Login / Register
 
M-Audio Profire 2626 - Anything better for the price?
New Reply
Subscribe
dialectic
Thread Starter
#1
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,058

Thread Starter
dialectic is offline
M-Audio Profire 2626 - Anything better for the price?

I am currently looking at getting an Audio/MIDI interface that I can use with my desktop PC in conjuction with various hardware/outboard and occationally for use with my laptop when on the move.

I am considering the M-Audio Profire 2626 which seems to fit the bill but is there anything else that competes with this unit in that price range (looking a budget of around £350)?


Basically looking for something that offers:
  • Good converters
  • Low/zero latency
  • MIDI connection
  • Intergration with both my desktop PC and laptop.
  • ADAT input/outputs
  • Ideally 8 analoge inputs though not crucial as i can always use the channels on my analogue desk and incorporate an AD/DA convertor and connect this to the ADAT inputs of the audio interface.
Any feedback on the 2626 or suggestions for an alternative would be greatly appreciated.
#2
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
rackdude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Orange County, CA or Oberlin, OH
Posts: 1,752

rackdude is offline
I went alittle higher and got a Yamaha N12. Beats the crap out of the Profire. If you need the ADAT the MR816.
__________________
Just having fun!
#3
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Sugarnutz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Lake Cormorant, MS
Posts: 820

Sugarnutz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialectic View Post
I am currently looking at getting an Audio/MIDI interface that I can use with my desktop PC in conjuction with various hardware/outboard and occationally for use with my laptop when on the move.

I am considering the M-Audio Profire 2626 which seems to fit the bill but is there anything else that competes with this unit in that price range (looking a budget of around £350)?


Basically looking for something that offers:
  • Good converters
  • Low/zero latency
  • MIDI connection
  • Intergration with both my desktop PC and laptop.
  • ADAT input/outputs
  • Ideally 8 analoge inputs though not crucial as i can always use the channels on my analogue desk and incorporate an AD/DA convertor and connect this to the ADAT inputs of the audio interface.
Any feedback on the 2626 or suggestions for an alternative would be greatly appreciated.
As posted above the N12 might be a nice piece of kit, but the 2626 will do one thing that the N12 won't do... PROTOOLS! You really need to get a 2626 and PT 8 M-Powered. Sure it's limited to 48 tracks, but it's 48 mono or stereo @ 96 KHz. The Steiny stuff will get dumped from the line like everything else they have ever made hardware wise and Yamaha will have something better down the line leaving the N12 a forgotten relic. But.... you will still be able to download your Protools software/drivers for years to come and you will be compatible with most pro studios. My first PT LE rig was a Digi 001 running PT LE 6.1, it paid for itself the first week I had it just doing editing. The 2626 sounds really good, it ain't no Apogee or Aurora but what do you expect at this price point.

Again the main advantage is when some band calls and asks: "Do you have Protools?" you can say "YES!" You could actually get three 2626's and have 24 pretty damn good analog I/O @ 44.1/48 KHz running one to the computer and the other two in standalone mode or just two for 16 analog I/O @ 88.2/96 KHz. The N12 with Cubase LE is a home project rig (not really trying to dis the N12, but my custom 18 input Spectrasonics console will piss on it from a great height as Geoff Tanner once said), the 2626 can get you closer to a real studio by using it with a real console, which is what I am doing.
__________________
My standard response to all questions and requests for an opinion:

"I'll have to check with my Dad about that one. He knows everything, Mom says he's a Know-It-All."
#4
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
  #4
Gear maniac
 
kojak's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 250

kojak is offline
I'm always baffled by the way Digi cuts the nuts off their users right out of the gate by limiting track count...why not just let the power of the computer running the software determine the max track count (as will naturally happen anyway) and not seem like you're limiting your users, as some kind of tax just so they can tell people they're running the mighty PT.

Get a decent interface that fits your needs, then get Sonar or Cubase or Live and not worry about something as trivial as track count.
#5
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
  #5
Gear nut
 
demaarten's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 102

demaarten is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude View Post
I went alittle higher and got a Yamaha N12. Beats the crap out of the Profire. If you need the ADAT the MR816.
I was looking for the profire 2626 when I stumbled upon the mr816.

I have a few questions that maybe you could answer.

Can you use 2 mr816's to have 16 analoge Inputs and outputs?

does one unit is used as standalone or do you connect the 2 with firewire?

I don't use Pro tools, so the mr816 is better i think. But is the AD DA quality really a lot better?

do you have a decent monitor section (no digital volume controll, but analoge pod)

Thanx
#6
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
  #6
Gear addict
 
weezul's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon-Tyne
Posts: 428

weezul is offline
happy user of the ProFire and Pro Tools 8 here.. just wrapping up a crazy folk-style album i've been doing, and its sounding lush and is more stable on Vista/PT8 than it was on XP/7.4. I was on an Mbox 2 mini before so naturally everything sounds a large step up to me !
__________________
http://www.liamgaughan.com
#7
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
DivineMusic's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Hotlanta
Posts: 2,120

Send a message via Yahoo to DivineMusic
DivineMusic is offline
the m-audio 2626 is less half the price of the n12... sound wise... there int a huge difference.
i feel the n12's pres are better but thats it.
the 2626 only cost 599 and its worth a hell of a lot more
__________________
DivineMusic 2-23-07 ppl wanna praise protools like its the best thing since pu$$y fuuck
#8
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
rackdude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Orange County, CA or Oberlin, OH
Posts: 1,752

rackdude is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by demaarten View Post
I was looking for the profire 2626 when I stumbled upon the mr816.

