Quad Mic Cable Mogami vs. Canare
New Reply
Subscribe
Alex Specht
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quad Mic Cable Mogami vs. Canare

Im looking to order some bulk cable. I have had great experience with Mogami Quad 2534, but noticed that the Canare Quad L-4E6s is half the price. I have used the Canare cable as well, but not in a critical situation (live monitor split). So, Im wondering if the Canare at half the price will stand up to the coveted Mogami Quad. Im talking about the bulk cable, not the premade stuff with connectors.

Here are the links to the specs on either

Canare: Canare Corp. - Quality Cables and Connectors:

Mogami: MOGAMI - Neglex Quad Microphone Cables

From What I can make of these specs the Mogami slightly permormed better in tests than the Canare. Very slightly less impedence in the mogami, but 2-3x the capacitance in the Canare (more capacitance translates to less bass response?).

I know, I know: "USE YOUR EAR AND IF IT SOUNDS GOOD USE IT"....

Mogami Spool $584.50 Mogami W2534 656 BLACK Raw Mic Cable, 4-Conductor, 24 AWG, 656 Ft, Black | Full Compass
Canare Spool $252.39 Canare L4E6S 656 4C 24GA Mic Cable/200M 656ft | Full Compass
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
Gear maniac

Canare is good stuff, that's what all of my cables are made of. The braided shield is a lot tougher than the simple wound shield on the Mogami.
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
Gear nut

Here's another vote of confidence for Canare. Got it, use it in live applications, it's been walked on, spit on, wadded up and chunked in the back of a pickup truck (which did NOT make me happy!!), but it still is working great.
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Specht View Post
Im looking to order some bulk cable. I have had great experience with Mogami Quad 2534, but noticed that the Canare Quad L-4E6s is half the price. I have used the Canare cable as well, but not in a critical situation (live monitor split). So, Im wondering if the Canare at half the price will stand up to the coveted Mogami Quad. Im talking about the bulk cable, not the premade stuff with connectors.

From What I can make of these specs the Mogami slightly permormed better in tests than the Canare. Very slightly less impedence in the mogami, but 2-3x the capacitance in the Canare (more capacitance translates to less bass response?).

Mogami Spool $584.50 Mogami W2534 656 BLACK Raw Mic Cable, 4-Conductor, 24 AWG, 656 Ft, Black | Full Compass
Canare Spool $252.39 Canare L4E6S 656 4C 24GA Mic Cable/200M 656ft | Full Compass
Mogami is great but is not worth more than DOUBLE than Canare.

Durable stuff.
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
Gear nut

I actually prefer canare over mogami, particularly when recording to digital. Carare sounds just a bit fatter, mogami just a bit clearer in the high end.
13th March 2009
Old 13th March 2009
Gear maniac

is the quad better sounding?

just wanted to recount this story when i approached a cabling professional for some star quad.

this guy who made my cables - who just does audio cabling - says he cannot hear the difference between mogami and canare quad cables. and he runs a full-time professional audio cable business.

personally he prefers the canare only because it is - in his opinion - more durable and longer lasting than the mogami.

incidentally while he says he cannot pick the difference between the mogami and canare quad that he installs However he clearly can hear the difference beween the quad and the standard canare twisted pair L2T2S:

Canare Corp. - Quality Cables and Connectors:

and he prefers the audio of twisted pair over the quad and recommends it to his clients based upon sound quality and only uses the quad when there are major EMI/ RFI issues because he thinks the cost of is loss of audio quality.

food for thought: the more expensive quad does not necessarily sound better. hence you maybe able to get the audio you want even more cheaply depending upon your application scenario.

anyway just someone else's two cents but this guys makes beautiful audio cables full time.

spek

ps i know others will have different opinions on this matter.
13th March 2009
Old 13th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
I actually prefer canare over mogami, particularly when recording to digital. Carare sounds just a bit fatter, mogami just a bit clearer in the high end.
I hope this is a joke.

Cable is friggin cable. Go buy some redco quad. I personally have seen a difference in noise levels with quad vs standard. I had a standard mogami cable that was picking up noise and switched to a redco quad and it went away.
13th March 2009
Old 13th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Specht View Post

i would say that IF the Canare has 2-3x the capacitance and IF more capacitance translates to less bass response. then I would go with Mogami.
but those are big "IF"s
13th March 2009
Old 13th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years View Post
i would say that IF the Canare has 2-3x the capacitance and IF more capacitance translates to less bass response. then I would go with Mogami.
but those are big "IF"s
in fact, i did go with the mogami
13th March 2009
Old 13th March 2009
Gear addict

Which sounds better is totally dependent upon the application and the particular gear involved. There are a lot of fundamental reasons in electronics theory for this and experience bears it out time and time again.

In many instances cable type may make no difference. In others it may make a very noticeable difference.

Now, if you are talking real cheap stuff vs. Canare, Mogami or good quality Belden you should be able to hear a difference. Any of the above 3 mentioned should provide excellent results even though there may be slight differences.

