New Reply
Subscribe
ensoniq
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Head

John McLaughlin Live Setup: Cheap but effective

From the webside of John McLaughlin:

"... The Guitar signal arrives from an M-Audio 410 via FireWire to the computer ("G4 Laptop") . I send it directly through Amplitube 2, which is a very nice program, add some delay, and then it is bussed into 2 more channels which are then EQ Logic Pro 7 has some very nice PlugIns, and I use the channel strip EQ for each channel, and add a bit of chorus to each channel. This makes the sound more random in terms of chorus, less predictable. Of course, you can do a little more EQ on these channels to get the exact tone you want.
The output of these two channels is sent through outputs 1 2 of the M-Audio 410.
Here is synth setup in my stage setup
I use the following softsynthsȺ
- Logic 7 EVP88, ES1 and ES2.
- Spectrasonics Atmosphere and Distorted Reality."
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

My Studio

I'm a huge Mc Laughlin fan but I saw him play with 'Remember Shakti' a few years ago - using the type of setup you describe- and the sound was lacking. it was strange hearing a very cloudy and feeble (latency?) sound coming from his ES-335 whereas John's work in the past was sonically always intense, hard-hitting and direct no matter whether he played electric or acoustic guitar.

I'd like to see him go back to either a plain acoustic guitar or a Les Paul/Marshall setup, nothing beats that.

http://www.doorknocker.ch/
ensoniq
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Head

I watched him 2 years ago in Frankfurt (Remember Shakti) and was blown awy from the sund and his performance. Also I saw him last year in Wolfsburg with his Band. No Logic on the stage here . So it depends where , with who and what he is playing ;-) That makes him so great .
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

I agree. While I enjoyed Remember Shakti, it doesn't compare to the original group when he played the steel string. The RS sound is very vanilla and monotone. In the original Shakti, his sound was much more dynamic and fiery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I'm a huge Mc Laughlin fan but I saw him play with 'Remember Shakti' a few years ago - using the type of setup you describe- and the sound was lacking. it was strange hearing a very cloudy and feeble (latency?) sound coming from his ES-335 whereas John's work in the past was sonically always intense, hard-hitting and direct no matter whether he played electric or acoustic guitar.

I'd like to see him go back to either a plain acoustic guitar or a Les Paul/Marshall setup, nothing beats that.
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Gear addict

I used to play a very similar live setup using Amplitube 2. The only difference was the effects chain in Logic 8 and the interface. I thought I was getting good tone but did feel like it was lacking.

I have recently dumped my software "rig" and went with a POD X3 Live. The tone is 300% more realistic, there is absolutely no perceivable latency and it is easier to setup and configure. I will never play through software again... unless it is POD Farm!

"There is no such thing as an old song, just bad ones."
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Gear addict

I don't like his sound after '76.
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

McLaughlin is my over all fav guitar player. I have all his music up to the end of thhe 20st century.

The last great recording was easily 1990's , "Live At The Albert Hall" with Kai Eckardt on bass and the great Trilok Gurtu on percussion! What a fabulous trio! This album is so exciting and fiery, while also being smooth and deep in earnest compositions. Trilok sounds like the wildest drummer playing with his hands and using live mice in his percussion work. My favorite track on the album is "Florianpolis"...wow, what an incredible performance by all three! Trilok sounds like Neil Pert of RUSH at times, as he blisters into heavy contact!

I do not care for John's work in the 1990's and present for the most part. That Royal show was an exception, not even the studio album with the same material cut by the same guys can compare to that live performance!

But Mclaughlin's 1970's work is quite a different story. With the exception of one or two projects, I do not believe that you could find any bad or lacking material in John's entire 1970's recordings! I listen to "Devotion" all the time. Such a raw album with NO PRODUCTION VALUE and it is off the cliff in a good way! thumbsup
www.myspace.com/zythumstudios1
http://www.soundclick.com/zythum

"In the ending result, it is really all about the Guitar Solo!"
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder View Post
I don't like his sound after '76.
Well, my fave Mc Laughlin guitar sound (and playing) is on 'Electric Guitarist' which was released in 1979 I think.

