOUR outputs on the back of the R70 to separate out your parts, Kick Snare, HH and maybe your TOMS on the last one. Each pad on the R70 is assignable to which of the four outputs on the back of it.
Or you can just use the main outs and turn down the volume on all the pads except the one your recording at the time while syncing to your computer. Either way works. Depends what your wanting

3. Put a microphone in front of your monitor to record the audio from the drum machine through the speakers to give it a more REAL sound, just like recording a guitar cabinet if you will

4. cdog is on the money there, run that baby through some good pres or DI boxes to make it come to life

ANy questions at all on the R70 just PM me
JforJason
5th April 2009
Old 5th April 2009
Gear interested

< Hey guys I got a pretty good sound out of that thing. I hooked it up to my audio interface, than I synced it to tempo on the song I was working on and it sounds pretty good. I'll try to get a clip up for more input. thanks!
5th April 2009
Old 5th April 2009
500 series nutjob

i have been using the MOOKTRONICS PDI 500: )~
i want another one but one is doing it for me.
Mooktronics Research
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search