I have a few questions that maybe you could answer.

Can you use 2 mr816's to have 16 analoge Inputs and outputs?

does one unit is used as standalone or do you connect the 2 with firewire?

I don't use Pro tools, so the mr816 is better i think. But is the AD DA quality really a lot better?

do you have a decent monitor section (no digital volume controll, but analoge pod)

Thanx
You can daisy chain 3 with full functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
As posted above the N12 might be a nice piece of kit, but the 2626 will do one thing that the N12 won't do... PROTOOLS! You really need to get a 2626 and PT 8 M-Powered. Sure it's limited to 48 tracks, but it's 48 mono or stereo @ 96 KHz. The Steiny stuff will get dumped from the line like everything else they have ever made hardware wise and Yamaha will have something better down the line leaving the N12 a forgotten relic. But.... you will still be able to download your Protools software/drivers for years to come and you will be compatible with most pro studios. My first PT LE rig was a Digi 001 running PT LE 6.1, it paid for itself the first week I had it just doing editing. The 2626 sounds really good, it ain't no Apogee or Aurora but what do you expect at this price point.

Again the main advantage is when some band calls and asks: "Do you have Protools?" you can say "YES!" You could actually get three 2626's and have 24 pretty damn good analog I/O @ 44.1/48 KHz running one to the computer and the other two in standalone mode or just two for 16 analog I/O @ 88.2/96 KHz. The N12 with Cubase LE is a home project rig (not really trying to dis the N12, but my custom 18 input Spectrasonics console will piss on it from a great height as Geoff Tanner once said), the 2626 can get you closer to a real studio by using it with a real console, which is what I am doing.
For Pro Tools and on-the-go-editing for anything, I just use an M-audio transit. That's if I REALLY want to edit in Pro Tools...





Here's the thing, if you plan on really having enough money to add on a bunch of extra converters and extra preamps, maybe the 2626 will be better. But if you want a box that will just sound great, the MR816 would be a better bet for just a bit more. Look back at the MR816 vs Profire 2626 thread for more details. Still, the N12 is useful in a studio for it's effects and preamps plus it's wet monitoring, talkback, routing to multiple monitors etc even if you upgrade to something else, so it is a long run safe bet for something that is always useful and sounds great. It can even work as a standalone mixer. The Profire does have more digital i/o though, but to really make good use of that to sound better than the MR816, you have to spend a lot for great converters, which would get expensive. So, they're both great in my opinion, just different: MR816 is a better single box in my opinion though (but I don't like it's expandability... the N12 is a safer bet because it is useful standalone!!!). Do remember the N12 doesn't have digital in's though, so as I said, different expandability options.
dialectic
Thread Starter
#9
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,058

Thread Starter
dialectic is offline
Thanks for all your post so far.

A few of you here have recomended the Yamaha N12 and Yamaha/Steinberg MR816 and although these units seems to offer some great features, I'm not sure if they would be the best option for me for the following reasons.





The yamaha N12:
  • It seems that this unit offers no ADAT inputs which the Profire 2626 does include
  • As well as the chosen interface being used with my desktop computer I also need something that i could use with a laptop when on the move and therefore the N12 would not be appropriate.
  • I dont really require an interface in a mixer format (although the N12 does seem quite impressive) as i do have an analogue desk that i can use in conjunction with my selected interface.
  • Some of you have mentioned how the pres on the N12 are more superior to those on the 2626. Although quality pres are a factor in my choice of interface, most of my work will be in my studio where i can use a dedicated hardware pre for the best part of my work.
  • I have found the 2626 currently going for £350 where as the N12 is around £880.
Steinberg/Yamaha MR816
  • Does this offer MIDI connections?
  • Again, the 2626 is currently available for £350 where the MR816 is an additional £200. Given the points that i have previously mentioned would i really benefit from spending that extra £200?
M-Audio Profire 2626 Users...

Those of you that have used the 2626 and are singing its praises, what are you using - PC/Mac, Desktop/Laptop, What specs, what software are you running etc?


Thanks again.
#10
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
  #10
Gear addict
 
weezul's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon-Tyne
Posts: 428

weezul is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialectic View Post
Thanks for all your post so far.


Those of you that have used the 2626 and are singing its praises, what are you using - PC/Mac, Desktop/Laptop, What specs, what software are you running etc?


Thanks again.
PC, on a Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz, Windows Vista, 3GB Ram, Pro Tools 8, with a few Waves plugs, Superior Drummer, Reason, MelodyneBridge etc.. has been working really nicely as I say for my latest project album. The only thing I haven't really used is the cue mixer as I don't have the space to be tracking a full band at the moment. I guess this is a key feature but as far as i can tell, it looks pretty flexible for when the time comes. I did arm as many tracks as I could in pro tools (i think it was 18) and it recorded for a good few minutes with no hiccups
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Matterbator / Low End Theory
34
russellwolff / So much gear, so little time!
7
Jesusfreak999777 / Geekslutz forum
13
Say Ocean / Low End Theory
1

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.