Login / Register

World Clock - what is it, and where is mine?
New Reply
Subscribe
MikeTSH
10th December 2008
Old 10th December 2008
Guitar/Vox of Skyway Ave.

Send a message via Skype™ to MikeTSH
Word Clock - what is it, and where is mine?

I have an M Audio 2496 soundcard atm (I know, haha). Anyway, just wondering what in the world is a world clock [in english] and where am I getting mine at the moment?
10th December 2008
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to alexp
So you want to know where your clocking source is coming from without an external clock? Internally! Your running protools, so thats a pretty easy answer. As for what an external clock can do for your sound, I dont wanna open THAT can of worms again, although I am sure there are some on here that will regardless.

alexP
10th December 2008
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to larry b
A world clock can tell you what time it is in any region of the world at any given time. You can find a good one at any watch or clock shop.

A WORD clock is a clock that tells your A/D and D/A converters precisely when a digital sample happens. If you dont have an external one, you are currently using the one built into whatever audio interface you are using (if youre using a digital-based recording system).

And, contrary to popular belief, going out and buying the best most expensive work clocking device will NOT necessarily improve your audio quality. If you only have one device handling all of your A/D and D/A conversion, its best to continue to use it's own internal clock, as this will result in the lowest possible jitter. It's only when multiple converters and other digital devices need to work together that external clocks become important.

Kinetic Sound Recording Studio

Website coming soon!
10th December 2008
Old 10th December 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b View Post
A world clock can tell you what time it is in any region of the world at any given time. You can find a good one at any watch or clock shop.

A WORD clock is a clock that tells your A/D and D/A converters precisely when a digital sample happens. If you dont have an external one, you are currently using the one built into whatever audio interface you are using (if youre using a digital-based recording system).

And, contrary to popular belief, going out and buying the best most expensive work clocking device will NOT necessarily improve your audio quality. If you only have one device handling all of your A/D and D/A conversion, its best to continue to use it's own internal clock, as this will result in the lowest possible jitter. It's only when multiple converters and other digital devices need to work together that external clocks become important.
I hereby declare that can of worms open.

(but I agree with you, though)
10th December 2008
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

LOL! Hey, the audiophile is actually a pretty damn decent card for the money, don't knock it.

It's WORD clock, not world clock, if there is a world clock, then I want to know what it is too I think we may have to ask the Mayans about that one..

Word clock keeps digital devices in sync, by means of a master and slave relationship. You don't need to worry about it unless you have gear that is using digital connections.
If you have your 2496 say, and one other piece of digital gear, like a stereo effects box that connects via s/pdif, then you decide which is going to be the master clock, and which is the slave, make the appropriate settings in each device and they will then pass digital audio back and forth in perfect sync.
Without that sync, you will get some serious nasty white noise at worse, or really ****ing annoying clicks and snaps at best.

You can sync more than 2 devices from one master device if it has the necessary amount and type of digital outs to connect everything, but usually people buy a dedicated word clock whose sole function is to send the clock signal to all the digital devices in the system and keep them playing nicely together.
MikeTSH
10th December 2008
Old 10th December 2008
Guitar/Vox of Skyway Ave.

Send a message via Skype™ to MikeTSH
edited - word clock. you only needed to correct once lol
9th February 2011
Old 9th February 2011
Gear interested

ohh yeah

YES IT´S TRUE THE 2496 IS A NICE CARD FOR THE PRICE!, I´m using it with Cubase 5 and it goes perfect. saludos desde ecuador!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent View Post
LOL! Hey, the audiophile is actually a pretty damn decent card for the money, don't knock it.

It's WORD clock, not world clock, if there is a world clock, then I want to know what it is too I think we may have to ask the Mayans about that one..

Word clock keeps digital devices in sync, by means of a master and slave relationship. You don't need to worry about it unless you have gear that is using digital connections.
If you have your 2496 say, and one other piece of digital gear, like a stereo effects box that connects via s/pdif, then you decide which is going to be the master clock, and which is the slave, make the appropriate settings in each device and they will then pass digital audio back and forth in perfect sync.
Without that sync, you will get some serious nasty white noise at worse, or really ****ing annoying clicks and snaps at best.

You can sync more than 2 devices from one master device if it has the necessary amount and type of digital outs to connect everything, but usually people buy a dedicated word clock whose sole function is to send the clock signal to all the digital devices in the system and keep them playing nicely together.
9th February 2011
Old 9th February 2011

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Not every interface has a word clock I/O, so you might not have one at all!

It's just one way of syncing up digital gear - so if you've only got one interface, you don't generally need to worry about it.

If you have 2 pieces of digital gear, and both have wordclock i/o, then you can use this as a clock source to lock them together - it's generally considered more reliable/less jitter than using the embedded stream in SPDIF or AES signals. Personally I've never heard the difference but there you go.

If I've ever helped you with a technical problem or provided you with advice you found useful, you can more than repay me by checking out, and maybe buying a couple of songs, by a singer I'm working closely with. It would be much appreciated!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/preorder/...an/id513648911

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Robert-Ha...robert+hardman

</Shameless Plug>
9th February 2011
Old 9th February 2011
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search