I also totally dig his sound on those great late-60ies records like 'Emergency', 'Extrapolation' , 'In a silent way'...most of it supposedly was a Gibson Hummingbird acoustic guitar equipped with a pickup.

Hell, Mc Laughlin could even make an Ovation sound good like on 'My Goal's beyond'!

I need to re-buy 'Devotion', I had that on vinyl a long time ago and it's killer, even though Mc Laughlin absoluetly hates it because it was edited and mixed while he was away on tour!

Another recent discovery for me was Mc Laughlin's playing on Jack Bruce's 'Things we like'.....there's an almost Stooges-like distortion sound coming from his guitar on certain tunes and I find it extremely appealing. Sonically it's pretty much the opposite of his current Laptop/Logic 'vanilla' sound.
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

I thought this was about "The McLaughlin Group" PBS poltical show.

Back in the 1970's the Mahavisnu era me and Rex Bogue built a few cool goodies for him including circuits installed in the Gibson Doubleneck, the custom "Double Penis" Rex Bogue doubleneck guitar, a custom 6 channel guitar synth using 6 Oberheim expander modules, effects, etc. John is a very cool guy and gave me one of his custom made thick plastic picks that he used and some really excellent guitar playing advice that I still use today.

One I still use is this: When you play in a position, remove the index finger and pretend it's missing. Then use digit #2 as digit #1 and relearn the pattern with different fingers. Easier said than done! When you can do this, the fluidity of your playing improves exponentially.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Jim Williams;3903970]I thought this was about "The McLaughlin Group" PBS poltical show.

LOL Jim!
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Gear maniac

Amplitube 2 is good software, its jazz tones are probably the best of any modeler out there right now, I can see why he made that choice. Guitar Rig 3's JC120 model isn't nearly as good. IK Multimedia is the only company currently doing amp modeling which gets solid state modeling right, though I have to give props to ReValver MkIII for great solid state clipping emulation in some of their pedal models and in the JCM900's preamp section.
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

i am a mclaughlin fan for SURE. especially the old stuff with miles. his biting raw sounds were very effective. not a sound i personally ever went for....but it sure was cool to listen to.

however i have to say in both the live shakti show i saw AND on the crossroads DVD his tone was horrible. it just had no character. i am sure he has his reasons for wanting to use this sort of computer/DI type sound....but it was a total turn off to me. there were no rough edges....just midi/chorus/reverb sounding "blah" fast scales.
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Banned

I guess that it does get to be a pain to do the whole Marshall on "11" or several Marshalls on "11" but the old '70s stuff John McLauhlin played had such an intensity and I think that the amps on "11" contributed to it quite a bit!

There are a few solos on "Inner Mounting Flame" that have such fire.
The amp contributes quite a bit to the sound.

I like the sound because it is so raw and barely under control.
It is the same intensity as hearing John, Jan or Jerry jumping the gun when they were playing solos one after each other.
It is like they can't wait to play the next line they have in mind.

It is just "going for it" simply for the sake of "going for it!"
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

I had the honor to repair his guitar and to see his show last year. Im happy to report that he is a wonder, warm, and friendly man.

He didnt use a computer but rather a tiny Roland Cube amp.
tcmzodiac@yahoo.com
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

I guess there would be a huge tonal difference between a Blistering Marshal amp on "11" vs a Roland cube!

"Jack Johnson" is another raw favorite, as well as "Live Evil!"
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Gear nut

I'm surprised McLaughlin uses amplitube. I haven't ever got an amp modeler to sound better than the real thing. Whether it is amp farm, pod, digitech, amplitube etc etc. It helps when you run it through a nice tube amp, but I'm still not convinced. There have been a few times in the studio where I have had to convince the guitar player to play through a real piece instead of a modeler. Its easy to convince them that the modeler sucks unless they bought and paid for it.

