M-audio profire 2626 vs focusrite saffire pro 40
dialectic
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

M-audio profire 2626 vs focusrite saffire pro 40

I am currently looking at getting a new interface and after reading various posts and gaining feedback from a previous thread i was seriously concidering the M-Audio Profire 2626.

However, i have recent discovered the Focusrite Pro 40 which seems to have the same features and falls into the same kinda price range, just wondered which of the 2 you would consider the better buy and why?
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear maniac

dialectic
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daal View Post
May want to look here if not alreay done :

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ml#post3841404
Thanks for the link but had already checked it out. thumbsup

Some good info on the pro 40 but ideally would now like some feedback on how it directly compares to the profire 2626.

However, you have now prompted me to drop a post on that thread too.
dialectic
25th January 2009
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

Bumpety bump...

So, any opinions...anyone? Focusrite or M-Audio?
25th January 2009
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

I've been fooling around with the idea of getting a 2626 but I didn't realize that Focusrite had basically the same feature unit. The only thing I can say is that I had a Focusrite Trakmaster Pro and boy did it suck. Don't know if I just had a bogus one or what. So I hope the preamps aren't based on the platinum series. On the other hand, just about everything else they make is tits. I like the ISA line. Actually, this is even less money than the 2626. I'm gonna check into it some more.
dialectic
26th January 2009
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Poop View Post
I've been fooling around with the idea of getting a 2626 but I didn't realize that Focusrite had basically the same feature unit. The only thing I can say is that I had a Focusrite Trakmaster Pro and boy did it suck. Don't know if I just had a bogus one or what. So I hope the preamps aren't based on the platinum series. On the other hand, just about everything else they make is tits. I like the ISA line. Actually, this is even less money than the 2626. I'm gonna check into it some more.
One difference that i have noticed between the two is that is seems the 2626 has a pad function on all 8 inpputs where as the pro 40 only offers a pad on inputs 1 & 2.
26th January 2009
Old 26th January 2009
Gear maniac

That's right for the pro 40.
27th January 2009
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

Anyone know what preamps are in the Saffire Pro 40?
7th October 2009
Old 7th October 2009
Lives for gear

I am currently considering adding a 8 mic/line interface with ADAT standalone capability. These two units were basically what I came up with in my price range. Any one have any insight on either? Anything great or crappy about either?

Thanks!
7th October 2009
Old 7th October 2009
Gear maniac

Loving my profire 2626. preamps are very usable and the dsp mixer is a HUGE help! It's built well, sounds good, and is REALLY cheap for the money. Check ebay for deals! I got mine for $500!

I'm pretty sure this is like my 5th post about this interface, I love it!
7th October 2009
Old 7th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basskater87 View Post
Loving my profire 2626. preamps are very usable and the dsp mixer is a HUGE help! It's built well, sounds good, and is REALLY cheap for the money. Check ebay for deals! I got mine for $500!

I'm pretty sure this is like my 5th post about this interface, I love it!
Have you used it as a standalone 8 pre module? This as easy as it seems to do?
7th October 2009
Old 7th October 2009
Gear maniac

Another thumbs up for the profire 2626

I have had a couple of M-audio cards over the years and they were always ok but nothing special. My profire is as solid as rock and being able to run pro tools is a massive benefit as well, this has to be the best interface M-audio has built by a country mile.

The preamps as basskater87 has mentioned are very useable, converters sound nice, and a big big plus for me was the ability to bypass the profire pre's so I can use a separate pre like a great river or in my case SCA, and this will then go straight to the converters. I am not sure if you can do this with the saffire.
7th October 2009
Old 7th October 2009
Gear maniac

haven't gotten the chance to use as a standalone yet, but it seems like it would be easy....
23rd May 2011
Old 23rd May 2011
Gear interested

I own the Saffire Pro 40 and I love it. I was contemplating getting the ProFire 2626 at the time I purchased the Pro 40 but as you can see I went with the Focusrite. The differences in the two units are, I feel like the Pre's in the Saffire are slightly better ,in my opinion, but the saffire supports 24 bit 96k recording while the Profire supports 24 bit 196k. There are only pads on the first two channels of the Focusrite, and on the profire they are on all of the channels, not really a big deal, alot of nice microphones have in-line pads built in. Also the Profire has wordclock out which isn't a huge deal either since you can clock through ADAT toslink which is included in both of the units.

If you ever decided to upgrade out of the Profire 2626 to another unit, that also supports ADAT toslink (lightpipe whatever), you can use it as an additional 8 channels of I/O and you can't with the saffire. You can add 8 channels to the saffire but it can't be an additional eight channles to something else.

I thought the Saffire was a much better buy for the money, I love it and the mix control software is very easy to learn, just watch a few youtube videos about it. Its nice, I have presets for reamping and it is GREAT!!!
24th May 2011
Old 24th May 2011
Gear Head

one of the best features about the 2626, is the ability to bypass the preamps via 1/4" inputs. I have some API and other 500 series preamps and can bypass the built in preamps, sounds great.

EDIT: Barney, didnt see your post... same thing! ha
3rd October 2011
Old 3rd October 2011
Gear interested

latency.... hmmmm...

Did anyone bother to compare the latency? Check DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking (they did a nice comparison featured in Sound on Sound. Anyway, as you'll see, the Profire blows the Saffire away and is really on par w/ $2000 interfaces as far as latency goes.
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Profire can run M-Powered. Thats why I ordered mine :D
28th December 2011
Old 28th December 2011
Gear Head

If you ever decided to upgrade out of the Profire 2626 to another unit, that also supports ADAT toslink (lightpipe whatever), you can use it as an additional 8 channels of I/O and you can't with the saffire. You can add 8 channels to the saffire but it can't be an additional eight channles to something else.

I got my Saffire pro 40 last week. I'm running it in standalone mode connected to the M-audio Project Mix. It's working fine
28th December 2011
Old 28th December 2011
Gear Head

Haven't posted here in years. Just forgot hot to quote.
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

Just did a session with 16 line inputs from a Midas board into my Profire 2626 / ADA8000.

It was a live band playing in a bar. It turned out good.

Recorded into PT m powered, on a MacBook pro. No external drive.

I was surprised that the Profire line inputs completely bypass the preamps. I didn't realize I couldn't use the trim on the knob for leveling. But it all worked great
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear interested
I have had repeated driver problems with both the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and a Scarlett 2i2 (the summation of my conversation with Focusrite is that they can't guarantee functionality if I'm using more than 1 interface, the others being an 828 and an FP10, and then the writer told me that Firewire might not be able to handle more than 8 channels!?!?). I "emphatically" talk people out of buying Focusrite interfaces at this point. Personally, I'm going to try a 2626 next, as soon as I sell this Saffire...
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Guru

I have a Profire 2626 that I use for remote recording. I have an additional 8 channels via ADAT currently connected to it.

It works great. One day at a classical gig, I forgot the cables from my fancy outboard preamp to the Profire, so I had to use the onboard preamps. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice and clean they sounded. No complaints.

I researched this pretty hard before I bought it. I was also looking seriously the Saffire but at the time I had a brand new mac and the Saffire was not yet compatible with drivers or something.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

My experience is based on the Profire 610 which I think is basically a stripped down version of the 2626. I have been a big fan of M-Audio since my first delta card,however the Saffire just plain sounds better. The 610 sounded thinner and had a strange 100hz mud thing to it,at least to my ears. I have been using a Saffire Pro 40 for about a yr and I could not recommend it highly enough. Very stable and nice sounding.

fb
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search