Fleet Foxes
New Reply
Subscribe
Igotsoul4u
24th December 2008
Old 24th December 2008
Lives for gear

Fleet Foxes

Wow. I am totally blown away be their album. Happened to catch them on conan the other day and was just blown away. The bring together so many different vibes from all over the map of great sounds in time. Production is cool but the huge verb thing can get a little old. What excites me most is that I only want to listen to the album from beginning to end, much like a dark side of the moon or zep 4. Anyway. Its great and Im excited to be excited.
MacPro 2.66 quad, Macbook Pro 13" 2.4, Protools 8 LE 003, Logic 8, McDsp, Sonnox, API 512c, GR NV500, Buzz Essence, Focusrite Solo, DBX 160A, Telefunken AK47, AKG 414eb Adam A7 Sub 8, Laney, Fender, Martin, Musicman, PRS, Marshall, Bach.
24th December 2008
Old 24th December 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jomo1234 Send a message via Yahoo to jomo1234
The reverb can get to be too much at times, but it does suit the music. I don't think those songs would have the same impact if they were mixed dry. It's still definitely my record of the year....just brilliant from start to finish.
24th December 2008
Old 24th December 2008
Gear interested

I agree, the album is great.
24th December 2008
Old 24th December 2008
Gear addict

Love it. Think that something really special was captured by all those that were involved with the project. Looking forward to the follow up immensley.

Classical

Pop/Rock
25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Banned

God I love this music. Thanks. My new favorite band.

I agree that they might overdo it with reverb sometimes though.
25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Lives for gear

That immense reverb is the "new sound". Ala Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective sometimes, etc. Cool record though.
25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Lives for gear

thumbsup
cool sonics/vibe and killer songs
25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Gear maniac

Great album.
Go see them live. That sounds even better. thumbsup
25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Gear maniac

hybrid home recording and best albums of 2008

PS: The thing that struck me is that my favourite albums of 2008 have been recorded at home. Besides Fleet Foxes, Portishead - Third comes to mind. Brilliant album. Some recording and mixing/mastering has been done in commercial facilities , but nonetheless, a big part consists of excellent home work. Of course the home recording/pro hybrid approach is not a new phenomenon, but this is probably the first year that both of my fave albums are made this way, and they sound excellent.

Portishead has got one hell of a home studio. (actually it's like a big pro studio at home.) On the other hand; for lead vocals they didn't use their vintage u47 but a cheap $ 300 Rode. Of course, I'm not downplaying the importance of pro engineer/mix skills or pro gear. Just saying I'm thrilled by thought that it's possible for (some) recording musicians to make impressive sounding albums on a modest budget, not just "OK sounding" lofi albums or sample/synth based electronics.

I think a lot of bands would be better of if they would focus on playing and paying a pro engineer/studio to do the recording. But for some bands (and us listeners) the freedom of home recording is truly a blessing. Merry MboXmas!
25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Gear nut

yeah fleet foxes great band, I enjoy the reverb's continuity throughout the album. really gives off the aura that it was recorded in a huge empty church. just great band
25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Ion wrangler

Anybody have any insight into the making of this album? It has spent more time on my turntable than anything else this year, but I really don't know much about how it was recorded.

My buddy Martin Carr- he wot used to be a Boo Radley- named his first child Sonny Fleet Fox Carr a few months ago. He likes the album quite a bit.

www.corinashley.com
Igotsoul4u
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Lives for gear

From what I have read, the engineer/mixer/producer really tied it all together and kept the band from having sonically incoherent album. The band would cut whatever wherever and just send it to him. He did a fantastic freakin job if you ask me. Kudos to the engineer. Thank god they understand the value of what he brought to the table.
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Lives for gear

If you don't have their EP "Sun Giant" I suggest you get it. Every song on it is great and I think the quality of the album is a bit better than their full-length.
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Lives for gear

yeah, i think "mykonos" off of the "sun giant" ep is one of my favorite tracks of theirs. really great band.
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Gear addict

great album, I saw them live a few months ago and their harmonies are that good live too, very impressive
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Lives for gear

Phil Ek
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Gear maniac

Love the album so much is scares me. Love the EP as well.

