New Reply
Subscribe
Dasz
31st March 2009
Old 31st March 2009
Gear Head

Need Some New Gear Advice.

What's up everyone.
This is pretty much my first posting to GS, but I have been following and spending countless hours here. Definitely a very knowledgeable place.

I have a setup right now, separate mix room, and recording room, both acoustically treated well. My gear list is decent, Event Monitors, Eureka Preamp, Tlm 49,103, FW410, etc. I record primarily vocals and guitar, with occasional percussion. I'm looking to take my setup to the next level, and try to really reach that sound, that tight commercial RnB sound, in terms of vocals. I was thinking about a RME FF800, SSL ALPHA Channel or LA610 or 6176, Central Station. Would the converters on the FF suffice, or should I save up and shell out more for an external converter?

Also, any decor ideas would help too! I'm trying to really create a laid back, chill environment, suggestions on lighting and decor will be appreciated as well.
Thanks in advance!
31st March 2009
Old 31st March 2009
Gear Head

anybody?
1st April 2009
Old 1st April 2009
Lives for gear

Convertors will help. The sound stage will be slightly tighter, louder, and more well defined on a high end convertor compared to a prosumer. I own a 6176 and if you want a nice R&B shine this aint it (atleast not stock anyways). I suggest you buy a pre like an aurora or an adl-600. Most importantly, besides which ever equipment you buy, becoming an expert on what you already own is key! You have to be able to utilize the tools you already own. Its about the man working the equipment that will get you the sound you'r after.
Dasz
1st April 2009
Old 1st April 2009
Gear Head

thanks for the reply.
you said you worked with the 6176, what kind of sound are you getting from it?
Would you suggest for me to stick with the converters on the RME for now, or buy an external one?
1st April 2009
Old 1st April 2009
Jai guru deva om

I think you may be surprised how much better you can do vs that Eureka. It's an inexpensive box for sure, but I never heard anything special coming out of one. I'm not slagging off on Presonus, but the Eureka isn't a stand out piece.

Black Lion Audio Sparrow AD converters and a pair of preamps would be my focus. Unless you're prepared to commit to a sound while tracking with a channel strip (seems as though you are tracking yourself) focus on 2 great preamps and 2 great converters.

War

2nd April 2009
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

LA610

I'm very close to getting this strip. I've heard a lot of good things about it, especially for the value.

Any opinions? I do mostly rock and pop.

JROCK
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search