But if you find something cheaper and it sounds great and meets your needs for durability, RFI rejection, etc. by all means use it!
13th March 2009
Old 13th March 2009
Lives for gear

i wanna get that 10,000$ power cable to make my music sound better.
13th March 2009
Old 13th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
i wanna get that 10,000$ power cable to make my music sound better.
I hate those people.

Because the quality of the 2+ mile run of power by the power company makes no where near the same difference as the last 3 feet.
13th March 2009
Old 13th March 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 View Post
I hate those people.

Because the quality of the 2+ mile run of power by the power company makes no where near the same difference as the last 3 feet.
it doesnt mean the 10,000$ cable is invalid, it means there's something else in the box... filters prolly
13th March 2009
Old 13th March 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
I hope this is a joke.

Cable is friggin cable. Go buy some redco quad. I personally have seen a difference in noise levels with quad vs standard. I had a standard mogami cable that was picking up noise and switched to a redco quad and it went away.

No it wasnt a joke. You say cable is friggin cable, but you noticed a difference in noise when you switched to a different type? Contradicted yourself, no?

The cable does or doesn't make a difference is an old debate, no point in starting it up again. The guy asked about mogami vs canare, i gave my experiences. The difference is extremely small, but I have noticed it. If you don't think cable makes a difference, thats fine, might as well buy hosa. I will continue to use Canare, which I find to be durable, sounds good, and certainly a good value.
Alex Specht
18th March 2009
Old 18th March 2009
Lives for gear

Bump

Someone hear posted that the paired (not quad) canare sounds better than the quad?

I have had fantastic results with the mogami quad, and would like to stick with that, but I have a hard time justifying the price difference with almost identical specs.
19th March 2009
Old 19th March 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to msquared Send a message via Skype™ to msquared
There are enough places online which are building solid cables out of the raw stuff mentioned above that you could get a 6' cable from each place and test it out yourself. If you don't trust their work, buy a pack of Neutrik (or whatever) ends and redo the ends on them. You'll spend less than $50 and a bit of time soldering and have much more solid data than you'll get from some dudes bickering on the internet.

I would bet money that in a double blind test, nobody who has posted to this thread could identify a difference between a well built cable done with Mogami and a well built cable done with Canare. The OP's soldering skills are going to have way more to do with the difference than the freakin' manufacturer of the cable.

HOSA versus Mogami? You could tell a difference if you were listening to a single well recorded track. Canare versus Mogami? I call BS if you say you could tell the two apart without lab gear.
19th March 2009
Old 19th March 2009
Gear nut

Every world class studio I have been in has used either Canare, Mogami, or Blue. I have never been in a professional studio that used hosa or redco, but if I was in a studio working and thats all they had, I wouldn't even blink, I would just get down to making music. It's not like I change out different brands of cables for different singers. When you record a song with 50 tracks all through one type of cable, and then record another song 50 tracks though a different type of cable, you will notice a difference in sound. Comparing spending a modest amount of money on mic cables to spending $10k on a power cable doesn't make sense to me.
20th March 2009
Old 20th March 2009
Gear interested

I made some guitar cables with both Canare and Mogami quad cables. At a rehearsal, I head this "knocking" sound coming through the PA. Turns out, I gave the guitar player a Mogami cable to test. He was tapping his foot next to the cable and the microphonics were picked up by the PA. Switching to the Canare cable eliminated the microphonics. Turns out Mogami has a spiral shield and Canare has a braided shield which offers better rejection than the spiral.

However, if you are looking for a value in a quad-style cable, I highly recommend Redco TGS-QD cable at $0.39/foot. You could probably get a short sample from them to check it out. 200m of Redco will cost $230.00.

Check it out here
20th March 2009
Old 20th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years View Post
but those are big "IF"s
A serial capacitor blocks DC and some of the LF depending on terminating impedances and the actual capacitance.

BUT a cable has no serial capacitance, only paralell. A paralell C shorts very high frequencies between the two (or more) conductors which is the same as a low pass filter.

The amount of HF roll off in a set up depends on the driving impedance and the total cable capacitance.

Best is to use a short cable with low capacitance and a mic with a low Z/impedance output such as modern condensers (Sennheiser MKH series comes to mind as some of the lowest Zout @ aprox. 25ohm).

A ribbon mic with some 300ohm impedance with a long cable of high capacitance will likely give audible roll off of the top.

A MKH mic can probably drive a 20-30 meter decent cable without audible loss of HF.

Even worse is passive guitars and basses with some 5-10kohm Z out but OTOH those instruments typically don't have much HF that needs to be preserved. The microphonic effect of the cable is real with such high Z as passive guitars and basses have but I doubt it could ever be an issue with a low Z condenser.

/Peter
20th March 2009
Old 20th March 2009
Lives for gear

I'm very happy with canaré..I soldered all my cables...and I could tell over other ordinary cables (not mogami though) a better presence/bass response...
my cables are only 19 feet long though
just my 0.02 $

bests,
Cheu

www.masterdaelion.com
A new, breaktrough way of reading your music scores.