I think the reverb really works. It is appropriate to the "setting" of the record, in my opinion. I think of the record coming from a very old church in the country.

I didn't know it was partly home recorded. Would love to read more about how it was done.

Saw them on Conan and Letterman. They completely realize the music live, vocals and all.

PC
27th December 2008
Old 27th December 2008
Gear maniac

Impressive vox.

Aside from that, completely not my cup of tea at all.
27th December 2008
Old 27th December 2008
Lives for gear

Fleet Foxes:

All really nice guys, at least they were when they came into record their demo at my studio before their full length, after their EP. I think a few band members didn't "make it" to the end of the production of the full length, and were replaced with new members that could pull of the harmonies and such. I also have a huntch that some of those tracks they did at my place are actually on the full length, but I could be very wrong about that.

Phil Ek did that record, and that guy is a pretty damn talented producer/engineer (also a super nice guy), although he definatly likes to keep productions fairly "safe" if you ask me.

They did do a bunch of work at London Bridge Studios, not sure if it was mixed there though.
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear interested

I love this album, it hearkens back to the Zombies Odyssey and Oracle in the sense that it's reverb used really well.

I found out about the band through this video a friend sent me. Fleet Foxes - A Take Away Show on Vimeo

The high ceilings of the Grand Palais (rather than the band being run through a reverb box) gives them an unbelievable sense of life that I think the album can miss from time to time. Despite the poor sound quality, I think the song shines through. And on an opposite note, the beginning where the band performs acapella sans any reverb just shoes how much talent these guys have.
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brill bedroom View Post
Anybody have any insight into the making of this album? It has spent more time on my turntable than anything else this year, but I really don't know much about how it was recorded.

My buddy Martin Carr- he wot used to be a Boo Radley- named his first child Sonny Fleet Fox Carr a few months ago. He likes the album quite a bit.

Aah Mr Carr. A friend of mine also. About the only one in the music scene to have moved to Wales and not away from it!

I haven't seen him since the arrival, but he is one of the most optimistic and generous people I know.
Soundtoys Speed HD £65
Studiomaster 6-2-1 - offers?
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Ion wrangler

Isn't he a beautiful guy? He put together my whole Abbey Road recording fantasy dream sequence for me and got Charlie Francis in to engineer. (Charlie being the other guy who moved to Wales to open a studio) Anyway, Martin, he's crazy insane for Fleet Foxes. Took the newborn baby to their show and asked them to autograph it's diaper!
10th January 2009
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to lord_bunny
anyone know if thats a real plate verb being used?

my fav new record by far... haven't been this excited about a release in years.
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

This is a very good record.
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear addict

Bumping for interest in production techniques
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

+1 on bump. By far the best album in a long time...

The songs would have sounded great on a 4 track...but the production on this album is also awesome. The vocals are so spacious. Seems like I can look into the mix for miles. It really helps with the whole solemn, distant and fragile aesthetic of the album.
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
That immense reverb is the "new sound".
What's old is new again as pop music continues to eat itself.
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_bunny View Post
anyone know if thats a real plate verb being used?
here's a quote I found:

When I interviewed Stuart Hallerman of Avast! Recording a few months ago, he told me that a young band that was family friends of producer Phil Ek had just been in the studio and left a giant EMT 140 plate reverb. That band turned out to be Fleet Foxes, which has recently received four stars from Rolling Stone and hailed by critics as this generation’s answer to Crosby, Stills & Nash...
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear nut

as a side note to this, FF's drummer, J. Tillman, has quite good solo music, very fragile but beautiful music
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear maniac

Send a message via MSN to ColourSurround Send a message via Skype™ to ColourSurround
This album has been garnering rave reviews all around, and I must say, although I've always been into the big verb sound (I'm a shoegazer through and through) this album didn't quite peak my interest. The songs are well crafted but they never seem to stray from one vibe and it can get monotonous I find. But then again maybe that's what they were going for. Fantastic vocal harmonies however, it must be said. So cheers to the lads for making a much well received record. I still dig Glasvegas as album of the year 2008.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search