MA5

BAE 312

A designs

Blue

Red

Gold

Pacifica

Jensen twin servo.

I would think the cleanest one right? I mean they all sound good in different ways but i want to stay as true to the source as possible.
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

If those were the choices I had, I'd use the JDI for the DI and then the MA5 to record the mic'd signal from the bass cab. Typically, I use a Radial JDI for the DI and a BAE 1073 for the mic'd signal. I use a vintage AKG D12e on the bass cab mic'ing one of the 10" speakers. Big, fat, warm sound.
Nu-tra
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Thanks Joshua,

What I meant was what preamp would you use to track the DI only to reamp the bass amp later. JDI through millenia?
nas
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
nas
Lives for gear

the Jensen twin servo is phenomenal and would be pretty much my first choice for anything (it might even be a little overkill). Definitely has the depth and punch for a killer bass sound (either mic'd , D.I. or both)
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

I think he said MA5 because it's the closest thing to a Neve you've got. From my limited choice of API, Joe Meek & Neve Portico, I prefer a JDI into the Portico for probably very similar reasons.

I find the Portico (on the Silk setting, which is supposed to be in the direction of 1073) adds some very desirable harmonics that help a bass sit right.

I can understand your question - theoretically, if you want to reamp as close as possible to the original pickup into the amp, then the cleanest preamp you've got might make sense. But imo, reamping is never the same. It Will be different; it Can be better. And chances are great that you will prefer more of the DI sound than the amp sound, so personally I would go with what sounds best. JDI into a Neve seems good to me.

But since you have the options - why not try them all and tell us all about it?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search