Need to incorporate Protools into my studio
Old 21st March 2009
Lives for gear

Need to incorporate Protools into my studio

I have been running Cubase in my studio for about 4 years. For me it's been a great program, but I'm doing more and more work for other artist and I am getting requests for a Protools solution in my studio.

I have a second dual 1.8 G5 in the studio and I'm looking for a way to use it for a Protools station. I do not need a high end system. Sometihng that would let me run a 40 track count with a good suite of plugins.

Because Cubase is such a strong midi program and I have it stacked with 4 UAD cards I would like to be able to move projects back and forth between it and Protools, if it's possible.

I'm running an Ensemble on my Cubase system and would like to hear any ideas on what interface would be comparable for a Protools system.

I am a complete noob about Protools, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 21st March 2009
Gear nut

They just want protools because that is what they hear is great. You could tell people you use protools and the majority of your clients would not know you were lying.
Old 21st March 2009
Lives for gear

Do you need HD? If not, a profire 2626 with your ensamble adat in would be pretty decent. Or just get a transit and track in cubase and mix in protools when they are there.
Old 21st March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spennels View Post
They just want protools because that is what they hear is great. You could tell people you use protools and the majority of your clients would not know you were lying.
That's a good show of integrity... lie to your clients.

The Dual 1.8 is not going to cut it for Pro Tools 8. You will find PT sluggish and cumbersome on that machine.

As for which PT to buy, start with something cheap. Maybe even a used 002 or 003.
Put your toe in the waters of Digidesign and learn the program really well. Try out different manfactuers plguins (on a trial basis) and then youll have a better idea of what you want to purchase.
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the responses.

I should clarify that my clients are not asking for Protools because it's the industry standard or basing a decision to work with me on whether I have a Protools rig. It's a case of many of my clients tracking in Protools at another studio and wanting to bring Protools sessions into my studio for mixing. I'm not really sure of how to move these sessions over to Cubase or for that matter how to port things back to Protools to work in another studio. That is why I'm thinking of bringing a basic Protools rig on.

So again, I'm a huge Noob here. Maybe there is a way to just port this Protools stuff over and just work in Cubase. That would be my first choice as I do midi intensive work, like Cubase and I'm very comfortable using it.
Old 22nd March 2009
Gear Head

Can't say I know too much about this stuff but I heard that you can just make it an OMF or AAF from Protools and send it to anything. I use that for sending audio feeds from video projects to a friend who knows audio stuff.
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Get a 2626, PT M-Powered 8 and build yourself a shiny new dual or quad core PC with a couple of hard drives, 2-4 gig of ram (research firewire cards and motherboards before you start). Set you back about $1200-1500 and your clients will think you're the smartest, most trust worthy individual in the world.
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Have them consolidate the audio files so youll just be getting the WAV files and they will all start at ZERO.

make sure you set Cubase to 24 bit in Project Setup as Protools does NOT work with 32 bit float files.

import them into Cubase and take off.

Bounce your tracks down in Cubase so you can give them consolidated audio files to import back into Protools. Make sure your tracks in Cubase ARE NOT STEREO tracks as Protools will only import MONO, it treats stereo as DUAL MONO tracks.
file export /audiomixdown for EACH TRACK. this process is better in C5 as you can select all the track you want and export with one clik. the bounce is down on each track to give you one long WAV that starts form Zero.

Better yet, do what I did . GO get you a DIGI 003rack and be done, then you can open up session files they give you and no importing and exporting crap.
It will do 48 tracks right out of the box

I use Cubase 4.5.2 and Protools LE 8.0 here BTW
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 23rd March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Have them consolidate the audio files so youll just be getting the WAV files and they will all start at ZERO.

make sure you set Cubase to 24 bit in Project Setup as Protools does NOT work with 32 bit float files.

import them into Cubase and take off.

Bounce your tracks down in Cubase so you can give them consolidated audio files to import back into Protools. Make sure your tracks in Cubase ARE NOT STEREO tracks as Protools will only import MONO, it treats stereo as DUAL MONO tracks.
file export /audiomixdown for EACH TRACK. this process is better in C5 as you can select all the track you want and export with one clik. the bounce is down on each track to give you one long WAV that starts form Zero.

Better yet, do what I did . GO get you a DIGI 003rack and be done, then you can open up session files they give you and no importing and exporting crap.
It will do 48 tracks right out of the box

I use Cubase 4.5.2 and Protools LE 8.0 here BTW
are you saying to bounce every track seperately?...i use nuendo and have run into this problem and had to bounce EVERY track ONE AT A TIME...because the guy that wanted to mix the record had pro tools but apparantly pt cant open omf files without a third party application..is this right or was i stoned when he told me this?
Old 24th March 2009
Gear maniac

Pro tools can open OMF files but you have to get "Digi translator" (aka give digidesign more money) and at that it doesn't always work.

I live in the hell that is using 3 diff. DAWs all the time (Samplitude, Cubase, and Pro Tools HD). The only sure fire way to have no problems when going between DAWs is to burn in blank audio from the start of the session to the end of the last audio event for every track (it sucks I know) The fastest way is to past in some blank audio at the beginning of your session and consolidate it with everything on the track.

But if you always work in Bwav (Broadcast wav) the audio is time stamped. So when you import it into an other daw or session you can have it snap to where it was. Its not always 100% reliable so make sure you double check that everything got lined up properly.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search