Login / Register

I'm changing converters, which setup would you go with?
New Reply
Subscribe
KingDiamond
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Gear addict

I'm changing converters, which setup would you go with?

I currently use a Presonus Firepod and I feel that the AD/DA is lacking. So I'm ready to make a step up into the semi-pro world with upgrading the converters. My only outboard preamp is a modified Presonus Eureka. I've been researching my options and I have come up with a few:

1. Buy an RME FireFace 800, sell the Firepod, use Eureka as an additional preamp.

2. Buy a LynxTwo-C (6in/2out), use the Firepod preamps and Eureka preamp, and perhaps add additional preamps in the future.

3. Buy a Steinberg MR816 CSX, sell the Firepod, use Eureka preamp when necessary.

Which option seems like the best for sound quality? I have read on here that the Lynx converters are a step above the RME converters. But there was a thread about the new Steinberg MR816 and there were rave reviews about the quality of the converters but I don't know how they would compare to the Lynx and RME. The LynxTwo came out in 2000 so it's almost 9 years old so I'm not sure if technology in the new converters is much better or not.

Thanks in advance.
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Lives for gear

Please tell me what you think about these files:

Converter loopback test

p.s. say Hi to Melissa from me! :-)

/Peter
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Lives for gear

I've never heard the Steinberg, but Lynx is much better than RME IMHO.
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Gear maniac

Well I think ultimately you need to decide whether you want to get out of the
firewire world and into the PCI base slot interface... (such as the Lynx Two as you mentioned). I definitely think there is a positive side to going with a direct connect compare to firewire but as the same time I am "if it works leave it" kind of audio nut. Having to deal with an overall new install can sometimes be a pain in the ass.
The safest and easiest route to upgrade your conversion will be to add an existing spdif or adat A/D D/A to your current firepod interface. The RME ADI-2 A/D D/A is a great option if you’re on a budget. It has a nice detail, clean character to it. If you have the budget stepping into something like an Apogee Rosetta 200 is well worth it! The Rosetta 200 has some nice features like SRC (sample rate conversion) soft limit and has a nice detailed image with alittle coloration. Having said all this... is a 2 channel A/D D/A conversion upgrade enough? Is it just you recording yourself on guitar or vocals or are you planning on recording more than 2 sources at once (full band , drums...). If not you could always take advantage of your adat option on your firepod and add an 8 channel unit. There are some great choices like the RME ADI-8, Lynx Aurora 8 or Apogee Rosetta 800 if you want to go this route as well. Hope this helps some and good luck!

Best Regards,
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to slaves666
I have a Fireface and I love it. If you were to ever track drums, or need more inputs, get it. Otherwise the Lynx might be a better route.
KingDiamond
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Gear addict

Alright, thanks for the answers. I wish Lynx came out with a PCIe version of the LynxTwo, it's almost 2009 already.
T9c
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
T9c
Gear maniac

I got a good bonus check a few years ago and bought a Lynx Two A model (shoulda got the C - hindsight's 20/20). I already had a Mytek 96 AD and a DA box, and a 828MkII that I wanted to remove from the equation as it did weird stuff.

I can hardly tell the difference between the Lynx and the Mytek AD after tracking, although I use the Mytek more often than not b/c I really think when all tracks are stacked that I'll get a better (more open, detailed) sound from the entire mix. I use the Mytek for DA too.

For the price, the LTwo is hard to beat, and the drivers are rock solid. Not having to deal with inferior firewire or usb on most mobo's or cards is also very nice.

However...If I had it to do all over again today... I'd get the Aurora and AES16 combo.
12th December 2008
Old 12th December 2008
Gear nut

hi

what kind of mics are you using, I think right now that mics and preamps will make a lot more difference than converters, not the first place to upgrade, Ive been through it went from behringer ada8000, to focusrite 428 then to ssl and from studio projects to hi end mics and lachapel pre amp, the converters made less difference than anything
12th December 2008
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
p.s. say Hi to Melissa from me! :-)
Funny as hell!!!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search