Protools busses stopped working
Old 8th January 2009
Gear maniac

Protools busses stopped working

I am running PT HD and I'm in the middle of a mixing session. I pulled up a song, and there was obvious dly compensation issues... I changed the Dly Comp Engine setting to "Long" and closed/reopened session to find out all I could hear were the tracks sent to the master fader (not bussed to anything other than the main LR). I rebooted and reopened, no change. I changed one track (snare top) from Bus 1-2 to the Main LR and I can hear it, but if I bus it anywhere else, nothing. That happens with all tracks.

Has anyone experienced this or have suggestions on how to fix it? I don't think this mix will come together with just bass and reverb... who knows, maybe so.
Old 8th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistervenable View Post
I am running PT HD and I'm in the middle of a mixing session. I pulled up a song, and there was obvious dly compensation issues... I changed the Dly Comp Engine setting to "Long" and closed/reopened session to find out all I could hear were the tracks sent to the master fader (not bussed to anything other than the main LR). I rebooted and reopened, no change. I changed one track (snare top) from Bus 1-2 to the Main LR and I can hear it, but if I bus it anywhere else, nothing. That happens with all tracks.

Has anyone experienced this or have suggestions on how to fix it? I don't think this mix will come together with just bass and reverb... who knows, maybe so.

Are the busses greyed out?

Picture maybe?
Old 8th January 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 View Post
Are the busses greyed out?

Picture maybe?
No, nothing's inactive or greyed out. I checked the I/O settings and it looks fine.
Old 8th January 2009
CT1
Gear nut

Happens to me quite a bit on the ICON, I usually just run the "ProTools Prefs and Database Helper" and then reboot and i'm good.
Old 8th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Happens to me quite a bit on the ICON, I usually just run the "ProTools Prefs and Database Helper" and then reboot and i'm good.
Very odd.... no problems like that here on 14+ ICON systems....
Old 8th January 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Just ran it, rebooted... no luck. Sheesh.
Old 8th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just ran it, rebooted... no luck. Sheesh.

How many voices are you using? What are your playback engine settings?

What does the session set-up window say?
Old 8th January 2009
CT1
Gear nut

Quote:
Very odd.... no problems like that here on 14+ ICON systems....
hmm... Do you ever have the problem of the ICON's trackball and keyboard not working when you boot up or reboot? Happens to me about 1 in 10 times and is really annoying.
Old 8th January 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
How many voices are you using? What are your playback engine settings?

What does the session set-up window say?
H/W Buffer: 2048 samples
RTAS Processors: 2
CPU Usage Limit: 85%
RTAS Engine ignore errors: unchecked
Number of Voices: 96 (2DSPs)
Sample Rate: 48kHz
Dly Compensation: Short
DAE Playback buffer size: Level 4 (Requires 116MB, I have 125MB allocated)
Old 8th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
hmm... Do you ever have the problem of the ICON's trackball and keyboard not working when you boot up or reboot? Happens to me about 1 in 10 times and is really annoying.
On one of the D-Controls we had one the mouse intermittently stop working... just replaced the USB cable and all was well..
Old 8th January 2009
Quote:
H/W Buffer: 2048 samples
RTAS Processors: 2
CPU Usage Limit: 85%
RTAS Engine ignore errors: unchecked
Number of Voices: 96 (2DSPs)
Sample Rate: 48kHz
Dly Compensation: Short
DAE Playback buffer size: Level 4 (Requires 116MB, I have 125MB allocated)
Trash the Digidesign Databases if that doesn't work then run the PTools diagnostic.

My guess its one of the PCI cards might have gone bad.
Old 8th January 2009
Gear addict

Quote:

Have you tried going into your session file backups folder to a version of your session before you changed your delay comp settings ? just a thought - might rule out hardware problems.

good luck DD
Old 8th January 2009
rcn
Gear nut

I've seen this before..Delete the buss track then add a new one, should work..
Old 8th January 2009
Gear maniac

Thanks everyone, I'm not sure what's going on.... I increased to 3 DSPs and it works now... but, there aren't that many voices being used, so I am not sure what's up. I am well below 96 voices.

Hmmm...

Thanks anyway!
Old 8th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I'm not sure what's going on.... I increased to 3 DSPs and it works now... but, there aren't that many voices being used, so I am not sure what's up. I am well below 96 voices.

Hmmm...

Thanks anyway!
Are you using a combination of RTAS processors and TDM processors on the same track? This can quickly multiply your voice load if you are not careful.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search