Jim, are there any other guitar tips from mclaughlin you can share with us?
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Frankly, I'm always amazed that anyone can play through a modeler at all. I just can't connect with the sound when it comes out of a pair of monitors, no matter what. Maybe it's just a mental block, but I depend on that kick on the chest that you get with a real amp. The only exception to that is when I DI my ES-175 - but I don't run it through a modeler.

My guess is that someone like John McLaughlin has lugged enough amps and dealt with enough crappy rentals that he just doesn't feel the need to do it anymore. If he can get a sound out of a laptop that on 50%+ of the nights beats the junk he might otherwise be stuck with, then he's doing better. I guess it might even be possible that he prefers it.
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Frankly, I'm always amazed that anyone can play through a modeler at all. I just can't connect with the sound when it comes out of a pair of monitors, no matter what. Maybe it's just a mental block, but I depend on that kick on the chest that you get with a real amp. The only exception to that is when I DI my ES-175 - but I don't run it through a modeler.
Proper sound reinforcement is quite important to the recording process when using a modeler, in my opinion. You need to have the same elements of moving air and sympathetic vibration and resonance as you would get with a real amp, or the whole process feels dead. The first step is to reduce your latency by using appropriate supporting hardware. Step two is to ensure that your preamp/DI is well capturing your guitar's output for processing. Step three is that the software you're using models what goes on in a guitar amp's physical environment with as much accuracy as possible, and that you know how to take advantage of the program's capabilities. Step four is to ensure that for your end of the bargain you're giving the whole system the right space to work in, and that means ensuring that you have moving air and you know how to take advantage of it in relation to non-traditional means of amplifying the guitar signal. Good studio monitors ought to be able to handle it just fine, though it means getting closer to 90-95db program, minimum, if you're looking to start getting into natural-feeling feedback territory. If all of these conditions hold and you still don't like the results, modelers might not be for you, or you might be using the wrong one. However, as a split analog/digital guitarist I can say with whatever minor authority that gives me that I am as satisfied with my computer-based modeling rig as I am with my wonderful pedals&amps physical setup.
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
SSL UK

Ah Mclaughlin, the master.

Yes he does use a Roland cube these days with 5th dimension and One Peace Band. (Saw both last year )

Also the Floating point album contains a lot of guitar synth work which can be a bit hit and miss IMHO.

I actually prefer him on the nylon strung acoustic a la Festival Hall period.

However historically he always got grief for his sound particularly in the late 60's for using distortion, in the 70's for being way too loud (hey with Billy bashing away behind you what do you expect?) and in the 80's for using too much Reverb all the time. In the 90's everyone moaned he was only playing acoustic, and now everyone just moans in general.

However he must be the most innovative and fluid guitarist of the modern age. And if you reqally want to play check out his tutorial DVDs which will give you a lifetime (pun intended!) of work.

Sam
Solid State Logic
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by samw@SSL View Post
However historically he always got grief for his sound particularly in the late 60's for using distortion, in the 70's for being way too loud (hey with Billy bashing away behind you what do you expect?) and in the 80's for using too much Reverb all the time. In the 90's everyone moaned he was only playing acoustic, and now everyone just moans in general.
I don't think so. I love a lot of stuff that he has done and I'm not so keen on other things. But unlike Pat Metheny, Mc Laughlin never has developed a truly personal sound with guitar synths. Now you may or may not like Metheny's synth work (I like it in small doses) but you can't deny that the fact that you recognize him within two notes, same with Allan Holdsworth.

Jazz guitar is an incredibly difficult instrument to master and given that Mc Laughlin is also fluent in Indian styles and has written orchestrations his work is simply staggering in scope and influence and plain sheer beauty.

But I think that a lot of 'modern' jazz/fusion guitarists never really developed (or had time to to so) a truly distinguished SOUND, they might have truly distinctive STYLES (say Stern/Scofield) but for my sense of aesthetics a lot of the guitar sounds (especially Mike Stern but also Mc Laughlin on synth/MIDI and to a certain extent also Scofield) are rather bland. That's certainly something that is different in Rock/Blues/Americana and other genres, the sonics usually are as important as the actual notes being played.

