24 Channel Console: Trident T24 or Trident Series 70
Sean Sullivan
9th December 2008
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear
24 Channel Console: Trident T24 or Trident Series 70

I'm considering buying a console and I want something with color. Both these consoles are available locally. Both are 24 channels and include a patchbay (I'm not sure if the Series 70 includes any other cabling, but the T24 has some spare parts). The Trident is at/for sale by Blevins, so I'm guessing it has at least be given a look over. The T24 is local, but the guy seems to have maintained the console. I'm planning on checking out both in the next couple days.

Which of the two would you recommend? I don't have experience with either, but both seem like a good deal.

Or would I be smarter getting something like a Ghost, upgrading the center section, and grabbing some lusty outboard preamps. The reason the Trident is appealing is it's not something I'm likely to grow out of.
9th December 2008
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

Is that the Trimix Randy has that you're interested in? I checked it out last summer.Randy's a great guy and he'll back up anything he sells so that would count for a lot to me. Everyone told me to avoid the 24 and 65 series and go for the 70. I got a Soundtracs Solitaire locally so I didn't get the Trident though I checked out a few. Ask Randy though-he's won't BS you to try to sell you something you don't want. Good luck!
9th December 2008
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

I've got a Trident 65 that's been modded (discrete center section, upgraded psu, grounding, etc.) and I love it. I also don't know how a stock one sounds! I see that Blevins has a recapped MCI 428B for the same price as the Trident...I would go for that console, especially since Blevins is the MCI tech in town. More colored than the Trident (Trident has transformerless mic pres). Plus, has the Trident been recapped? A board of that age, that's a huge plus in my opinion if it's been recapped/maintained properly. Good luck, shoot me any questions about my console if you want
9th December 2008
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

Well assuming that both consoles are are in good shape with no major issues, the Series 70 will blow the doors off of the 24. The 70 is similar but not identical topology to the 80b, whereas the 24 (and the 65 and 75) are very different beasts. I never could stand the sound of them. I know there are those that always jump on bashing the flaws of the 80b, but overall you can make really good sounding record on them. The 70 is in the same ballpark, and the 24 just isn't.

Kirt Shearer
9th December 2008
Old 9th December 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshearer View Post
Well assuming that both consoles are are in good shape with no major issues, the Series 70 will blow the doors off of the 24. The 70 is similar but not identical topology to the 80b, whereas the 24 (and the 65 and 75) are very different beasts. I never could stand the sound of them. I know there are those that always jump on bashing the flaws of the 80b, but overall you can make really good sounding record on them. The 70 is in the same ballpark, and the 24 just isn't.
I agree 100%
9th December 2008
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

Isn't the 70 just a 16buss version of the 80?
Thats good enough for rock n roll...
But as someone said, if its in the same price range as a cleaned up MCI 428, I'd probably take the MCI!!!!!
9th December 2008
Old 9th December 2008
Banned

The 70 series is a much better console than the 65 series for sure.
I personally kind of like the 70 series.

They have a pretty straight forward British layout and EQ.

I'd be torn about buying it before the MCI 400 series.
It would have to be at least ten years newer (if not more.)
It'd be more reliable.
They would not be that hard to re-cap.
Sean Sullivan
10th December 2008
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear
I'm not really interested in a MCI, a friend of mine I do some work with has a MCI JH416B so I'd like to get something different.

Here's my problem: I could get a Series 70 or for the same price...

Original Neumann U87
Neumann KM84 (have one already)
A nice ribbon (Coles, Royer)
Pair of MD421s
Kick drum microphones
A good vocal compressor (thinking Summit Audio TLA-100)
Soundcraft Ghost
Some 24 channel I/O interface

If I got the Series 70 I pretty broke with only a few microphones, and maybe one or two compressors (I'd have to sell all my outboard preamps to afford it).
25th March 2014
Old 25th March 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshearer View Post
The 70 is in the same ballpark, and the 24 just isn't.

Kirt Shearer
In a nutshell, thanks
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search