BEST PC Analog to Digtal Conveters?
New Reply
Subscribe
Skorch Trakz
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Banned

BEST PC Analog to Digtal Conveters?

whats THE BEST A/D converters for PC for tracking. i heard Apogee works really good with Macs but what about Pc?

How can you tell a good converter. Does it have to record up to 192khz to be considered a good converter or people go by sound?

how are the Fireface 400-800 series? Hows M-Audio converters. I heard mixed reviews. some say its absoultely Crap. some say they are good.
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Gear addict

The Lavry AD10 is awesome. Best I've heard
Skorch Trakz
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
Banned

What are some of the best Audio Interfaces that are compatible with Protools? Is M-Audio only one making interfaces compatible to Digi PT? but seem like i almost hear everyone not liking M-Audio stuff sayin its crap. lol

what you guys think of M-Audio Profire 2626

iS Apogee AD units compatabile with Protools being ran on PC?
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

What's the budget? I could just recommend to you a Prism ADA-8XR with the Pro Tools HD outputs. Lynx's Aurora is one of the best values in converters and offers an HD as an option. Finally, there's iZ Radar, which finally is available as a straightforward ADDA.

If you're not stuck on PT, you can look at Mytek's stuff (there's some good comparison clips between their equipment on their website), Benchmark, and Lavry (the Blue is a solid modular system, or you could go Black).

Btw, 192KHz may just be a marketing device...due to sampling theory (Nyquist frequency) and the range of human hearing there are no benefits sampling at that rate (try reading this). If I were you, I would want to hear some blind A/B tests at both frequencies with a single converter to see if you'd be able to guess.
Skorch Trakz
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
Banned

man that prism 8xR like 12 grand. i aint got Dre Dre money yet playboy L O L
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorch Trakz View Post
man that prism 8xR like 12 grand. i aint got Dre Dre money yet playboy L O L
You asked for the BEST right???????

You need to give us a PRICE range my mayne.

First thing is first. Youve already stated your on PC so thats done
***Next is What DAW are you going to use???

1. How many channels do you need for Input and Output? 8, 16, 24, 32 etc
2. What type of connection do you want?? MADI, AES, PCI, FW, USB ?
3. Whats the highest sample rate you need?? 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'm using a tc konnect 8 and its better than m-audio stuff if its around the price range you're looking for. There was a shoot-out here some time ago don't know if the files are still there but results were very close (duet was slightly better).
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
What are some of the best Audio Interfaces that are compatible with Protools? Is M-Audio only one making interfaces compatible to Digi PT? but seem like i almost hear everyone not liking M-Audio stuff sayin its crap. lol

what you guys think of M-Audio Profire 2626

iS Apogee AD units compatabile with Protools being ran on PC?
You have TWO lines to run Protools on the non-HD stuff

1. DIGI
2. M-Audio

M-Audio Profire 2626 is a good sounding box, not to mention it gives you Two ADAT ports so you can hook up any other 8 channel convertor to it you want. Yes you can hook up an Apogee to it for better conversion. You would run Protools M-Powered version of Protools. This box will allow you to run any other DAW you want as well in addition to Protools. Im SURE the M-Audio Profire 2626 sounds better than my DIGI 002rack
Skorch Trakz
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
You asked for the BEST right???????

You need to give us a PRICE range my mayne.

First thing is first. Youve already stated your on PC so thats done
***Next is What DAW are you going to use???

1. How many channels do you need for Input and Output? 8, 16, 24, 32 etc
2. What type of connection do you want?? MADI, AES, PCI, FW, USB ?
3. Whats the highest sample rate you need?? 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192
im still deciding on DAW i heavily prefer Protools LE. i think the only Audio interface compatible with that is Mbox2 or 002-003 seroes right? All M-Audio you mentioned is only compatible with M-Powered versions??

1) Channels. can be anywhere from 2 ins to 8 or 16 if they are quality. i rather buy 2 quality conveters vs 16 crappy ones.

2) Connections. USB or Firewire. I heard firewire is better. Whatever works. What do you suggest?

3) whats a good sample rate to record at to get the best possible sound for hiphop. 88.2?

Can you bypass the Mic Pre on Mbox2 and use an external Pre? And just use it for a Converter into your DAW?
What you think of the Black Lion 002-003. are they worth the extra money for modification?
Skorch Trakz
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
Banned

1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

Pro Tools HD is what the Pros actually use. The track count isn't restricted, and there are no truncated features. The differences can be found at their website and discussed briefly in this review.

Btw, a nice article on engineers and the converters they use.

