How to buy a Neumann U87
New Reply
Subscribe
rowan wood
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear maniac

How to buy a Neumann U87

I am going to buy a U87. There are different varieties and one can buy this mic used or new.

Here are my questions:

1. Guitar center sells them for $3,200. I have seen them selling for $1,900 new on Ebay. Is the Guitar Center mark-up massive or are the Ebay sales rip-offs?

2. What are the differences in sound that I will get from different varieties?

3. How can one safely buy a used U87 in Los Angeles?

4. How much should I pay for a new mic and how much should one pay for a used U87?

thanks mates!
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

1. guitar center's price is marked up for sure! i bought mine new ( AI set z with shockmount/box/cable) for around 2200/2300. can't remember exact price but can let you know where to get em cheap if you pm me.

2. the older 87's do sound different than the AI. some/alot like the older ones better but unless you can demo it yourself or trust the seller i wouldn't recommend taking a chance on a used one.

3. easily! there are thousands of 87's in LA. demo and find one you like.

4. see above for new. used depends on the seller and the condition of the mic.

check vintage king also, they usually have some used 87's.
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear interested

GC will come down in price. At the time I bought mine the lowest price I could find was $2,195. I took that price into GC and they matched it. You'll need a manager to be able to drop it that far though.
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Don't buy a new 87! Buy an older one, either from a reputable dealer, or build in the cost of having a pro go through it. Either way you'll have a much better mic than a new one...
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Where are you guys finding NEW 87s for $2200..??
rowan wood
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear maniac

cool. thanks guys:

1. can someone vouch for Vintage King as being totally reliable?

2. how much should I pay for a used mic?

3. if the old ones sound better, how old should I go?
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

a new u87 for $2200??
have you looked on eBay? I think they are available for about that.
If you are going to buy a new one, do it soon, the whole product line is going up in price!!!

Just like everything else I guess.....
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Banned

My brother in law got a new U87 from GC for $2200 .

Used $1,700 to $1,900 .

Don't be so scared to buy used . Buying used Music gear is the way to go .

If I were you I'd get a Pearlman TM1 , they're $1,600 , Pearlman Microphones - TM - 1

Dave is in LA so you can go check out his mics in person .
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009

Here are some:
(2) Neumann U87 vintage OG battery
Neumann U87AI With Shockmount

Buying an 87 is a simple buy, plus they are tanks. I think the guy who's selling to 2 old ones is a gearslut named Jimmy. I bought a mid 80's one from vcode and have been very happy. Actually shoot vcode a GS PM he always has good s**t for sale and he's a great guy in Hollywood.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy View Post
Where are you guys finding NEW 87s for $2200..??
I don't know if you get that price now. I bought mine about 5 years ago. I just kept seaching the web and Zzound put them on sale. GC matched it so I bought it from them as I wanted to buy local.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karetaker View Post
I don't know if you get that price now. I bought mine about 5 years ago. I just kept seaching the web and Zzound put them on sale. GC matched it so I bought it from them as I wanted to buy local.
i got mine last year for right around there. it's up to the dealer as to how much they want to profit off of the sale.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear maniac

As much as I don't like GC they did not mark the price up. If you look at other places they have the same price. I know that if you went in and got the right person you could talk them down to some crazy price. Since Bain Holding bought GC they have put the lock down on what managers can sell stuff for. There is a company called Sound Pure and they sell U87's for about $2400. That has been the best price I know of from a reputable source. As far as old U87's and new ones the old ones can definitely be much better sounding. If you buy an old one be ready to have it serviced. The new u87's are hit and miss, I tried 3 or 4 before I got a good one. I used 2 matched 1969 u87's for several years. They belonged to a friend of mine and he let me use them. When he sold them I was not in the financial position to buy them because I would have in a heartbeat. Buy a new one and send it to Korby Audio, they offer a mod for the U87 that takes the harshness out and improves the headroom. If you like they also offer a U87 to U67 mod. Even though it's still not a U67 it would be a really cool tube U87.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

how does gc stay in business if they don't mark the price up? of course they do. as do the other companies you have mentioned. that's how they and every other business make money. they buy/deal a product, mark it up and sell it for a profit. sound pure is great. doug is the man and i've bought tons of gear from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveboxxx View Post
As much as I don't like GC they did not mark the price up. If you look at other places they have the same price. I know that if you went in and got the right person you could talk them down to some crazy price. Since Bain Holding bought GC they have put the lock down on what managers can sell stuff for. There is a company called Sound Pure and they sell U87's for about $2400. That has been the best price I know of from a reputable source. As far as old U87's and new ones the old ones can definitely be much better sounding. If you buy an old one be ready to have it serviced. The new u87's are hit and miss, I tried 3 or 4 before I got a good one. I used 2 matched 1969 u87's for several years. They belonged to a friend of mine and he let me use them. When he sold them I was not in the financial position to buy them because I would have in a heartbeat. Buy a new one and send it to Korby Audio, they offer a mod for the U87 that takes the harshness out and improves the headroom. If you like they also offer a U87 to U67 mod. Even though it's still not a U67 it would be a really cool tube U87.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear maniac

The companies themselves don't mark the prices up. They are set by the manufactures, the manufacture's sell to the dealer's at a price and then they have a suggested price that you sell at so you can make a profit. To me when people say they mark the price up means that they are adding to the price and not selling at the national price. Meaning that the are tying to charge you more than intended. I only said that because $3200 is the national price on a new U87, and they not jacking the price up. Maybe I misunderstood the post. Just trying to help. And yes Doug was very cool to deal with as I bought my U87,KM184's from him.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
Here they are for $2k. Don't know anything about audiolines, so proceed at your own risk:

Neumann*U*87*Ai*::*VJ*Equipment...

Edwin
I'd assume that comes without a shockmount though...
Hey, look you can order 30 U87's!!! I wonder if they really have that many in stock!
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to KEYBEEETSSS Send a message via Yahoo to KEYBEEETSSS Send a message via Skype™ to KEYBEEETSSS
How to buy an 87?...Very used is the answer...
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear maniac

most GC's only sell the U87 anniversary edition now. which does cost more.. not that its worth it but it does cost more. back when i had an 87 3 years ago i got it new for 2195. new right now they cost 2495
a blue kiwi is a u87 on steroids. look into them. you should be able to get a used on under $1200 right now. got rid of my 87 for a peluso 251 and 47le... havent looked back
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search