Orban 424A questions
New Reply
Subscribe
JMc
30th December 2008
Old 30th December 2008
Gear addict

Orban 424A questions

I recently picked up a blackface Orban 424A with factory installed XLR ins and outs (which I totally dig) in addition to the standard channel strips. I'm used to seeing the blue faced Orbans and even though I need another compressor like I need a hole in the head, I had to have it.

Couple of questions after fiddling around with it a bit... Keep in mind that I use it for VO only. So that could be a factor...

PO claimed it had been serviced by Orban and that it is in tip top, which it appears to be. But I find it curious that I can hear no discernable difference in the comp ratio when adjusting it from 2:1 to infinity.

Additionally, when I take the comp/limiter out with the defeat switch, the unit still imparts a vibe in the chain, so clearly this cannot be a hardwire bypass, correct? BTW, I do like the warm, creamy vibe this thing imparts on occasion, and the de-esser is actually one of the few I actually don't mind using. The gating circuitry and the choice of linear or expansion compression recovery is pretty cool, too.

Anything else I should be aware of? Is it normal for me to not be able to really hear a difference in the different comp ratios and still hear it coloring the chain when bypassed using the switches? Is there some way I can test the comp ratio using the meters and test tones or something? Thanks in advance.
31st December 2008
Old 31st December 2008
Gear addict

Let's not all jump into this thread at once, please.
31st December 2008
Old 31st December 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to larry b
That doesn't sound normal to me. Orban comps are not the cleanest of the bunch. You should really hear it limiting hard once you get the ratio up there.

Kinetic Sound Recording Studio

Website coming soon!
JMc
31st December 2008
Old 31st December 2008
Gear addict

Thanks for the reply. See, that's the thing. I can hear the comp working from the get-go even at the lowest 2:1 setting. I can hear it squashing the signal. It's just that I can't really hear any difference as I turn the knob clockwise to infinity:1. And that's what seems sort of odd to me. I think I need to lay down some audio with it and pay closer attention to both the levels on the gain reduction meters while recording, and in the waveform after recording. Thanks.
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Gear interested

This particular compressor, you know. But for me it's more paint than a contraction. I love this character distortion, and if you want it smooth.
De-Esser, without mysticism - just great!
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

I have to revive this thread.

I actually agree with OP - the knee is SOOOO soft there's very little difference between 3:1 and 10:1 both in sound and in the amount of gain reduction. At extreme ratios compression becomes a tiny bit more pronounced but I would probably fail the blind test. I would actually go as far as saying this is the softest, most gentle, and most invisible VCA compressor I've ever encountered. I can't get it to pump even if I want to. And it does add a very smooth sheen to the programme without changing the overall frequency balance which makes it perfect for 2-buss duties...

If only the mother****er wasn't so noisy . I tried all sorts of wiring and grounding configs and I can't get rid of ~110Hz hum fir the life of me. Is this a common problem with these units? I kinda assume it is 'cause even the manual says so. How do you guys deal with it?
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Lives for gear

IM Jim Williams - he upgrades these and he's the King of Quiet.
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeng View Post
he's the King of Quiet.
thumbsupthumbsup

Thanks man. I'll try that.
8th May 2011
Old 8th May 2011
Lives for gear

Well, that didn't quite work. Any other thoughts gentlemen?
JMc
21st May 2011
Old 21st May 2011
Gear addict

Never heard any hum or noise with mine. I wound up removing it from service a LONG time ago. Probably a month or two after creating this thread. The fact that I couldn't get it to go gnarly when I wanted it to sort of turned me off to it. Actually, getting my hands on a bargain basement LA-2A from a local studio going out of business is what turned me off to it.
8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Gear interested

I played around with one of these too, and noticed the same things. Read up on it, and it's fairly quirky: It was made for radio use, so as you adjust attack time or ratio, it adjusts the threshold to attempt to maintain the same output level. That's why it's hard to hear differences in the sound. It's basically designed to NOT make the sound noticeably different as you adjust the parameters. Kind of an odd compressor. I haven't ended up using it hardly at all.

www.johnbehrensmusic.com
www.flickr.com/photos/clearambassador
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear interested

424A / 422? - is a feedback compressors.
Response threshold is determined by their output level.
Accordingly, all the adjustments affect the threshold.
essentially similar to LA2-A, Spectrasonic 610, Altec 436, Urei LA3, API 525, old DBX 160/165...
28th October 2012
Old 28th October 2012
Gear interested

I agree that 424 A is very clean sounding ( no hum or whatever) and has very little impact on the overall sound of the source. I use it on drums and as de-esser, but it is definately not a hard squasher or a pumper. You have to really dig into it to find how it really affects the sound, it is not an easy one to start with. It does a good job and it is a fine product. I agree that the function "defeat" is not a bypass, it has something to do with the gate maybe, but I am not sure..just never used it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search