The ultimate for me is somebody like Bill Frisell who has both a totally unique style AND a unique and engaging sound.
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Gear interested

live at the royal festval hall

Mad John,

I have that album too. It's absolutely fantastic. I also dig "Jack Johnson". I saw the McLaughlin trio on that tour (same lineup as the live disc). I really enjoyed McLaughlin, but Trilok Gurtu was stunning. What he did truly went beyond drums/percussion into a whole other realm. Back to that live disc, that such a great soundling record. I'd love to know more about how it was recorded.

-telehack
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed View Post
Proper sound reinforcement is quite important to the recording process when using a modeler, in my opinion. You need to have the same elements of moving air and sympathetic vibration and resonance as you would get with a real amp, or the whole process feels dead. The first step is to reduce your latency by using appropriate supporting hardware. Step two is to ensure that your preamp/DI is well capturing your guitar's output for processing. Step three is that the software you're using models what goes on in a guitar amp's physical environment with as much accuracy as possible, and that you know how to take advantage of the program's capabilities. Step four is to ensure that for your end of the bargain you're giving the whole system the right space to work in, and that means ensuring that you have moving air and you know how to take advantage of it in relation to non-traditional means of amplifying the guitar signal. Good studio monitors ought to be able to handle it just fine, though it means getting closer to 90-95db program, minimum, if you're looking to start getting into natural-feeling feedback territory. If all of these conditions hold and you still don't like the results, modelers might not be for you, or you might be using the wrong one. However, as a split analog/digital guitarist I can say with whatever minor authority that gives me that I am as satisfied with my computer-based modeling rig as I am with my wonderful pedals&amps physical setup.
What's so hard about using an amp? Personally I have learned that modelers are just a PITA to deal with. The so-called advantages vs. a real amp are backfiring because of the additional time needed for fiddling with the setup, reducing the latency and all that jazz. Yes, it might be less gear to schlepp around but is that the main factor?

And call me old-fashioned but I just DON'T want to see a laptop on stage used as a 'guitar amp', it's unsexy!!
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
Jim, are there any other guitar tips from mclaughlin you can share with us?
Another was his standard finger exercises. Walk the 4 fingers up the low "E" and move quickly with the next under or over pick to the next string and move on. Once you finish on high E move to position 2. Pick each note as cleanly as you can.
With practice you too can play Inner Mounting Flame! I learned a bunch of his chord inversions back then but have forgotten most of them by now.

Anyone up for a Mahavishnu re-union tour?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrade
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
What's so hard about using an amp? Personally I have learned that modelers are just a PITA to deal with. The so-called advantages vs. a real amp are backfiring because of the additional time needed for fiddling with the setup, reducing the latency and all that jazz. Yes, it might be less gear to schlepp around but is that the main factor?

And call me old-fashioned but I just DON'T want to see a laptop on stage used as a 'guitar amp', it's unsexy!!
If you've got a good studio computer and monitoring setup, you're already nearly there. Modelers allow much greater flexibility than a real setup, along with the possibility for completely non-destructive ITB editing of the tone at any point in the mix. Reamping is a process which takes time and has to be done on a take-by-take basis, while a modeler offers instant tweaking flexibility and all the other advantages of an ITB solution. Is it for everyone? No. For one thing, there's a learning curve to working with modelers that has to be overcome in order to be able to quickly make good sounding patches and achieve your sonic goals. You don't just fire up Guitar Rig 3, for example, and know automatically how to make a nested crossover series to split the signal at three points, feed each of those split signals into a different fuzz/overdrive, and then blend them evenly to run into an amp whose power section has been adjusted to stay cleaner longer but still get some good upper harmonics going. The capabilities of these programs require an investment of time which some people legitimately can't afford to invest, which some people simply aren't willing to invest, and which some people wouldn't even benefit from anyway because of the lack of one:one correlation with existing knowledge about mic'ing up and recording amps and resulting frustration.

