Which bass frequencies do you boost?
New Reply
Subscribe
rodhmos
14th July 2005
Old 14th July 2005
Gear maniac

Which bass frequencies do you boost?

Which frequencies do you usually boost on electric bass?
Do you have personal favourites?
14th July 2005
Old 14th July 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhmos

63 Hz is my favourite bass frequency
14th July 2005
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

Which ever one needs a boostin`

My settings will allways change a bit based on the player, the bass, the amp, and the particular tone the guy was going for.
14th July 2005
Old 14th July 2005
One with big hooves

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Jay Kahrs Send a message via Skype™ to Jay Kahrs
Quote:

I like to put a 20dB shelving boost on at 20Hz, that usually gets some air moving!

Ummm...no seriously...

Cut before boosting. You only have so much headroom, so you should try to preserve it.

Use your ears.

In 10 years of engineering I don't think I've ever EQ'd any two bass guitars the same way. There are so many varibles involved from the player to the instrument to the amp/DI/mic to...
mooseaudio.bandcamp.com
Quote:
All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...
14th July 2005
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

I agree totally with Jay...

But I do routinely put high pass filters on...even on bass. HP at around 20 Hz to take out rumble. Part of the issue with digital recording is that you can capture lots of low frequency that just ends up as mud and rumble and eats up headroom in the mix. That never really was a problem on analog since the response was usually a few dB down at 20Hz and falls fast below that.

My approach with bass guitar is really to cut...usually there's a few notes that really bloom and blossom more than others, and I try to put strategic cuts there. Then maybe some more broad cuts in the low freq range to let more of the harmonics come through rather than the fundamentals.

I do find that I often boost around 2k or so to add some definition and attack. Then again I'm usually dealing with the same player...(different basses though).

Cheers,

Kris
14th July 2005
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

boost 100db @ 10hz
14th July 2005
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog
boost 100db @ 10hz
... just don't forget to wear an "athletic supporter" or your odds at fathering children will be greatly reduced.
14th July 2005
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Everyone above me stated the most unified opinion you will find...

I record rock.

Record some ref guitars.. listen to the bottom of the guitars and make sure the bass is full and supporting underneath the them. Then make sure there is enough top top to cut in the guitars and add a little edge.

Put the kick in. Make sure they are not competing. Make sure the kick doesn't get lost at all. Make sure the top of the bass and the click of the kick are not fighting each other.

Make sure there is enough top in the bass to cut and enough bottom for the kids with the subs that like to feel their brains shake while they drive.
14th July 2005
Old 14th July 2005
Gear nut

Try boosing, by ~1 db or so, the lowest octave above 60Hz of the fundamental frequency of the tonic of the song. This can sometimes work very well and help add "definition" to a boomy or muddy bass, espescially when used in conjuction with some judicious cuts.
14th July 2005
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

20 HZ on bass ? gimme gimme

if u r going digital and have no acess to the " supervodoo " converters , youll prolly end up with a slope on the damn mids which tend to cover all the dfegad rest . so first thing is to cut out what you dont like , next thing is to bring whats missing . i really enjoy 30hz pultec style on "low" instruments .

it all depends <-- sad but true
14th July 2005
Old 14th July 2005

My Recordings/Credits

Every instrument, amp, DI, musician, recording, arrangement, and song is different. Bass guitar can't be generalized as much as something like a kick drum can, and even then there are obviously plenty of variables. I do find myself often shelving down lows and/or low mids on bass more than occasionally. It often sits in the track better and cures the boomies. It actually can feel more full and impactful with less junk down there. Other times, 100 works, sometimes 200 works, sometimes really low at 50 works. Often some mid- to upper mid-range adds articulation, and 300-600 usually sounds bad.

Sometimes low and/or high pass filters are useful, as is sometimes a distressor with a little distortion to cut through a rock mix. An LA-2A on a Fender Jazz is cool for a little old school funky tone, or one of my faves, a Gates sta-level. I'll often run from the Gates for a little color into the distressor for some bite. This all just scratches the surface. Electric bass is incredibly unpredictable. An old Fender P-Bass with dead strings through an Ampeg sounds nothing like a new Music Man Stingray through an SWR, and you can't use a one-size-fits-all approach. The song, style, and arrangement are really the biggest factors that influence your choices.
www.studiometronome.com
14th July 2005
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Here's an important thing: I recommend switching back and forth between your regular monitors and some little speakers, or a boom box. That'll tell you about the freq's that help define the bass when the mix is played back on something that doesn't go so low.

I tend to cut 500 and then do a hi pass (30-ish?) I try to never cut 250, but I've done it.
14th July 2005
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Never the same twice, but I tend to cut a little at the 125-150Hz region which can really boom out on consumer playback systems. Sometimes I add some second harmonic around 250Hz back to get some weight back...

Greetings,
Dirk
15th July 2005
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have had great results with the 60 Hz shelf on the Siemens W295b. Different from song to song, instrument to instrument etc of course but the Siemens nicely adds a little extra sub without taking energy from the kick.
15th July 2005
Old 15th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

Multiband compression can eliminate the need for EQ on bass many times. Helps keep that midrange present too.

I've found multiband compression in Nuendo can be the key to good chunkin' heavy guitars without having to roll off too much low end also. Just let it keep those out of control palm mutes in line...

War

8th January 2007
Old 8th January 2007
Lives for gear

I´m confused. Is the "prasenz" control +/- 8db on the bottom the same as the 60 Hz shelf?

15K shelf on top, mids, and on the bottom theres this presence control - where is the 60hz bass control?

/CJ
8th January 2007
Old 8th January 2007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post
I like to put a 20dB shelving boost on at 20Hz, that usually gets some air moving!

Ummm...no seriously...

Cut before boosting. You only have so much headroom, so you should try to preserve it.

Use your ears.

In 10 years of engineering I don't think I've ever EQ'd any two bass guitars the same way. There are so many varibles involved from the player to the instrument to the amp/DI/mic to...
You are so right! Every song and very instrument will requires it's own unique EQ. The best thing to do is to listen and EQ only if the track requires it. Also feel free to play around when you have the time.
8th January 2007
Old 8th January 2007
Gear nut

a cut in the 500 hz range usualy does some magic bringing lost bass out!!!
8th January 2007
Old 8th January 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

i do reggae, bass is everything!

i also have a feeling for multiples of 60Hz, which is what gear runs on in the States, that meeting point of the technical and the musical. i usually give 60Hz to the bass, 120 to the kick, 240 to the organ. at least for starters....
8th January 2007
Old 8th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Everyone above me stated the most unified opinion you will find...

I record rock.

Record some ref guitars.. listen to the bottom of the guitars and make sure the bass is full and supporting underneath the them. Then make sure there is enough top top to cut in the guitars and add a little edge.

Put the kick in. Make sure they are not competing. Make sure the kick doesn't get lost at all. Make sure the top of the bass and the click of the kick are not fighting each other.

Make sure there is enough top in the bass to cut and enough bottom for the kids with the subs that like to feel their brains shake while they drive.

I CANT READ THIS IT IS TOO FUZZY !!!
8th January 2007
Old 8th January 2007
Gear addict

to print? or mixdown?
I never touch eq on bass to print.That said i dont eq much at all to print.Maybe low cut occasionally depends on genre
18th August 2011
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

boosting 800Hz do wonders....
18th August 2011
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianBrightnes View Post
63 Hz is my favourite bass frequency
either you're joking or using an API graphic EQ
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search