"If you want to be given everything, give everything up"

www.qtrio.ch

www.studio21.ch

Quote:
We're only as good as the musicians we keep; the same goes for the musicians. - Remoteness
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 View Post
I hate those people.

True, but a good quality cable is better than some cheap stock crap.
$10,000 cable is insane. But I be damm if I use hosa or whirlwind cables in my gear. Mogami or canare. And a decent hospital grade power cable.
14th September 2011
Old 14th September 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
I hope this is a joke.

Nah, man. Cables most certainly do sound different, and that isn't cork sniffing. I find a lot of the things people obsess over on this board trivial, but cables make a big difference. I'd be glad to do a shootout for you if you would like.
14th September 2011
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I recently had some 25' Mogami Quad and Canare cables made up for a gig I'm about to do in an RF-heavy room. I only had time to do one comparison so far, with a Blue Bottle Rocket (stock capsule) into a EL Mike-E and then compared to a Grace m-201. I recorded noise floor and was surprised that the Canare was quieter. Both pres had a fairly similar noise floor thru the Canare.
15th September 2011
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
A serial capacitor blocks DC and some of the LF depending on terminating impedances and the actual capacitance.

BUT a cable has no serial capacitance, only paralell. A paralell C shorts very high frequencies between the two (or more) conductors which is the same as a low pass filter.

The amount of HF roll off in a set up depends on the driving impedance and the total cable capacitance.
+1 to this.

I've noticed it in long cable runs (the studio I work out of has a 125~150 ft cable run to the iso booths for tie lines).

When we were testing cable, the higher the capacitance, the less top end we heard. Period. Again we were doing a shoot out of cables all cut to 100', most people don't need that. At 10' the difference is probably minimal. At 150' for the tie line, and then another 20' for the mic cable going from the wall to the instrument, you can hear the difference.

And as someone else mentioned, Quad will have less top end than twisted pair for long cable runs. but Quad will usually have better RF rejection. So that's the trade-off. If you only need short cables, it is moot. You won't hear the difference either way. The difference becomes more noticeable as the cables get longer.

"We were working on Raiders [of the Lost Ark]. He [Ben Burt] told me that the sound source for opening the lid of the ark in the last reel was within 20'. I couldn't figure it out. It turned out to be lifting the back off the toilet above the water chamber, and slowing it down." -Tomlinson Holman
15th September 2011
Old 15th September 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
However he clearly can hear the difference beween the quad and the standard canare twisted pair L2T2S:

Canare Corp. - Quality Cables and Connectors:

and he prefers the audio of twisted pair over the quad and recommends it to his clients based upon sound quality and only uses the quad when there are major EMI/ RFI issues because he thinks the cost of is loss of audio quality.

+1 Quad has higher capacitance than twisted pair. High capacitance rolls off the high frequencies. Use quad only if you have EMI/RFI issues (unless you like the effect of HF rolloff, which Jimi Hendrix did with his guitar cable ).
21st September 2011
Old 21st September 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
+1 Quad has higher capacitance than twisted pair. High capacitance rolls off the high frequencies. Use quad only if you have EMI/RFI issues (unless you like the effect of HF rolloff, which Jimi Hendrix did with his guitar cable ).
Wouldn't EQ / RTA negate this as a problem?
21st September 2011
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Canare!!
21st September 2011
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57junior View Post
Nah, man. Cables most certainly do sound different, and that isn't cork sniffing.
In some situations yes, depending on impedance mismatch.

In most situations the impedances involved allows for interfacing without audible problems though.

/Peter
21st September 2011
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
+1 to this.

I've noticed it in long cable runs (the studio I work out of has a 125~150 ft cable run to the iso booths for tie lines).

When we were testing cable, the higher the capacitance, the less top end we heard. Period. Again we were doing a shoot out of cables all cut to 100', most people don't need that. At 10' the difference is probably minimal. At 150' for the tie line, and then another 20' for the mic cable going from the wall to the instrument, you can hear the difference.

And as someone else mentioned, Quad will have less top end than twisted pair for long cable runs. but Quad will usually have better RF rejection. So that's the trade-off. If you only need short cables, it is moot. You won't hear the difference either way. The difference becomes more noticeable as the cables get longer.
Derek, did you try any MKH's or similar microphones with low output impedance?

/Peter
18th October 2011
Old 18th October 2011
Gear interested

MOGAMI AND CANARE etc,.. STAR QUAD etc...

Mogami is good, Canare is good..

Star quad canare is a little cheaper than 2 core to buy, perhaps less copper over all...

I would not put MOGAMI on a hard working stage... CANARE lasts for ever...

Canare and Mogami are sweat in studios...

Mogami costs more and is harder to get due to distro management in Australia...

Mogami has a little more bling profile here in the studio...

Check out my site... Home of Sydney Sound Cables - Professional Custom Audio cables, Instrument and Lighting cables Australia - Microphone cable Microphone Cables - Microphone cable - XLR to XLR - TRS - guitar cable guitar cables

see the new section for some more info too.......

Cheers....
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search