But there are big rewards to becoming very familiar with modeler setups, if one is willing to climb the initials slope. Even then it isn't for everyone, of course.
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
With practice you too can play Inner Mounting Flame! I learned a bunch of his chord inversions back then but have forgotten most of them by now.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrade
My first drummer was a prodigy who came from a musical family and he could play all of the Mahavishnu stuff.
He MADE me learn lot's of those pieces.
This was in '73, '74, '75 and I was barely able to hang on for the ride.
It did teach me a lot of theory and modal stuff, but it also caused me to make a big jump over some "standard" guitar stuff I should have learned.

I was always able to "amaze" other players and people with things like "The Dance of Maya" and that even passed for my audition for a college level classical guitar course. The teacher was intrigued by the piece and I guess he figured that if I could learn that I could handle other stuff.
Hmmmmmmm..... I passed the courses..... it was hard.

Still, modelers don't really work for me.
Guys like Pete Anderson and John McLaughlin who use them get an "OK" tone, but it isn't the "real deal."

Personally I don't mind playing through only monitors with a mic'd and processed sound.
I am an engineer and player, so I am used to it.
Truthfully, it is hard for me to pay live through an amp because it all gets SO LOUD!
I just never feel totally in control with a band live.
I guess I need the control?
If the bass player is too loud I can turn that sumbitch down when I am in the control room playing!
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by telehack View Post
Mad John,

I have that album too. It's absolutely fantastic. I also dig "Jack Johnson". I saw the McLaughlin trio on that tour (same lineup as the live disc). I really enjoyed McLaughlin, but Trilok Gurtu was stunning. What he did truly went beyond drums/percussion into a whole other realm. Back to that live disc, that such a great soundling record. I'd love to know more about how it was recorded.

-telehack
I agree with you telehack! "Royal Festival Hall" is Mclaughlin's BEST modern record IMHO. One of the great recordings of all time in fact. So elegant and fiery!

Jim, I can't imagine John these days with a double neck penis and a large white draping gown singing "Are You The One?" Those were great intense fusion days back in the 1970's and it is sad in a way that this great era is long gone! Thank goodness we have the recordings of that time!

You know I am a big Frank Zappa fan and have all of his recordings, but recently much of his material annoys me (I just like the music and not the crazy Iron Sausage stuff or endless talking...just shut up and play yer guitar) so much of it is plain annoying shtick. Can't argue with the Mother's material or Joe's Garage (his best satire next to "Were Only In It For The Money.")
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

oh man . . . it is REALLY horrible to think he is now playing through a modeling program OR a Roland Cube! I saw the original Mahavishnu Orchestra in early 70s . . . the tone he got was intense. If Jeff Beck ever goes on tour playing through a laptop, that will be it for me. Can you imagine Hendrix playing through a laptop and a modeling program? Has the world gone crazy or just lazy? 'Ease of use' is now the norm, not what is the highest quality. Mediocrity is winning. It's really sad to me.
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Banned

There is one good thing in his playing through a Roland Cube...

I guess he hasn't lost his hearing!
How loud can a Cube be?
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

*smile* . . true . . . but nor would an amp off stage cranked for tone . . . routed through the monitors. Or for God's sake a better small amp then a Cube! MANY options rather then a laptop and a modeling program or a Roland Cube. I met the guy a couple times . . . very nice guy . . . so I certainly hate saying anything negative. It's obviously his call . . he certainly has nothing to prove to me or anyone. He has certainly made his mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
There is one good thing in his playing through a Roland Cube...

I guess he hasn't lost his hearing!
How loud can a Cube be?
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I was amazed when I saw Return to Forever last summer. I do not think there is any hope of seeing the Mahavishnu Orchestra. However, I will be seeing John McLaughlin and Chick Corea with the Five Peace Band this spring. It's really too bad that Joe Zawinul is no longer with us. Wouldn't it have been great to have been able to see the big three of fusion one last time?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search