Just found a teac 3340
New Reply
Subscribe
msm07
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

Just found a teac 3340

I've just found 2 teac reel to reel machines in my dads storage. Are they any of any use? One is a 4 channel the other 2. I've given them a google search and a lot of info has come up but would like to hear from some of you guys. Should I just ebay them?
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

They're nice sounding machines with a clear extended high-end. The Teac 3340S was my first reel-to-reel. I still have it in my living room, but one channel is out, and there's a lot of flutter. The flutter is probably a PS cap going to the capstan. I wish it worked, but I just don't have time to fool with it.

And the relevant point to you is, if you have time to spend on them, they can be interesting tools that sound very good. Mine would probably see some use if it worked. If I were you, I'd dust them off to see how well they work. If it's fine, it's probably worth more as a tool and conversation piece than you could get for it off ebay. If not, pass it on to someone who's parting a few together.
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Banned

Noisey, noisey, noisey

VERY hard to find parts
VERY hard to calibrate

eBay

I am being truthful with you.
If someone gave me one I might look it over for any useful parts.
I wouldn't think of restoring it.

If you have nothing else to do you might want to play with it, but it will probably take some work to get it to perform to anything close to useful specs.
If you know nothing about analog tape decks it might be a learning experience.

Have fun if you do!
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

Yes, I agree that it is a noisy deck, even under the best of circumstances. You won't be doing much track bouncing on this one.
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Banned

Most importantly....
There are LOTS of parts that TEAC doesn't have replacement stock of.
It has been near impossible to re-build these decks for quite a few years.

Not only that...
When new they didn't perform that great sonically.

They WERE a pice of audio history.
The allowed a lot of people to get started at multi-track.

I had a 3440 which was the next series and it was a decent deck.
I still have tapes from it too.
They don't sound too bad, but they are kinda' noisey.
I had already spent years on pro decks when I used the 3440 at home, so I knew how to record.
TASCAMs are always a compromise.
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

clean the heads with head cleaner demag if you can and Slap a reel on the 4 track and give it a go . If it records and plays back fine then keep it and have fun . Ive made some very good recordings one these . Sure it wont be as "clean " as a pro deck but it sure has that fun tape mojo going on . Now if there are problems with the transport or playback and record are not working correctly , ebay it .
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Gear Guru

I've had 3 TASCAM four tracks in that class (and still have a 40-4) and I agree with what folks above say. It might be fun if everything kind of works -- but don't try to make a lifestyle out of it. It's a 30 year old design (and likely almost that old a machine), TASCAM stopped supporting them w/parts back in the 80s, and while many of us old timers started our own recording rigs with one (or more -- even in the 80s people bought spares for parts, I know I did), and have plenty of nostalgia, those of us who tried to keep them running -- and, ha ha, aligned (hope you have the slippery, rubbery, extremely flexible tentacles of a space alien if you want to get in there to the alignment trim pots) -- probably well understand the limits of nostalgia.
msm07
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

I'll take some pictures and upload them soon, my dad seems to have a lot of this stuff lying around and they are literally just gathering dust. I can't see myself using it, maybe for show? lol Just have it sitting looking pretty lol
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Gear Guru

for a lot of people, myself included, their first multi-track deck

Simul-sync!

I didn't love it, but I loved what I could do with it, loved learning about recording with it.

high nostalgia value for some of us, but seriously, NOT what people are talking about when they talk about the glories of Tape.

Clean it up and put it in your Museum.

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

I just restored and digitized a batch of synth-pop tapes from the 80s for a musician who made them on an old 3340s - they sounded just fine! I was amazed at the lack of hiss and distortion.

But I would not use one to record now, unless for fun. They will not perform well enough to give much advantage of the "tape sound" - you should use a professional 24 track or 2 track for that to make it worth the hassle.

Lou
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Banned

The sound was at the edge of use-able even in it's day, but the 80-8 wasn't a giant leap forward and it was what The Euryhthmic's hit "Sweet Dreams" was recorded on.

Too bad they didn't have an Ampex 1" AG-440!

It does create the "far-away" and guaze veiled sound though.
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Gear maniac

Well, maybe they aren't pro decks, but I love the 3340. I recommend firing it up and recording a bass directly in through the mic input. You can get a chance to hear what tape compression does to bass. I have been searching for a DI for years to try to get that sound in the digital world. Nothing comes close.

I never could afford one at the time, just borrowed them from friends. I had a Dokorder, which was a Teac wanna be, but it died and they went broke early on, so I let it go.

What I remember about the 3340:

The simul sync switches made the tracks being synced to sound really thin when overdubbing and I have some demos I made where you can hear the punch ins big time "KA-lunk!"

4 tracks seems so limiting now, but it forced me to think about what was really necessary for the song to work, pretty much prevented overproduction.

NO LATENCY ISSUES!!! NO UPGRADE PATH! NO PC CRASHES!

It seems like I remember those things weighing about 50 lbs. and being really awkward to move around, but those decks were the first chance I had to record multitrack without using 2 decks or bouncing with "sound on sound" on an Akai 2 track I had.

This guy restores them here in Texas: Vintage Texas
and I bet there are other places closer to you that do it as well.

Maybe it is because it was the formative years of my songwriting, but if I had a 3340 again, I would never sell it.......

bilco
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

weighing a ton...lol definately true
1st December 2008
Old 1st December 2008
Gear addict

gee...i put mine out with the garbage in 2006.
1st December 2008
Old 1st December 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm07 View Post
I've just found 2 teac reel to reel machines in my dads storage. Are they any of any use? One is a 4 channel the other 2. I've given them a google search and a lot of info has come up but would like to hear from some of you guys. Should I just ebay them?
Good machine to learn on, I did. I wouldn't bother with it at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
They're nice sounding machines with a clear extended high-end.
I don't know about an extended high-end.

I listened hard but could not see
Life's tempo change out and inside me

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search