Genelec 8050a ???????
Old 11th December 2008
Steven Antoniazzi

Genelec 8050a ???????

Hi slutz, I just purchased a pair of genelec 8050a for a good price. The past 4 years I have been mixing on Yamaha Msp 10's. I saved up and finally purchased the genelecs their on the way. My questions are... Do you think the genelecs are a major step up from the msp 10's? For the price range did I make the right choice? What should I expect? I also had the Ns 10's I did not like them very much. I never really used any other monitors. Should I feel buyers remorse?
Thanks
Steve
Old 12th December 2008
Steven Antoniazzi

Hi

Bump - is there any body out there?
Old 12th December 2008

with monitors its all personal preference

there are many people out there who use 8050a's and are happy with them

narco
Old 12th December 2008
Steven Antoniazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco View Post
with monitors its all personal preference

there are many people out there who use 8050a's and are happy with them

narco
Thanks
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

i have the 8040's and i love them
Old 12th December 2008
Gear addict

Of course the Genelec is a step up. I once purchased Yamahas HS8M monitors and brought them right back to the store: Too much loose bass. I now use Prodipe. They are flawless and unbeatable for the price. My feeling about Genelec is that they are too expensive but technically you can't go wrong. Ideally I would rather go with two smaller Genelecs and a Bass woofer than with two larger Genelecs without subwoofer. I tested all combinations at the Satis and the best supreme sound came when one would listen to the second to smallest Genelec speakers (8020A/8030A) with a 7000 series subwoofer. Any other combo was less efficient including larger speakers with subwoofers. The combo described here provided the perfect top of the line monitoring experience. No other combination will match it.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

i use 8030a monitors and i think they're great. they are slightly hyped in the high-end, but if you take that into account then it's all fine.
Old 12th December 2008
Gear interested

yes monitors are a personal choice.

I suffered with the 8050s though. Mixes did not translate well outside. To me it has hyped high mids and lo mids. Mixes were tubby and lacking 5k. Tried em in two different rooms as well. My friends in China and Taiwan staying away from them and sticking to older genelec models-1031s etc. I got adams and avantones and wont ever go back to the new genelecs.

Massenberg and Eric Schilling love the 8050s so something might be wrong with my ears e.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear
ive had 8040s for a couple of years now and I think I have a pretty good perspective on them.

Overall, the speakers tell you whats going on in your mix.

I have recently added a dynaudio sub to the system which has helped me wrap my head around the low end substantially. Before the woofer I was usually pretty uncertain about what was happening down there. Is it too much? Is it too little? Where is the mud happening? I don't ask those questions nearly as much anymore. Also, I am getting ALOT more volume out of them now.

Is the high end hyped? I used to think that, I don't feel it anymore but that's probably because I am so used to them. I guess I've gotten used to having my head ripped off by a tamborine!

They are not overly detailed. At times I feel like I am a little blind in terms of depth. I feel that the upper mid range is not the strongest area in the speakers design. There was a time when I was either mixing a little dry or a little wet..with time i have learned how to read the speakers. With that said I never feel fatigued. You can work for hours on these speakers no problem.

With those small criticisms I should repeat that overall they tell you whats going on with your mix. I do love the speakers and havent used anything that I thought came close to them.
Old 12th December 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
Should I feel buyers remorse?
Wait until you try to work with them....then you can feel the buyer's remorse
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

I think you do not have to worry after you bought it.

I have worked on 8040 (own them) and 8050.
It is not a NS 10 where you could give an forecast how it will sound on other systems.

It will take a time to know them.
They have a lot of HF you can if you will check on other systems dip the hf down on 2 db.

I did it because every mastering house told me that I mix with too less HF.
I love the base response of the 8050 and I would upgrade one day to them.

Anyway it is not a bad monitor in my ears as two way system very accurate not smooth like HIFI systems very well build. I have made the experince that 2 ways with base reflex in front give you a wrong picture of the base range. The 8050 has a base reflex to the backside.

