002 SPDIF send/return latency
Old 18th March 2009
Gear nut

002 SPDIF send/return latency

I am having a weird problem with my 002 and TC electronic M One XL reverb. I am using the spdif out/in on the 002 with spdif in/out on the M one as a send return loop, but I am experiencing latency on the return fader. And the latency is proportional to the buffer setting (at 64 samples the latency is effectively gone, at 1024 it is huge).
I thought there was not supposed to be any latency using spdif (at least not any buffer latency). I recently upgraded to PT 8, maybe that has something to do with it? I know that latency with off board reverb is really just like a predelay, but I am trying to use one of the other settings on the M one that requires no delay and everything sounds like a flanger.
I have done this same set up many times and never experienced any delay like this, but this is the 1st time I've tried in PT 8. Is there a preference in PT that I need to activate/deactivate or something.? (I already checked low latency monitoring, and that's not the problem).

This is really bugging me
Old 18th March 2009
Lives for gear

Your buffer latency applies to everything, what you won't get with spdif is converter latency, but that is not going to make a huge difference.

The buffer at 64 samples is only taking the time necessary to store 64 samples before emptying the buffer by sending those samples on to your audio application, which is why it's quicker than a buffer size consisting of more samples.
It's irrelevant whether it's an analogue or digital signal.
If you had analogue connections from your reverb unit to your audio interface device, then that latency would be introduced on top of the buffer latency - ie the buffer is still filling up with 64 samples, but the analogue connection is coming in a few samples later than a digital signal, which is why it would lag in comparison.

That's how I understand it anyway.
But if your return is being delayed by more than the buffer size, then you must have a problem somewhere else maybe.

Recording down the return and nudging it into place seems to be the method of choice to get everything sample accurate.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search