As for the Digidesign converters you mentioned...you'll probably want to get a good quality clock (Black Lion Microclock, Apogee Big Ben, Antelope Audio OCX) in order to make the most of them (otherwise the sound will be fairly fuzzy). IMHO, those interfaces are overkill, as again you aren't going to need that many inputs.

Recording rappers, assuming you aren't doing multiple rappers at once, will need at most two mike inputs. And unless you plan on analog summing, you'll only need a stereo output (split up so you can hear yourself when you drop knowledge).

To be honest, Pro Tools isn't as beat friendly as Ableton Live or as good with MIDI as Sonar (though that is supposed to have been improved as of late), so not going with Pro Tools may not be a problem. In that case, you can save yourself a lot of money and get a Lynx L22 (~$600). You can later upgrade what converters you use by getting external converters like Lavry Blacks and Mytek Stereo 96s. Until then, use the money you save to make an isolation booth, add bass traps, or get a subwoofer.

On a side note: Maybe it's a bit late, but if a moderator can move this to the hip-hop production forum, that would be best.
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

Blackface Adat. Their Quality is second to none! I also like them for their tape sound! GT.
Skorch Trakz
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
Banned

fast thanks for the breakdown. here is the part i dont understand.

m-audio profire2626 has 26 i/o and is so cheap. like 400-500 bucks cost almost as much as mbox 2 which as 4 i/o. digidesign 003 rack has 8 i/0 if im not mistaking but cost 3x times as much.

why is the 003 so expensive vs m-audio? better pres? better converters? what am i missing? is there a catch buyin the m-audio profire? i wouldnt mind goin from PT Le to M-Powered if there is no sound quality difference betwen the two.

why is digidesign costing 3x4 times more than m-audio stuff. whats the catch?
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Fingers View Post
Finally, there's iZ Radar

I'm so hoping you are the Fast Fingers made famous in a certain diary
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
fast thanks for the breakdown. here is the part i dont understand.

m-audio profire2626 has 26 i/o and is so cheap. like 400-500 bucks cost almost as much as mbox 2 which as 4 i/o. digidesign 003 rack has 8 i/0 if im not mistaking but cost 3x times as much.

why is the 003 so expensive vs m-audio? better pres? better converters? what am i missing? is there a catch buyin the m-audio profire? i wouldnt mind goin from PT Le to M-Powered if there is no sound quality difference betwen the two.

why is digidesign costing 3x4 times more than m-audio stuff. whats the catch?
Brand name, component costs (A/D chips can be quite expensive), and complexity of the machine add to the price. There are other manufacturing costs (whether it's in China or at an obscenely large scale *cough*Behringer) that may favor in. Honestly, it may be best to hear both units at a music store to see if you can tell the difference.

And as for M Powered vs LE, I'm guessing the difference is in this pdf. I think it has to do with video...

And FeatheredSerpeant, please PM me with a Wiki article or link to that diary.
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
Gear maniac

SSL Alpha Link + Mixpander or Madi Xtreme will do u just fine.
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent View Post
I'm so hoping you are the Fast Fingers made famous in a certain diary
Finghaz parka smells like pee.
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
how about protools HD? whats the difference between these units.. how are their converters? is it worth the investment? check these 2

96 i/o
Digidesign | Products | Products | 96 I/O

96i i/o
Digidesign | Products | Products | 96i I/O

just curious what this is? Digidesign Pro Tools HD Accel PCI Card ProTools - eBay (item 130284846200 end time Feb-06-09 17:28:03 PST)
I think it's safe to say you can forget about PT HD for now....if you don't "know" you need it, you don't need it. Plus you've already said you don't have the money for it.

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel, and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Samantha Jade, Di-Rect (Dutch #1), etc
13th February 2009
Old 13th February 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
You have TWO lines to run Protools on the non-HD stuff

1. DIGI
2. M-Audio

M-Audio Profire 2626 is a good sounding box, not to mention it gives you Two ADAT ports so you can hook up any other 8 channel convertor to it you want. Yes you can hook up an Apogee to it for better conversion. You would run Protools M-Powered version of Protools. This box will allow you to run any other DAW you want as well in addition to Protools. Im SURE the M-Audio Profire 2626 sounds better than my DIGI 002rack
this is all very interesting...but I have a question regarding the lightpipe connection from the rosetta 200 to the profire 2626...would I get all 8 of my simultaneous record tracks to be converted through the rosetta 200 or just 2 of them? if only 2 would I need the rosetta 800 to get all 8?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search