Fender Price increase
New Reply
Subscribe
purplesky
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Gear maniac

Fender Price increase

Hey does anyone know of a store who has not yet done the Fender price increase. I was going to get the 62 vintage P bass when it was $1500 last month. Its now like $1950 which is a joke! Fender is really screwing themselves to do such a huge increase in 2009. I guess they think that 12 months free financing through Guitar center will ease the pain! NOT!
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Maybe you really want the 62 reissue, but I can tell you the American Standard P-Bass is every bit as good as the "62".

The reason vintage instruments are so coveted is that the wood ages very nicely due to the nitrocellulose laquer that was common to the period. The specs really had nothing to do with it. You can't really fake age.
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Gear Guru

GC in Hollywood actually looked like they were moving slow on the price increases (in store only - not online).

Ironically I was just working on a show where we were offered the Fender endorsement discount for featuring their items in the show (and I mean really featuring Fender in all the big scenes).

Unfortunately we'd been after them since October, and they finally put our order together a couple weeks ago - like exactly two days after the price change went into effect.

The net result was, with the new prices and the old discount - our "deal" was like $100-$200 off what the stuff was selling for in January... not so much of a savings.

So I actually found the Tele I was looking for on craigs list for 50% off retail. I got an approximately $1,500 guitar for $750, which Fender was going to sell me for like $1,200...

Now more than ever I'd be cruising used gear. Seems like bad timing for Fender but maybe they know something we don't...

happy hunting.
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Go to The LowEnd. They have several older Fenders available right now for relatively good prices if you don't mind a ittle wear (which everyone seems to love judging by the popularity of "relic'ed" guitars).
purplesky
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Gear maniac

Actually I would just get an American standard P bass or any bass in that quality range. I have a 30 year old Jazz bass that just doest seem to do it anymore for recording. I will call my GC tomorrow and see if they can deal the old prices. The thing thats so goofy for Fender is that consumers are taking pay cuts if not losing their jobs these days. This trend will continue for atleast 2 years so sellers have to be pissed at Fender. Why not sell more units by lowering the price a bit. The mark-up on a Fender is huge already.
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Or check this out.

Not a Fender, but I know this guy's work and it's very good. I've been talking to him recently about an endorsement deal for custom basses.
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Gear maniac

Ive been looking for a Geddy Lee Jazz and they went from $750 to over a grand. To Craigslist I will go!!
purplesky
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Gear maniac

Its really hard to spend my money on a Fender product right now. I actually bought a HSS Deluxe Strat last month and it is like $300.00 more this month. That is a joke.
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Gear Guru

Did they improve their crappy QC to go along with the price increase?

If it wasn't for ownership of those classic designs, I seriously doubt Fender the company would still be in business.
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Fender guitars have been overpriced for a long time (especially the "custom shop" stuff), and this price increase at this time surely won't help their bottom line any. My guess is that we'll be seeing a "Fender cutting back production due to economic woes" news story in the future.

Cheers,
--
Don
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlack View Post
Ive been looking for a Geddy Lee Jazz and they went from $750 to over a grand. To Craigslist I will go!!
I got one right before the price went up with a 15% off GC coupon. Honestly, it's worth $1000.
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I got one right before the price went up with a 15% off GC coupon. Honestly, it's worth $1000.
It's your new guitar.

You have to love it!

Congratulations on the new axe!
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Leo Fender took his designs from the 1950's and with newer technology in the 1980's improved the hell out of them with his G&L guitars and basses.

G&L Legacy is a Strat with a better trem bar design, improved neck, and pickup that are quieter, and offer a smooth distortion instead of the garbled ones on the Fender Strats.

G&L ASAT Classic is a great Tel. with a great front pickup (how about that) and improved neck from the original Fender Tel. Back pickup is pretty close to the Fender Tel, though a tad smoother.

G&L 2000 is a active bass that gives the Fender Prec, P Bass and modern sound all in one bass. Their 2500 is the 5 string version.

Oh yeah the G&L 2000 is cheaper than a Fender Prec or P Bass (except for the cheaper lower quality Fender's made in Mexico
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlack View Post
I was always surprised that the Geddy Lee model was only $750.
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Kills for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
I was always surprised that the Geddy Lee model was only $750.
I'm no Rush fan, but I picked that bass over an American Standard.
I was thinking of getting an American Standard this year, but I just got my friend's circa 85 fretless jazz deluxe, practically for free, so...
Now all three of my Fender's are MIJ (the third is the '51 PBass reissue).
All excellent sounding and playing instruments for waaaaay less than the USA versions.
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
Gear maniac

Hey, thank you very much for the heads up. I took advantage of the GC price matching
policy to find a web site that had not yet updated their prices. I've never bought a guitar
"unplayed" before, but the opportunity to save $300 bones before the price increase
seems worth a shot.

Looks like I'll be prematurely adding a Telecaster to the collection.

Thanks again for the head up.

MJH
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
Lives for gear

Four words: Ernie Ball Music Man
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
Lives for gear

GC raises the prices on Fender on March 1st. Everyone else has already done so, it looks like.

Honestly. An American Strat has been about the same price for ten years. Milk has tripled in that time. So has gas. Inflation couldn't be more obvious here. Gibson already raised their prices. I like my Fenders just as much as my Gibsons, yet I can still get the Fenders cheaper. They were bound to go up.