I have mine for 3 years now and I still discover in every mix new things which they resolute very nice. Maybe it is not for mastering maybe a 3 way mid-field system would show up more things but also would cost more as double as the 8050.

Congrats do not worry it is a nice monitor.
Old 22nd December 2008
Steven Antoniazzi

I love them

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the late come back. I have been mixing all my previous recorded material. I am in complete shock on how great the genelec's sound. The IMAGE is sick. I am getting use to them pretty quick. I can actually hear reverbs tailing off. I was worried about what the bounce down would sound like. well, it does hold true to the mix. They are very accurate. I feel like I have been being deceived for years and I still think the yamaha msp 10 are good. However, This is by far the best purchase I made in at least a year.
Old 22nd December 2008
Lives for gear

I had the 8040's for a few weeks in 2005, gave them back and got Adam P11s, then P33s. Used them for 2 years. Sold them, and got a pair of Genelec 8050s. Love them. thumbsup

They sound great, very impressive imaging in many rooms I have placed them in, and the bass end is well controlled. The mids are fairly flat without any noticable coloration. The 8040s have very sweet highs, but the low end can be a little jumpy sometimes. Thats why I prefer the 50's. The smaller 8030s are really cool too.
Old 23rd December 2008
Steven Antoniazzi

I may pick up some 8020's or 8030's for work.
Old 23rd December 2008
Lives for gear

i have the 8250s and love them.
Old 23rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujufactory View Post
Of course the Genelec is a step up. I once purchased Yamahas HS8M monitors and brought them right back to the store: Too much loose bass. I now use Prodipe. They are flawless and unbeatable for the price. My feeling about Genelec is that they are too expensive but technically you can't go wrong. Ideally I would rather go with two smaller Genelecs and a Bass woofer than with two larger Genelecs without subwoofer. I tested all combinations at the Satis and the best supreme sound came when one would listen to the second to smallest Genelec speakers (8020A/8030A) with a 7000 series subwoofer. Any other combo was less efficient including larger speakers with subwoofers. The combo described here provided the perfect top of the line monitoring experience. No other combination will match it.
If they are a step up, it is a small one. The Genelecs are a very good speaker, I don't know if you will really get more accuracy with them. As for Jujufactory, the paper coned HS80M is on another planet from the MSP-10. I do agree with you about the HS-80M, not a great monitor! The MSP-10 has electronics and speaker components that rival the Genelecs. You obviously have not used the MSP-10 or you would know that they have a very extended, and tight low end and don't need a subwoofer, especially in a properly treated room. The MSP-10 mixes also translate extremely well to other systems.
Old 23rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Happy 8040 owner here.
Old 23rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalmaus1 View Post
yes monitors are a personal choice.

I suffered with the 8050s though. Mixes did not translate well outside. To me it has hyped high mids and lo mids. Mixes were tubby and lacking 5k. Tried em in two different rooms as well. My friends in China and Taiwan staying away from them and sticking to older genelec models-1031s etc. I got adams and avantones and wont ever go back to the new genelecs.

Massenberg and Eric Schilling love the 8050s so something might be wrong with my ears e.
If you have ever been in one of George's rooms, you would understand. They are amazingly acoustically engineered. If a monitor doesn't translate there, it won't anywhere!
Old 23rd December 2008
Lives for gear

I'm very happy with the 8040a. The mixes translates extremely well. The low end somewhat hyped a little, but I added a sub, so now it feels like a complete full range system. Stereo imaging is fantastic too.
Tamas Dragon
Old 23rd December 2008
Gear addict

All three of my studios have 8050s. I love these monitors and think and have had no problems with them at all. I mixed with KRK V8 and then tried other genelec models. I hated everything until I got to the 8050. These are easily my favorite monitors around.
Old 5th January 2009
Lives for gear

I have mixed feelings about these monitors.

I dipped the hights by 2 dB down (after some dull mixes, seems to be the case for everybody).
I put the bass down by 6 dB (bass tilt), since they are not too far
from the wall (30 cm : speaker backside to wall) and I measured the flattest response for this setting. The bass was measured to be quite flat. Hights seem ok and upper mids also. Lower mids are soso.

