DIY rack build
New Reply
Subscribe
gregory
4th December 2008
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

DIY rack build

Hello, I think I need to build two 19" racks, as I don't find anything commercially available that suits me. One will be a portable 10 or 12 space rack with ergotron style arms for lcd monitor/keyboard. something I can roll around for my one man acoustic fingersyle recording. My questions are:

Is any of the following stuff a problem to have in near proximity to condenser mics? ( say 3 or more feet) lcd monitor - tube and solid state pres - converters - RF remote keyboard\mouse. it's all fanless and I'm wary of potential reflections but any other problems?

Some of this stuff can be long and heavy. is rackmount from the front only always sufficient? I see no commercial racks with any provision for support at the rear but 20" long heavy cases seems like alot of stress on the front.

I also consider making the unit, at least at the bottom, slanted so that the units face up a bit. this of course will make accessing the rear i\o even more of a pain but any other concerns? how about heat dissapation from top vents? or am I over thinking it?
any comments appreciated.
4th December 2008
Old 4th December 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Hello, I think I need to build two 19" racks, as I don't find anything commercially available that suits me. One will be a portable 10 or 12 space rack with ergotron style arms for lcd monitor/keyboard. something I can roll around for my one man acoustic fingersyle recording. My questions are:

Is any of the following stuff a problem to have in near proximity to condenser mics? ( say 3 or more feet) lcd monitor - tube and solid state pres - converters - RF remote keyboard\mouse. it's all fanless and I'm wary of potential reflections but any other problems?

Some of this stuff can be long and heavy. is rackmount from the front only always sufficient? I see no commercial racks with any provision for support at the rear but 20" long heavy cases seems like alot of stress on the front.

I also consider making the unit, at least at the bottom, slanted so that the units face up a bit. this of course will make accessing the rear i\o even more of a pain but any other concerns? how about heat dissapation from top vents? or am I over thinking it?
any comments appreciated.
i built my own slanted dual 18 space rack cabinet using 3/4" birch plywood and it seems to be holding up well. the heaviest item i have on it right now is an Eden Bass WT800 bass amp which is about 20lbs or so. The rack ears on it are of very, very heavy duty steel and I don't see any deformation in the the rack ears or the rack itself due to the weight. I fastened the rack rails to the wood with 6 1/2" long heavy duty machine screws (per rail) to make sure it doesn't come off easily. I used pocket hole joinery supplemented by wood glue to attach the corners of the plywood panels and I did not have any wood splitting during or after the assembly process. As far as air circulation goes, I left the back of the rack wide open since it is up against the wall anyway and I dont need it closed since my rack equipment does not make any noise.
4th December 2008
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

i built my own wich is slanted on top for my rack mount mixer. the front mounts only have never been a problem..they are designed to to take the weight. stacking them is no problem either but for tube units and other units that get hot..i keep them separated from each other. like i keep my tube pre on the very top.or leave a space for tube gear. otherwise, i've had no problems for years now. i left the back open too.
4th December 2008
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

Heavy

You might want to consider building multiple racks with patch panels for easy setup to avoid a heavy bulky rig.

I had put together a mobile system with two rackmount PCs and other equipment in a big rackmount, which I eventually disassasembled.

It was very heavy, needed two people to get it into the back of my pickup, and could barely fit through the door, not to mention set up in space constrained venues.

I recently attached an LCD with hinges that flip up to my anvil style case for my 01v console, It works good, it is compact, but the only problem is every time i need to set up or take down I have to individually patch or re-patch all the connections. A multipin or patchpadel/breakoutbox/doghouse migh be the next move.
4th December 2008
Old 4th December 2008
Gear maniac

Ouch

I agree with the post that recommends you don't put too much in one rack. When a PSU blew in my rack mount PC, rather than take the PC out I thought it would be easier to put the whole rack with two 4U PCs into the car to take it to work to fix it somewhere with more space and better tools. The PC now works fine but I appear to have three testicles. Ouch !

www.mytinycircus.com
gregory
4th December 2008
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks guys for all the great ideas. I'm going to get started as I like building stuff, and I know it'll be better than the particle board crappola typically available. By portable I mean able to roll it from room to room, I really doubt it'll ever leave the house. I'll stick to 12 space. one open, one iso for computer, etc.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search