I guess if our wages and salaries were going up as well, we wouldn't be complaining so much.
C - 214.471.9563
kdeal@gcpro.com
http://www.gcpro.com/
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
Lives for gear

I like the new mexi strats that came out. They feel nice.
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
Lives for gear

I have a 2006 American Highway One Strat I'm thinking of selling... $500 or so... anyone interested?
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
Lives for gear

I was going to buy one of those special edition basses, the one with one active pick-up, it's supposed to be a p-bass - j-bass combo. Anyway, they went from $545.00 - $765 in @ three months. No thanks, i'll look for an old school bass for the same price.
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
If it wasn't for ownership of those classic designs, I seriously doubt Fender the company would still be in business.
Depends on the item and the source. Most of the American stuff I see is poorly assembled, typically strings are off center and necks are mounted off center. Pick guards have gaps or spaces on one side, it's as if everyone at Fender has eyesight problems. Even the models on the Fender calender are crooked.
There is zero excuse for this with computer controlled precision C+C machinery.
A review of older models from the 60's show far greater precision than the newer stuff does.

I bought a Fender Telecaster JA-90 artist model. It's very well made, it used figured ash on the hollow body and a mahogany neck glued in, sort of like a Les Paul special in design with P-90 Seymour Duncan pickups. Those sucked with their heavy ceramic magnets and overwound coils, I replaced them with 1960 vintage P-90's, the real deal.

This guitar is flawless. I paid $750 for it. The reason for such precision on a Fender product is because it was made in Korea. They seem to have better eyesight there than in Corona, AZ, Ensenada or Indonesia.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
Gear maniac

I've noticed that both Fender and Gibson have been steadily raising their prices for the last 2 years. I didn't follow them before that time, so I can't really say.

In 2006, you could buy a brand new SG Standard for $1099 and a brand new American Standard Telecaster for $949.

In 2007, the SG went up to $1249 and in 2008 it went up again to $1499. I think it's now at $1599!!

In 2007 and 2008 the Tele pretty much stayed around the $950-1000 price point, so this big jump on Fenders is quite a bit different than the previous $50-75 annual increases.

I've also noticed that the Rickenbacker 360 has gone from about $1200 to $1850 recently as well.

In Econ 101, they teach you about "elasticity of demand", which is the idea that every product has elasticity. The demand for highly elastic products/services will vary greatly based on the price. The demand for inelastic products/services will not vary much at all based on changes to the price.

Corona Beer is a good example. They have been testing the elasticity of the demand for their product over the last 18 months. Have you noticed how a 12pk of Corona used to be 10.99, then 11.99, then 12.99, etc. Now it's $15.99!!! At what point will people stop buying it and switch to something else? Those greedy f***ks at Gambrinus obviously think their product's demand is highly inelastic.

Same deal at Fender and Gibson. How far can they push the price of a Les Paul before people stop buying? They think that their demographic is the aging baby boomer and that as many/most are now empty nesters, they will have the disposable income to indulge their lifelong dream...

12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
Gear nut

This Fender $ increase, and big guitar maker prices in general, are out of control. Not that I've bought many, but I don't believe I'll ever buy another new Fender. You can just do so much better, for so much less. There's top-notch independent luthiers who will build a bass or guitar for 1k and change, that will beat the pants off a new Fender, or any mass produced instrument for that matter. Spend a little more and they'll build an absolute one of a kind masterpiece. There's also great value in less sought after brands. I just bought a Peavey bass for $425 that kicks ass. Even some vintage Fenders look like deals now - vintage Mustangs for instance, are priced nearly the same as the reissues, depending on condition. Surely that'll be short lived though, as the viintage market will follow suit...<sigh>...
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdub123 View Post
Corona Beer is a good example. They have been testing the elasticity of the demand for their product over the last 18 months. Have you noticed how a 12pk of Corona used to be 10.99, then 11.99, then 12.99, etc. Now it's $15.99!!! At what point will people stop buying it and switch to something else? Those greedy f***ks at Gambrinus obviously think their product's demand is highly inelastic.
Solution: Buy better beer.
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
Gear addict

Look for a JV serial number Squire pehaps....

I picked up a JV serial number Squire P Bass and every player who picks it up loves it.
SK1
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
SK1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Its really hard to spend my money on a Fender product right now. I actually bought a HSS Deluxe Strat last month and it is like $300.00 more this month. That is a joke.
Yeah, me too .... scored my HSS Standard a month ago ..... now in addition to the price increase they are charging more for the sienna sunburst color (that's the one I got ....... looks pretty cool )
20th March 2009
Old 20th March 2009
Gear addict

So I managed to get a new American Std precision for the old price and wow...it's a beautiful instrument and the sound kills. I got an olympic white model, put chrome covers on it and a set of heavy gauge Labella Deep Talking flats and I just can't put this thing down. I'm actually a guitarist but I'm having way more fun playing bass now.

Now a need a B15
20th March 2009
Old 20th March 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

e......
I agree
I've been saying this for years. How come you get a way with such comments?
20th March 2009
Old 20th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
e......
I agree
I've been saying this for years. How come you get a way with such comments?
+2 on this

...and for cryin out loud I haven't heard a decent pickup from fender for years. Overwound mud slinging crap where you can't even hear the real qualities of the instrument, i.e., wood, fretboard, body shape...you know, the reasons why you chose that particular instrument. Swap in some decent pickups and you can actually hear "a Strat"..."a Tele"..."p-bass"...

Shoddy fretwork, no choices for neck shape, crappy tuners,

...ok, I'll stop.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search