Everytime I mix on the Genelecs and feel satisfied and switch to some KRK V8, the mix sounds tubby and/or upper-mid-forward. The V8 have a sort of NS-10 sound.

The 8050s alone do not deliver for me the degree of mix quality that I expect.
I have to correct certain things on the KRKs (standing behind me) and adams a7 (also installed on the right wall). The low end .. also sometimes seems to be slightly compressed? Maybe it is because of the home studio with moderate room treatment. Somehow phase response seems to be an issue on these monitors.

Also weird: With the hights dipped 2 dB down, I am unable to adequately use a de-esser and have
to correct using some hs50m or the krks. I dont hear the s-louds as aggressive as they are.

Weird monitors, but I love them anyway.
For strange reasons, mastering is easier for me than mixing on the 8050.
Old 5th January 2009
Lives for gear

I love my 8050s, very nice to mix and write/produce on; highs are clear and detailed but not fatigueing. I use them as midfields btw and they allow me to have fairly big sweetspot. Of course room size and treatment are important since these speakers go down in to the low freqs.

Happy user here.
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
I have mixed feelings about these monitors.

I dipped the hights by 2 dB down (after some dull mixes, seems to be the case for everybody).
I put the bass down by 6 dB (bass tilt), since they are not too far
from the wall (30 cm : speaker backside to wall) and I measured the flattest response for this setting. The bass was measured to be quite flat. Hights seem ok and upper mids also. Lower mids are soso.

Everytime I mix on the Genelecs and feel satisfied and switch to some KRK V8, the mix sounds tubby and/or upper-mid-forward. The V8 have a sort of NS-10 sound.

The 8050s alone do not deliver for me the degree of mix quality that I expect.
I have to correct certain things on the KRKs (standing behind me) and adams a7 (also installed on the right wall). The low end .. also sometimes seems to be slightly compressed? Maybe it is because of the home studio with moderate room treatment. Somehow phase response seems to be an issue on these monitors.

Also weird: With the hights dipped 2 dB down, I am unable to adequately use a de-esser and have
to correct using some hs50m or the krks. I dont hear the s-louds as aggressive as they are.

Weird monitors, but I love them anyway.
For strange reasons, mastering is easier for me than mixing on the 8050.
Hi About the "treble too much thing" i would suggest leave a bit more distance from your ear to 8050a if you are going to use it as a main speaker. (you probabely don't wannt listen to it like a headphone)
The bass problem can be solute by applying a bit more bass trap at the corner. (check realtrap or auralex for different purpose).

I personally like to use Genelec without the filter on and the only one i turn on is the "Desktop dip" mode thing and i found that one most useful.

About how to Desser with Genelec is the trick....Genelec 8050 should has better top high end compare to 1031 or 1032. So basically try A/B between your ns10m and Genelec 8050.
NS10m! if NS10M or A7 says it's perfect, it could be a bit dull (over-dessering).
If 8050a says it's perfect on the top end , then i think u are safe.
(with enough distance, the treble top end shouldn't sound as harash or overemphasis as your previous experience).

The most important to check when you finish with 8050 is to check your mix reverb tail with NS10m to see if you fade out nicely. Yamaha seems to emphasis the tail thing while very often Genelec just let go those.
One more thing to check is to see if you are missing low in NS10m.
What sounds "complete" in 8050 might not be complete yet in NS10m especially the low at 100hz area.
Genelec 8050a is so deep that sometimes you forget to pay attention at your 100hz-200hz area (NS10m can't read much below 100hz so this area is the key area for ns10m's bottom).

SO conclusion,
everytime you finish your mix in 8050a, check bottom with ns10m, check your reverb tails and fade out (breathing fades as well) with ns10m/A7, then ONE MORE CHECK WITH 8050a, then you are SAFE.
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

The 8050A gets moderate use at our place. I regard it as a sort of second opinion to the K&H 0300/0800 system we have, but the K&H is more costly of course.

Does anyone use, or have you had experience with, the newer Genelec 8260? Sorry to open a tangent.

John
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search